Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-11-2020, 7:38 AM Reply   
Does anyone else long for the good old days at WW where there was some actual real discussion of wake sports, boats and the like? I used to come here to get stoked on more water and boat time but it seems posting and traffic has fallen off a cliff and the majority of discussion left is political, football, etc. Such a bummer.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-11-2020, 11:41 AM Reply   
yeah, i don't know what happened. everyone on the mfg specific forums maybe...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-12-2020, 1:24 AM Reply   
yes and it sucks. hopefully it's just the winter lull and things will pick up soon.

there's still a good bit of information here if you search. Friend bought a supra last summer. I didn't know squat about supras much less the newer ones. he couldn't get ballast setup figured out. came on here, found the goofy and regular surf setup in a few minutes. not sure if there's enough activity to keep it going

been 45° and rainy for a few days. can't wait for summer

Last edited by denverd1; 02-12-2020 at 1:29 AM.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-12-2020, 7:07 AM Reply   
I remember the old daze. I used to swing by daily to read the threads and enjoy the fellowship of other boarders. Now it's all back and forth political BS, shame to see this site go that route. I swing by once a month or so now, the political BS has been a major turn-off for me.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-12-2020, 8:04 AM Reply   
Nobody modifies anything anymore. We used to buy boats with one or no ballast tanks them spend the off season ripping them out and adding our own pumps and sac's. Same with the radio. The old factory systems would have one 150 watt amp to power 4 tower speakers and 6 interior speakers plus the sub LOL. (at least my 06 supra did)

At the boat show the other day the new Supra SA came with a killer system with two subs. And the factory ballast is what 4,000 pounds.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       02-12-2020, 10:25 AM Reply   
I guess its a different clientele, and new technology means people tend to go to other places - most people access it through news feeds rather than wanting to discuss it I'm thinking. We definitely lost / miss the grassroots base when (perceived) entry boats are @ $100K - it is really seen s a wealthy person's sport (and I guess it kind of is). Many of us older riders are injuring ourselves or having families/more work requirements and not getting out as much. I suppose the only way we can fix this is to post more content ourselves and keep the discussion positive and alive!
Old     (WilhelmHertzog)      Join Date: Jan 2015 Location: Cape Town, South Africa       02-12-2020, 6:55 PM Reply   
For sure. Have the discussions moved to Twitter/Instagram/Facebook?
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       02-13-2020, 7:59 AM Reply   
I agree with what others have said. The politics, especially during the last presidential election were a turn off. Plus some activity has moved to manufacturer forms, social media etc. I also think the hardcore people have gotten older and might just have less time. For me, I sitll check this occasionally, but get a lot of other value from the wake subreddit, boat manufactuerer forum and following pros/brands on instagram.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-13-2020, 8:27 AM Reply   
Agree with Razor its a rich kids sport now so less of those to talk up wakeboarding. Look at what a new set up is just on boards and boots. I am a capitalist and glad all those companies are KILLING it. I am still rocking the 02 Xstar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorjaw View Post
I guess its a different clientele, and new technology means people tend to go to other places - most people access it through news feeds rather than wanting to discuss it I'm thinking. We definitely lost / miss the grassroots base when (perceived) entry boats are @ $100K - it is really seen s a wealthy person's sport (and I guess it kind of is). Many of us older riders are injuring ourselves or having families/more work requirements and not getting out as much. I suppose the only way we can fix this is to post more content ourselves and keep the discussion positive and alive!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-13-2020, 8:31 AM Reply   
The keyboard warriors ran off all of the experts and the quality of discussion dropped dramatically.

That and it all became about the boats and not what you do behind them.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-13-2020, 9:20 AM Reply   
I don't really think the keyboard warriors ran off the experts. I actually think the keyboard warriors brought a more honest perspective most of the time. And I think there is plenty of room for both.

I think the experts - i know i feel this way sometimes - get tired of the same stupid questions when people are too lazy to even do a search or do to see if the question already been asked and answered.

Maybe the conversations have just run their course...I mean, for just one example, how many times can someone ask and experts tell someone how to do a heelside frontside 360? Like on youtube, an expert can only do one video tutorial on a trick, pretty much. So many of the pro-riders have now done all the tricks, and now are doing relative bull like how to wakeboard on a guitar or other crap.

It is super hard to come up with fresh content.

Last edited by scottb7; 02-13-2020 at 9:25 AM.
Old     (lucas200397)      Join Date: Aug 2013       02-13-2020, 9:21 PM Reply   
Mastercraft team talk is pretty busy, moomba, mbsports, and planet nautique as well. Everything else is hit or miss.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-14-2020, 1:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottog1979 View Post
Does anyone else long for the good old days at WW where there was some actual real discussion of wake sports, boats and the like? I used to come here to get stoked on more water and boat time but it seems posting and traffic has fallen off a cliff and the majority of discussion left is political, football, etc. Such a bummer.
With that said, what tricks are you working on this season?
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-14-2020, 2:14 AM Reply   
I am in my early 40’s now and everyone I wake boarded with when I was younger are done, I think the high impact takes it toll on most people. The new generation is pretty soft and just doesn’t want to get hurt. They do a lot of surfing.

There are still some youngsters coming up on my lake. I ride with some teenagers because there is no one really my age or in their 30’s that still ride.

I am pushing my kids towards riding but they are 4 and 6 so they have ways to go to see if they seriously get into it.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-14-2020, 2:16 AM Reply   
I am working on switch inverts and some of the mobes I have lost over the years. I am going to push it until my body breaks. Lots of off season training so that I can take punishment.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-14-2020, 2:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeeater2003 View Post
I am working on switch inverts and some of the mobes I have lost over the years. I am going to push it until my body breaks. Lots of off season training so that I can take punishment.
Haha! Isn't that the way it goes. I'm 39, I hate going to the gym, but go 4-5 days a week just so I can beat myself up. I go until I break. Heal, rehab, train and then back out to break myself off again.

Back when I was young my mom would tell me that I am addicted wake boarding. I would tell her at least it is not drugs, booze or women. Now I look back and those may have all be easier on my body....
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-14-2020, 3:08 AM Reply   
With my back feeling better (several herniated discs, couple years off the board) i'm really looking forward to this season. shopping for a new whip.

will get 3's back first the try to my luck on inverts.

What are you guys riding this year? probably topic for another thread...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-14-2020, 3:26 AM Reply   
oops...
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       02-14-2020, 10:42 AM Reply   
gree it seems like the younger crowd wants to just surf or not go at all. I'm lucky to have a solid crew to ride with a few boats between us. Most everyone is in their 30s and 40s though. Not a ton young rippers in my area or at least that I know personally.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-15-2020, 9:26 AM Reply   
This thread makes me reminisce of the old days with West Coast Walt, Gary, Billy, etc. I made some great friends through this website. I am guilty of checking out and contributing to the lack of traffic/content. Being on the wrong side of 35 with a young family doesn't help. 2000-2010 were the "golden years" for my wakeboarding career that I will cherish forever. Currently it's more about spending time with my family (getting them stoked on the sport) than "riding with bros and smackin dubs as often as possible".
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-16-2020, 2:57 AM Reply   
The best thing for my riding was getting out with some younger guys. Wakeboarding is constantly changing and to ride with some youngbloods really freshened up my outlook.

I feel like they are fewer and further in between, but there are some kids killing it harder than ever.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-16-2020, 5:52 PM Reply   
Great thread, I can totally relate. I used to check this site multiple times daily. Now I go weeks or months. The content is gone. Its all about the boats and image, not the riding.

Where I live (Alberta, Canada), no one wakeboards. They only surf. Since 2013 I have yet to see a SINGLE wakeboarder ride behind a G23 on our lake and we probably have 20 of them on the lake. Maybe more. Even the young kids I take out only want to surf. When I look at Social Media all I see is Park riding. We have no parks, and at 43 that doesn't interest me at all. The freedom and fun of boat riding with your family/crew just cant' be matched riding around a slew at a cable park.

I used to love to come here and read about different tricks, watch other guys edits, discuss boat and upgrades and generally just geek out about wakeboarding. I really miss it.

The golden years are definitely behind us.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-17-2020, 1:42 AM Reply   
The freedom and fun of cable riding w/ a couple hundred grand in park toys to hit just cant' be matched by dealing with boat issues and having to wait your turn.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-17-2020, 3:33 AM Reply   
If i had a cable park by me, i would be all over it. boating is meh....can't be too busy on the lake, can't be too windy, can't be too cold, need a boat, have to have a driver. then you get a 15 minute fun every hour or so...
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-17-2020, 6:07 AM Reply   
37 here and I'm going to get that damn backroll finally and toe 3. Been closer on a toe 3 than a backroll but I've try more than 100 backrolls over the years. I just can't get it to slow down in my mind. And I always feel like I can't keep the handle in!!!! I know what to do I just can't get my body to do it.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-17-2020, 8:20 AM Reply   
Backroll tip: Progressive edge, T-Rex arms, bite your ear. Thats the advice that worked for me.

I basically learned the basics through this forum, not just tricks, but boat driving, rope lengths, etc. Met quite a few people through this forum also. It's funny when I first started i really didn't have friends riding with me to teach me all this, i had to come to this forum, and teach my friends who i was grooming to be my riding crew. Over the years I have taught 90% of what becomes my regular riding crew. The rest of the people i ride with live a few hours away and we usually connect a few times per year. It's been fun, last year I didn't ride as much as i would have liked, this year I plan to get back in the game. The main trick on my list is toe 7. I can spin them with the handle but cant seem to keep my chin up for the stomp, I usually slide out the back handle in hand. It's crazy that people are doing w2w 10s consistent and I feel like a 7 is almost impossible.. Oh well, I just want to feel the feeling. Oh yeah, I turn 30 in august - it's not an issue as i still feel like a spring chicken, but responsibilities get in the way of riding time a lot more these days. I'm very thankful when the stars align and I get to ride on a low wind, good temp, no boat traffic, solid wake kinda day. It's about the most fun i can have with my clothes on.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-17-2020, 9:59 AM Reply   
Jonblarc7 - everyone responds to different advice or comments and has different hurdles or bad habits to overcome when learning tricks. The two best things I did for my riding was to ride with people better than me and take a lesson here and there (from reputable people who could at least do the tricks I wanted to learn).
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-18-2020, 6:52 AM Reply   
While this forum declining is disheartening, I miss full length wake vids that absolutely just blow your mind. I used to watch the old vis tapes until they broke. I remember rewinding certain tricks over and over again for hours. Then came DVDs which solved that problem of tape breaking. Theres a few old VHS tapes that were super good but I wore mine out and can't find replacements (flatline being one). I have The Truth playing in the background right now. Yesterday was Mayday. Those full length videos just get you so fired up to ride and try new tricks. Dowdy posted something on IG yesterday with the hashtag #deathtoinstaedits. I really wish social media would go away. When the local cable opened up the owner didn't know me but I am on the local Connelly team and we had a discount program. The cable owner asked me how many IG followers I had. Seriously? It has come to that? A qualification based on an empty drive of who has the most followers?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-18-2020, 10:45 AM Reply   
I too miss the discussion and the DIY boat pimpin threads seeing what others are doing to their boats. It's also hard now that all of the manufacturers include all the latest tech so there isn't much of a need to go aftermarket. That being said I have a 09 Tige and I love nothing more than the tinkering. Over the years I've done a laundry list of stuff to my boat. I've redone all of the ballast, just finished redoing my stereo, made the boxes, amp rack, LED rings for speakers and cup holders. The list goes on and on.....which is what this site was in its heyday. -see what I did there? lol.

I tell everyone I'm a total boat nerd. Half my hobby is being out on the boat and the other half is tinkering on it in my garage.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2020, 10:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
I too miss the discussion and the DIY boat pimpin threads seeing what others are doing to their boats. It's also hard now that all of the manufacturers include all the latest tech so there isn't much of a need to go aftermarket. That being said I have a 09 Tige and I love nothing more than the tinkering. Over the years I've done a laundry list of stuff to my boat. I've redone all of the ballast, just finished redoing my stereo, made the boxes, amp rack, LED rings for speakers and cup holders. The list goes on and on.....which is what this site was in its heyday. -see what I did there? lol.

I tell everyone I'm a total boat nerd. Half my hobby is being out on the boat and the other half is tinkering on it in my garage.
As you know, the OG of boat pimpin has a new thread goin. Just like old times sorta.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809278
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-19-2020, 4:23 AM Reply   
As one of the originals here, and the original WW site, I still show up here, but yes water time has decreased. At 50, and being a large man, my body has been pretty beat up between wake, volleyball, football and moto. Now when I hit the water, I maintain tricks and looks to be happy with being outside doing what I love to do. The days of me trying really hard tricks are long gone. I am still passionate as I always was but just has to squeeze in with everything else in my life. I come here to talk about life, sports, and even politics. Just like all the other forums I utilize, they all go through stages of helpfulness. I have met hundreds of friends on this site and will always continue to be here. I am fortunate to be on the Wakeboarding Hall of Fame Board and get to see tons of great memories, photos and videos.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-20-2020, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
As you know, the OG of boat pimpin has a new thread goin. Just like old times sorta.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809278
I'm enjoying getting a fresh look at all the custom stuff he's added through the years
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-28-2020, 2:00 AM Reply   
Man the Northern Utah "find a third" used to be on fire, we are talking years ago. I just went through so many pages down memory lane since 2010.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-05-2020, 2:14 AM Reply   
I haven't been here in years, but decided to roll through this AM, for some reason. I'm still convinced that the $100k wakeboat ruined the industry. When we started riding we were all in our early 20's and bought new boats. 4 guys in our crew. 4 boats. Thise were some of the best days of my life. How many kids can roll out of college and pay for a $80k starter boat?

If definitely takes a toll on the body, too. In my early 40's I'm still feeling good, but I'm not into pounding myself like I used to.

Cool to see a bunch of the same screen names still on here. What's up, guys?!?!
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-05-2020, 4:46 AM Reply   
Well the price of the boats doesn't help. I don't think it is the driver in decrease of interest, as you can always get a good used boat.

I think interest just peaked and declined. Used to be bowling was popular also. Things come and go.

The 20 somethings must be doing something else.

Let's face it moving from amateurs to intermediate (360, toeside jump, and a coulple inverts) is pretty difficult. Most people gonna quit after one or two good falls.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-06-2020, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
I haven't been here in years, but decided to roll through this AM, for some reason. I'm still convinced that the $100k wakeboat ruined the industry. When we started riding we were all in our early 20's and bought new boats. 4 guys in our crew. 4 boats. Thise were some of the best days of my life. How many kids can roll out of college and pay for a $80k starter boat?

If definitely takes a toll on the body, too. In my early 40's I'm still feeling good, but I'm not into pounding myself like I used to.

Cool to see a bunch of the same screen names still on here. What's up, guys?!?!
what's up Evan!? you guys getting any riding in lately?

should be getting out this weekend
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-07-2020, 2:11 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding is dying and forums are dying. A forum about wakeboarding is going to struggle. Neither thing will ever be fully dead. But they’ve both largely been replaced. It’s kind of hard to even use this site on a smartphone, which is the device most people use to browse the internet these days. This used to be THE place I came to keep up with the sport from what gear is available to what riders are doing to how to set up my boat. Now I keep track of gear and riders on social media. I learned about the Murray board I bought from a video Shaun Murray put on Instagram. That’s really cool. It’s something wakeworld just can’t really offer other than as a link in a post.

For boat setup, the manufacturer forums are just better at that. They’re not actively hostile towards people trying to sac out their boat anymore. And it’s info for my specific boat by people who own my specific boat. I always liked the cross-pollination here and I even sometimes miss things like Ryan posting in unrelated threads to brag about his (actually his dad’s) XStar. But that made it harder to search for information and get accurate info.

We probably could’ve been more supportive of wakesurfing when it came on the scene. We probably could’ve gotten the forum into a more mobile-friendly format. But in the end I just think that delays the inevitable. A forum about wakeboarding is never going to be as lively as it was in the late 90’a - early 2000’s. And that’s ok. I will never forget the first time I got up on a wakeboard. It was magical in a way nothing else ever was on the water. But that was 23 years ago. The enjoyment is still there but the magic is gone and the harder I try to hold onto it the less I can appreciate that moment in time for what it was.
Old     (Koolaid)      Join Date: Feb 2018       05-07-2020, 3:49 AM Reply   
Well said hal2814. The scary part about forums dying is the lack of archiving information. Instagram and facebook are not good ways to archive info. So 10 years from now when someone has a 2020 and they want to do X with it, there isn't going to be a good place to look up anything. The request will have to be remade on facebook (if it will even be relevant by that time) or posted on some other platform. I don't think companies or most people in general understand the long term importance of forums for future information. They are not focusing on mobile like you said so that the forums stay relevant. I just see most major social media platforms dying off within 10 years. Watch the youth of today. They don't use FB, IG or twitter. They use Reddit for posting to the masses and they use discord to communicate with their close friends. Reddit is much closer of a searchable archive than most of the social media platforms that are out there.

I miss the old days of the forum too. Lots of hate towards other brands but once you knew it was biased it was hilarious.

The sport of wakeboarding has gone with slalom. Wake surfing is easier on old people like myself and its easy to get new people into it without getting hurt. It's going to be around for a long time.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-07-2020, 4:55 AM Reply   
"The sport of wakeboarding has gone with slalom."

LOL. Imagine the blank stares and sh*t you'd take making this statement 15 years ago! A good lesson for being humble today.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-07-2020, 1:00 PM Reply   
There was a lot of great stuff coming from people on here back in the day. I especially loved the wakeskaters who were certain that their sport was the ultimate and it was well on its way to eclipsing wakeboarding. I also loved the people who tried to convince us that if we rode "properly" (i.e. the way they said we should) that we'd finally gain the respect of surfers and skaters. Because why would we ride for fun when we could be riding to gain the respect of people that didn't care about us?

My sincere hope is that we have enough variety in future boards and bindings for years to come. Waterskiing still has a market so I think we should be fine.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-12-2020, 2:55 PM Reply   
I do miss the old days. So many friend and riders, it was awesome.

But is it isn’t all bad now, my wife and I still charge it as hard as we can and our little boys are into the sport. It is definitely different now but I don’t love it any less. If anything I respect my time on the water more because one bad crash and it could be all done.

Plus there is nothing better than family time one boat.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       05-13-2020, 12:41 AM Reply   
I actually think sites like this will return in popularity, big time. I'm sure things have been trending down in the past 5-10 years but I'd also bet in the past year or so, when people started to distance themselves from Facebook especially, traffic started trending back up.
Facebook and Twitter, even Reddit are just too saturated with other content even if they're designed to let enthusiasts enthuse over stuff. They can't really be trusted and aren't worth the risk for a lot of people. I suspect traffic is coming back up on sites like WakeWorld and CorrectCraftFan etc. Counting a place like this "out" is.... not a bet I would take.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-13-2020, 6:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhawk View Post
I actually think sites like this will return in popularity, big time. I'm sure things have been trending down in the past 5-10 years but I'd also bet in the past year or so, when people started to distance themselves from Facebook especially, traffic started trending back up.
Facebook and Twitter, even Reddit are just too saturated with other content even if they're designed to let enthusiasts enthuse over stuff. They can't really be trusted and aren't worth the risk for a lot of people. I suspect traffic is coming back up on sites like WakeWorld and CorrectCraftFan etc. Counting a place like this "out" is.... not a bet I would take.
agreed. being unable to search for content is what IMO sets us apart from the social media frenzy we're all experiencing. hope so, this is a solid spot when people are active
Old     (BennMarine)      Join Date: May 2019 Location: Maine       08-16-2020, 3:46 AM Reply   
Oof. I can relate so much to this thread. I used to LIVE on here in the early 2000's, so much so that Dave made me a moderator. I remember in fall of 2003 in my first year of college staying up all night on WakeWorld, soaking up every bit of info I could about wake. I was hooked. But I left the industry late 2009 with my tail between my legs feeling a bit like a failure (because I never made the big money I thought I should have, looking back maybe it just wasn't there to make?) and am just now trying to find my way back to the sport I love. Soo much has changed though. I mean I've been looking into getting a boat and... holy bananas its crazy. I just don't understand how its a sustainable market, those boats are soo niche and if the niche is dying how can they get those crazy premiums? I mean some of them are over $200k!!! That's wild to me!!! Is it possible we see a price drop in those boats in the future?
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-16-2020, 6:33 AM Reply   
You answered your own question, BennMarine. If the prices are sustainable then the niche boatmakers are selling to is alive and well. That niche isn’t wakeboarding anymore. A Mastercraft rep literally laughed when asked him about the wakeboard wake behind the NXTs at the last boat shown I went to. He told me I’d forget all about wakeboarding after surfing it. Nobody is marketing wakeboarding anymore. If anything, it’s a secondary concern now. Look at all the new features. They’re all surf-related. There are some newer players in the budget space like Heyday and ATX but “budget” now is $80k or so. I don’t see that going down any time soon.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-17-2020, 1:18 PM Reply   
This season was the first season I got "somewhat" back into wakeboarding (1-3x per week) and it was "bittersweet". Being 38 yrs old and around the sport since middle school I have concerns. This is not about wakesurfing...per se. Soapbox warning

I am told this year was an abnormality (newly relocated to the Sac, CA area). Boat market = insane: Larsons sold their entire inventory pre July 4. Wally's are everywhere on and off the water...driving boats with capabilities far beyond their comprehension, ignorantly negatively impacting others far beyond the norm.

IMHO there used to be a process (barrier to entry?) in throwing a large wake. I (personally) had to cross a mental threshold. If someone's driving was not sharp, flooding/sinking a boat was a reality. Not to mention the wild speculation on insurance payouts and Coast Guard Capacity Rules, etc. Running a large wake (lots of weight) was a learning process for me that was slowly built up to. IMHO the size of someone's wake would (typically) correlate with that person/crew's driving and wakeboarding abilities and experience. Filling extra sacks, putting lead into the boat, etc. were all tasks that required commitment. This (most importantly) generated a level of water knowledge and mutual respect/etiquette that came with that wake growth process. With these new boats (massive freeboard) that's all gone. I have watched more than one fully weighted new boat towing tubes through the only good water of our local lake vs. the main channel. I have seen many others fully weighted power turning, and just simply destroying the water via ignorance.

I am all for sharing the water/experience, etc. But, the new class of boats forces me to drive my 2000 vlx (when it's un-weighted) like it has 4500lbs of weight; just to avoid taking on water... it transcends irony. I watched a Wally poach a no wake zone in a fully weighted mxz with 10 dudes. I thought..."cool I might get to see someone shred on a wakeboard" (it seems 90% of people surf these days)...nope Heel side hero straight un-grabbed airs.

Last edited by liquidmx; 08-17-2020 at 1:20 PM. Reason: .
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       08-17-2020, 2:30 PM Reply   
I think you hit the nail on the head. Never thought about how in the past usually it was hardcores putting out the big wakes and now it's any old newb who can sign a 20 yr loan.

I wonder what to do about it though. Education is needed but not sure how to transmit it. Should the dealers step it up? Maybe it needs to come from somewhere else. I know yelling at people on the lake doesn't work.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-18-2020, 1:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloungelife View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. Never thought about how in the past usually it was hardcores putting out the big wakes and now it's any old newb who can sign a 20 yr loan.

I wonder what to do about it though. Education is needed but not sure how to transmit it. Should the dealers step it up? Maybe it needs to come from somewhere else. I know yelling at people on the lake doesn't work.
What I call the "boater-class" has brought in the worst crowd. Wealthy, entitled, no desire whatsoever to actually learn how to safely use their boat. The most common question that I have gotten at the last two boat shows in a row is, "how well does this boat handle chop." These guys use the towers to hold speakers and just go to the sandbar and back. More people are buying boats than ever, but the sport is not growing in-step. They are just boaters.

I think dealers are trying to step up. I know two dealers in Houston that do a 4hr on-water training session with new boat owners. They sound like a nightmare. A few great call-backs that salesmen I know have gotten. 1.) I've had this boat for a month and now it won't back to the left. 2.) My prop hit my trailer, it shouldn't be able to do that. Those are boating fundamentals that were 100% covered--they aren't the type of people who listen....

Be careful out there guys. Labor Day is coming and they will all be gone.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-18-2020, 2:18 AM Reply   
That came off super negative. More wakeboard boats on the water creates more opportunity for the sport. Maybe these boater's kids and grandkids will take advantage a good boat. I can't wait until we can start having fun events again.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       08-18-2020, 2:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
That came off super negative. More wakeboard boats on the water creates more opportunity for the sport. Maybe these boater's kids and grandkids will take advantage a good boat. I can't wait until we can start having fun events again.
It's understandable! Agreed that getting more events would be great.

What I wonder is how we get these new boat owners to not want to look like a newb on the lake. I think most have some concept of a newb from some hobby/career/passion in their lives. How do we translate that to how they look at boating and watersports?
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-18-2020, 4:56 AM Reply   
This is interesting. I've been wakeboarding since 1998. I've been around boats my whole life and owned my first wakeboat with ballast and a tower in 2001. I've been fortunate to have a good wakeboat ever since. I've watched the scene go from Skiing to wakeboarding to surfing. Everyone on my lake is surfing now but wakeboarding and skiing are starting to come back to what is likely a normal sustainable level. At some point, surfing will drop off to a normal level just like wakeboarding and skiing have done. Wallys will always be around. They always have been. It is just a fact of life and we can't control other people so I just live with it and don't upset myself with it. Boats will likely always remain expensive. There are expensive surf boats all over my lake and it appears all of them are used for surfing. People are buying these boats with the intent to surf and they are using them to surf. I use mine to surf, wakeboard, ski, and tube and we have fun doing all of it. I hope to never be without a boat and will continue to watch things change while I continue to have fun with my family and friends on the water.
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-26-2020, 11:54 AM Reply   
I know I don’t own the lake but surfing in the coves has been driving me nuts. We ski,wakeboard,surf,and even tube. Skiing and wakeboarding are in the morning and surfing and tubes are only allowed in the afternoons out in the main body of the lake.(our boating rules).It used to be common curtesy but as others have stated the entitled peeps out there seem to lack that.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-27-2020, 1:56 AM Reply   
Here is my get off my lawn moment.

I have offered to help all the younger kids (teenagers) on our lake learn to wake board better. They are all content just chilling and jumping the wake. I don’t know where the drive is to be better? When I was younger there was healthy competition to learn new tricks and try and be better than one another. Now there seems to be no drive. Maybe it is not a bad things but is is just so different from how I grew up in sports In general.

I want my kids to have fun but also want them to give maximum effort in whatever they do. They are still young 7 and 5, it will be interesting how they turn out. My 7 year old already rides better than quite a few of the older kids but he seems more inclined to do it and push himself at this time. I am have no grand illusions about my kids be pro, just want them to be the best they can be at anything they do.
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-27-2020, 4:59 AM Reply   
Bcpmike, what lake do you ride at? I’ve got a 9 and 11 yr old. The 9 yr old is very cautious but my 11 year old wants to improve. They’ve been riding since 4. My 11 year old finally got a wake to wake last year and now is consistently getting them on her heal side. She’s super coachable, very athletic and can do anything in a trampoline. Front/back front to back, back to front flips, layouts and gainers. Unfortunately I’m not much of a wakeboarder or coach. We’d love to find her some coaching. Let me know if you have any recommendations. She beats me to the boat every morning. 7 am crew, Gotta get the good water!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-23-2021, 8:56 AM Reply   
Sad... And why I don't check back here except for a couple days a week (instead of daily).
SCREEN SHOT FROM JUST NOW:
Attached Images

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-25-2021, 2:01 PM Reply   
It's the off season but yes, this site is becoming more and more a ghost town. It's too bad this used to be one of my favorite sites to hit multiple times a day.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       03-02-2021, 8:50 AM Reply   
I can relate to almost everything everyone has said here. Technology changes and things evolve I think WW will always have a small core group that comes back for the excitement of the sport but the internet has so much to offer it dilutes peoples attention. Unfortunately surfing is just easier and better suited towards family recreation since everyone can do it without getting hurt.

It is sad that so many of the next generation are so content giving up on wakeboarding after a few short attempts or a few bad falls. On to the next easier competitive endeavor. Is healthy competition in all aspects of our society waning? It is scary to think what will happen 20 or 30 years from now if people have little motivation to get better at something after a few attempts. I understand self preservation but unfortunately we live in a society of instant gratification now.

I am an older adopter and got stoked on riding around 2005. I rode obsessively for about 4 years straight and visited WW almost everyday to learn tricks checkout gear and make friends. Where does the hard core obsessive surf crowd do this? Surfing , to me, almost has a higher cost of entry because the boat has to be bigger with more displacement than wakeboarding. And surfing burns more gas! Just carving on a wakeboard is more fun than surfing to me. Surfing was what we did to kill time until the water got better. A few mini airs and a 360 at 10mph and I am bored to tears.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-02-2021, 9:21 PM Reply   
This forum blows, and has become the laughing stock of the boating/forums community. Sad.
I seem to come back for some odd reason every 3 months or so only to leave within minutes.

Last edited by Jmorlan; 03-02-2021 at 9:31 PM.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-15-2021, 10:31 AM Reply   
The sport itself has come and gone. I maybe see 3 boats a summer outside our regular crew actually towing somebody on a wakeboard. I do see about 50 boys surfing tho.

Is dinosaurs of the sport can’t argue with the wakeboat market killing off the sport as well. Wakeboat pricing is off the charts. When we were rolling I used to be able to flip boats on my deals and trade up yearly. Not I have 0 opportunity to even remotely consider a new wakeboat. The days of core riders being able to afford the sport are over. It’s an elite market now. 170k average for a wake machine these days.

While brand loyal sites def take most of the boating threads away , there is still next to zero chatter on wakeboarding in any of those. Every single post on Watersports has to do with surf .

Truly depressing. I just can’t get the surf vibe. I used to get inspired by dudes here to go out and ride. Push myself to try new things. I still get out about 80-100 hrs , but my progression is now regression dues to the stoke levels just not being there , I still love riding , but it’s hard to push yourself when you have nobody to push against or get that fire lit for when you’re not in a competitive mode. Well at least for me.

I’ve done the cable thing. Two great parks around me , but their location makes day trips a haul . I like aspect of features and the subtle changes they do to keep things fresh, but again access ability at the park is big limiting factor. Not too mention the crowds . The intimacy of the boat cockpit also plays a big factor for me.

Last edited by xstarrider; 03-15-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       03-15-2021, 11:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
I’ve done the cable thing. Two great parks around me , but their location makes day trips a haul . I like aspect of features and the subtle changes they do to keep things fresh, but again access ability at the park is big limiting factor. Not too mention the crowds . The intimacy of the boat cockpit also plays a big factor for me.
I think this is where a lot of wakeboarding is still happening and growing. I actually love going on cable trips. Our closest to Salt Lake is Imondi Wake Zone, which is about 4 hours away. Awesome owners. I get down there 4-5 weekends a year. I also have a buddy that I'll fly to parks with. Was just down in Orlando last week riding a new park everyday for 3 days straight (OWC, EWC, Nona). Also love the sacramento parks.

All in all if you're looking for wakeboard chatter, I've found the r/wake subreddit to be the best spot going. Or comments going on under JB Oneill, Shaun Murray or David OC's youtube videos. I think that format can still grow too. Rad what those 3 have accomplished.

All in all the old days are gone, but still some exciting things happening.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       03-22-2021, 7:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Truly depressing. I just can’t get the surf vibe. I used to get inspired by dudes here to go out and ride. Push myself to try new things. I still get out about 80-100 hrs , but my progression is now regression dues to the stoke levels just not being there , I still love riding , but it’s hard to push yourself when you have nobody to push against or get that fire lit for when you’re not in a competitive mode. Well at least for me.
One of the nicest places I've found is Brandon Judd's Wakeboard Instruction on FB. One of very few reasons to go on FB nowadays. But a super nice and helpful community with tons of knowledge. Which will get you stoked and inspired, often.
In contrary to the wake subreddit; yes there's a bit more activity there, but the advice given there 9 out of 10 times makes me cringe.

Let's finish with some awesomeness.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       03-24-2021, 8:04 PM Reply   
Another fantastic FB group is the Vintage Wakeboards page. Rob Absher has got together quite a community and it's all positive.

I also highly recommend the Wakeboarding Hall of Fame. They're constantly posting old school vids and again, it's a real positive and active community.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       03-25-2021, 6:50 PM Reply   
Agreed, Hall of Fame is absolute awesomeness.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-29-2021, 10:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Another fantastic FB group is the Vintage Wakeboards page. Rob Absher has got together quite a community and it's all positive.

I also highly recommend the Wakeboarding Hall of Fame. They're constantly posting old school vids and again, it's a real positive and active community.
On behalf of the Wakeboarding Hall of Fame, thank you very much for all of you who support the website/FB page and enjoy the content & community!
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       03-29-2021, 1:51 PM Reply   
We should be thanking you, Ryan! The sheer amount of content that you saved and have shared is incredible!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-29-2021, 8:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
We should be thanking you, Ryan! The sheer amount of content that you saved and have shared is incredible!
You're welcome! I'm stoked that I can contribute to the wakeboard community with the content I have. A lot more to come!
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-18-2021, 2:47 AM Reply   
Randomly dropped in today. Been a long time. I’m 41. Was in my mid 20’s when I started on this site. Now have 3 kids and we are in the lake every weekend. The stuff that used to go I here was great. I mean boat bun threads and the trolling of Ryan xstar are some that never got old. Lol. But I do agree with the new tech factor. When I started in here I had an 86 Supra. Found many tips and trick to mod that boat. Also got a great tri tip recipe from gramps! Shout out! It’s still good to see it going.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-18-2021, 4:45 AM Reply   
I agree, I too haven't checked in much.... Back in 2008 when I was unemployed and a stay at home dad of a newborn, this was some of the only adult interactions that I had.... But traffic has slowed down and life has moved on... My then newborn is now 12 almost 13 and she is a wakeboarder, but sometimes I have to beg her... I wish that she had that longing to be on the water and ride that I did when I was her age...

When I was younger, we went out in our family's 16' tri-hull (a glorified fiberglass Jon boat) with a 33 hp Evenrude outboard and my dad would pull us on the kneeboards all day... We would have 6-7 teens and my dad in that little boat and had the best time... We didn't care if the water was smooth or not, we would all fight for water time... Now my daughter has grown up in our '07 Wakesetter VLX and she only wants to ride if the water is perfect temperature...

I will try to check in more often and add what I can...
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       06-18-2021, 4:32 PM Reply   
I’ve been a member here for 16 years. When I first started here I had a 96 sunsetter Lx. I spent countless hours on this website learning how to improve my boat, ballast and learning tricks. Even lost a ton of weight when we all went on to do p90x when it first came out!

I went on to grad school and sold everything. Fast forward 11 years later and now have a Supra SA 400 with all the bells and whistles I always dreamt of. Unfortunately, I came to find out that this website and most of the wakeboarding community perished in that decade.

Very sad, but I’m still getting out there as much as I can! Cheers to hopefully reviving wakeboarding and Wakeworld as I am in dire need of finding thirds to join me on the lake as my wife is getting sick of me
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-10-2021, 5:48 AM Reply   
@spicychalupa69.....I am with you... We are out on the lake every weekend, but most everyone has quit wakeboarding for surfing �� or just quit all together. I am 50 now and I want to ride so bad, however my knees aren't cooperating. Had my left knee scoped at the end of March (3rd surgery on that knee) hoping that would help, but still in PT 3 days a week and I still have wierd stuff going on in that leg. My almost 13 yr old daughter rides some, but she doesn't have the desire that we had when we were that age... When I was that age we had a group of 5-6 of us and we didn't care that we had a crappy boat or the water was junk... We all fought to get out and ride. Now my group is down to me and another buddy who is 46 and he still wakeboards when he can get a good driver. He has a lot of other people that come out with him to surf, but most of them he does not trust to pull him at wakeboard speeds... He will surf when that's the case...
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-21-2022, 3:50 PM Reply   
After approximately 16 years of volunteering with waterski wakeboard (now wake) Alberta I stepped away from all the time and weekends organizing events before the pandemic. Our provincials used to easily have 50-80 Wakeboarders and in my final years we had 5-15 Wakeboarders and everyone else was surfing. It’s almost funny in the sense that I reached out to some members of the community who had stepped away and I was trying to entice them back and the answer was usually that it’s all surf. But I mean what do people expect when they step away for 10 plus years? Things change and those of us that tried to fight the good fight eventually threw in the towel. I don’t begrudge anyone, things definitely change. God help anyone that needs to replace a boat!

I definitely miss the days when all we wanted to do was ride behind anything that pulled us. I miss the community, I visited the CIE spring ride 3 times and visited Florida about 5-6 times. I travelled all across Alberta and attended a number of national events. Wakeboarding will always be part of my blood. The shifting demographics, absurdity of boat prices, and the overall shift in community as a whole sure make me miss the days. Those of us that have been around this long have all lost members of our former communities. Life is short. I’m still dreaming of calm waters with both the sun and moon in the sky, those are perfect days. Surrounded by good friends, being care free in the moment as we all chase a passion to enjoy that moment. Wakeboarding and wakeworld have given me some lifelong friends and for that I’ll always be greatful!
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-07-2022, 7:38 AM Reply   
I'll just chime in here that it's not all doom and gloom! Since moving to Denver, CO last summer I have met an awesome crew of wakeboarding die-hards. We'll surf or foil on occasion but we are 100% wakeboard-first. Most of us are in the 30-40yo range but there are a few younger guys too. Some real shredders doing 5s, handle pass inverts, etc. and still trying to get better even if we're over the hill on the wakeboard progression age spectrum. It feels great to get back into it...I got over 30 sets in this summer and think next summer will be even better (even if we have to wake up at 6am to avoid the surfers).

Be the change!
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-12-2022, 4:14 PM Reply   
Checking in....Haven't been on here in years but going to buy a boat. I sold my 2000 Xstar back in 2014 with the move and excited to live close to a lake again.

Last edited by mac_attack; 11-12-2022 at 4:18 PM.