Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (cwbrider16)      Join Date: May 2004       08-24-2005, 8:01 AM Reply   
how well do dry suits work? summer here in MA is winding down and since we are just getting our boat in this weekend, i am going to want to ride as much as possible. Is it worth buying one? thanks
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-24-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
yeah you will need one in late september and october riding. Check out the O'Neill Boost or BARE Drysuits.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-24-2005, 11:02 AM Reply   
I'm in New Jersey and I haven't used my dry suit since November 2003. I usually don't get the boat in until early May and by that time I can just tough it out with a full wetsuit. We usally ride until late October/early November and the full wetsuit still does the trick. I really don't like wearing that dopey drysuit. If it's so cold that a dry suit has to be worn, then for me it's too cold to really have an enjoyable day on the boat.
Old    jetgofish            08-24-2005, 11:09 AM Reply   
Mikeyt - I own a BARE and love it, granted I live on the CA Delta, but it still gets cold out here in winter ... I love mine and love riding in the winter ...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-24-2005, 11:12 AM Reply   
I hate them too. But they make December-February ridable.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-24-2005, 11:27 AM Reply   
Meant to say Late October & November before the lake freezes over.
Old     (gatorhator)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-24-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
Man I feel sorry for you guys... I love Florida. Last year we rode Christmas day in the same shorts I had on yesterday.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-24-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
Mikey,

We bought our dry suits last year and LOVE them! While they are slightly cumbersom, it is way warmer than a wet suit. If you are in the market to buy one, I have a Wet Tech bag suit (as opposed to a neoprene dry suit) and Tate rides wearing a Bare bag suit. I bought a neoprene one first and even though I stayed dry, I was still cold as I wasn't able to put anything on under it. I traded it in for the bag suit. Now I am able to wear my sweats underneath and I'm nice and cozy.

Attached is a pic of me in my dry suit. Ignore the big ass life jacket, I forgot mine at home that day and had to wear a larger one. I am usuallly able to wear my life jacket UNDER the dry suit so even that stays dry.

I also bought a thin neoprene hood to keep my head from getting too wet and cold.

Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-24-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
I'm about to buy one myself, my buddy and his wife both have the O'Neill Boost. It is a really nice suit, made for wakeboarding. He rides in it without any problems. Looks pretty comfortable actually. Can't wait to get mine to prolong this season and get an early start on next season
Old    260searay            08-24-2005, 2:27 PM Reply   
I live in NE ohio and have a Bare and love it. The water is all ready cooling down here so i am sure i will be wearing it by the beginning of Sept.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-24-2005, 2:48 PM Reply   
I don't wear a life jacket when i'm wearing a drysuit, it provides enough float for me.
Old    jetgofish            08-24-2005, 3:08 PM Reply   
Mango are you nutty? Every have a suit blow out on you? Ever get even a little water in the suit? It happens, even though a dry suit provides float, I'd still rather know I'm safe by wearing a life jacket, that suit fills with water from a hole, a blow out etc your are gone before your friends can turn the boat around. I'd rather be safe than sorry but to each their own. Safety first my friend ...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-24-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
Teri is right. You fall hard enough to blow out your suit and knock yourself out, you're history. Your suit could fill with water and take you down.

I can't beleive we're talking about drysuits already. Let's change the subject!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-25-2005, 7:54 AM Reply   
I sell good drysuits for $199 plus shipping - actually American made, not cheap Asian imports.

Drysuits work well. Do not buy too big - makes it hard to manuver in the water.

rider@boarditup.com
Old    rdizzle            08-25-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
Karl, you got pics?
Old     (cwbrider16)      Join Date: May 2004       08-25-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
karl
are they good brand..any pics, website?
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-25-2005, 9:10 AM Reply   
anyone know a good place to have one repaired? My buddy gave me his old one last night, but I need to have one of the arm cuffs repaired.
Old    jetgofish            08-25-2005, 9:15 AM Reply   
Call the manufacturer or take it to a local surf shop and see if they can help you!

If you make it down to Santa Cruz there are a few shops there that repair... try Cope and Mcpheator (sp) in Reno, see what they say. Now is the time to get the suit in before it's too late!

(Message edited by jetgofish on August 25, 2005)
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-25-2005, 9:23 AM Reply   
thanks Teri, I'll try Cope's. We don't do much surfing up here so I think I'm out of luck with the surf shop.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-25-2005, 9:23 AM Reply   
Take it to a local scuba diving shop. They will send it out to have it repaired. They deal with dry suits ALL THE TIME.
Old     (cwbrider16)      Join Date: May 2004       08-25-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
karl
nvm, found the website in your profile, and i'll look into it
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-25-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
There should be a few dive shops around your area as people do dive out of Tahoe.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-25-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
Thanks Renee, I'll look into that.
Old     (nautiquerider27)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-25-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
go with a wet suit - my friends dry suit got ripped while we were riding back in may with 55 degree water. Then it just cut off his circulation and ended up making matters worse. I was wearing a wetsuit and i was fine.
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-25-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   
Somebody say cold!
cold
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-25-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
Depending on the outside air temperature, a wet suit is sometimes ok. We have those too.

If it's cold or raining outside (like in the pictures of me above), you will definately want a dry suit. When you get out of the water, you will never warm if you are wearing a wet suit. I usually have a blanket and some slippers on hand to keep extra warm.

If it's nice and warm outside, definately go with a wet suit. The cool water will feel good once you get in and when you get out, you will have no problem getting warm again.

Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-25-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
Holy crap Dave! Are those chunks of ice floating around you..
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-25-2005, 11:26 AM Reply   
To answer the questions - the drysuits are very high quality. Except for the zipper and seals (wear items), the suit has a mfgr warranty. They are on my website at www.boarditup.com. I don't carry too many sizes in stock, so order about 2 weeks before need. Also, I do have 4/3 taped and glued suits that are very warm, but may be more comfortable for some people and water conditions - $179 plus shipping. Since I am very warm blooded, I use the 4/3 most of the time - April/May and Septmeber/October in Michigan.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-25-2005, 11:52 AM Reply   

quote:

To answer the questions - the drysuits are very high quality. Except for the zipper and seals (wear items),

Isnt that what makes or breaks a suit? Usually that is the first thing that goes out in a dry suit.

I have a Bare Ultra Dryand its going on its second season with no problems so far.
Old    natxbrotha            08-25-2005, 12:15 PM Reply   
i baught the BARE ultra dry suit a couple years ago and the neck on it ripped about 8 months to a year into owning it... right in the middle of winter riding season. luckily i bought it through grizzly-sports.com because BARE wouldnt repair it for free under warranty so Grizzly sports hooked me up and picked up the 50$ cost to repair it. BARE has proved to me they have crappy customer service. the seals on the ultra dry suit arent that thick either. the Gladiator (overtons) suit is made better than the BARE in my opinion. the oneill is really nice too.

on a side note: i like to wear my life jacket underneat my suit so i dont have to deal with a wet vest when i get out of the water.
Old    jetgofish            08-25-2005, 12:29 PM Reply   
Cody - Sorry to hear you didn't get good customer service with BARE. I've owned my suit for 3 seasons now and I store and care for it properly. I've never had a seal tear or anything. I think proper storage and maintenance is key. At the end of the winter season prior to storing my suit I rub all the seals with 303 and lube the zipper. I keep it hung on an extra large and wide hanger in the VERY back of my hall closet (which is hardly opened, stays the same temp and has little to no humidity) all summer long, lube my zipper once again and wipe off all the seals just before winter and I've NEVER had a problem. I have found that I do need to add a little stretch to the seals each season to losen them up, but that is easily fixed by fitting a beer bottle in each seal (I have small wrists and ankles).