Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-03-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
Saw this on the Supra forum and thought I would share.

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...o-aggrivate-us
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-03-2011, 7:02 PM Reply   
They're just jealous ......
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-03-2011, 7:18 PM Reply   
Wow, that is a good read! Some of those guys are messed in the head.
Old     (FrankJohnson)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-03-2011, 8:06 PM Reply   
i wish wakeboarding was as safe as driving 100mph around the lake
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-03-2011, 8:21 PM Reply   
Yeah, I could understand a little bit if these were casual fishermen complaining of wakeboard boats but this is coming from dudes who, in the majority of cases, think the waterways are their personal racetrack. I'd imagine they'd have to be the most hated class of recreational boat on the water.

I personally would not play music on my tower speakers or use a pa (if i had one) in an area where others were obviously enjoying the peace. I would feel bad. My normal riding spot is pretty much nothing but wakeboats and commercial marine traffic with no residential areas. When I see the occasional fisherman I avoid them whenever possible to avoid disturbing their water.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-03-2011, 8:26 PM Reply   
Does a fishing boat really need to go 100 mph?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-03-2011, 9:03 PM Reply   
^Gotta catch the fish before they run away.
There's a lot of mutual respect missing from the world, and I can totally understand bias and bad experiences on both sides, but some of those comments are ridiculous. Just like some of the comments on this site are stupid. I think its impossible for everyone to be happy.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-03-2011, 10:41 PM Reply   
From what I have seen this year inspecting about 1000 boats a week at Chatfield, 93% OF ALL BOATERS ARE SELF ABSORBED D BAGS. Thats all boaters, including Wakeboats. It does not matter what boat you use, 93% of us are whiney, and could never be happy, no matter what. But we can all unite in our hate for PWC's. Kidding, sort of.
But us as Wakeboarders do attract attention. Your stereo is BAD AZZ. I get it, I can see from all the chrome speakers hanging like grapes from your tower. But do you need to have it cranked all the time? Can you not see the boat full of kids twenty yards from you? Those parents may not want to explain to their kids what a "F*****G N***** " is. ANd some wakes are dangerous. I want to ride one someday.
With that said, Fishermen are nearly as bad, but not as loud. The boater who pulled a gun on another boater at Chatfield last season on the docks was a FISHERMEN.
And with that said, the PWC's are just terrifying. Some of those owners have never swam before.
The few "hi po" boaters we get are TOOLS. Their boats are awesome, but they are as bad as Wakeboarders and have NO room to talk about our Loud stereos or PA's when their motors run well above our 86dp limit. Granted we have few of those little tiny drag type boats here, but We are all lumped together even though I have no stereo, as loud wakeboaters, so they all get lumped in together too.

And with that said, we all love to burn fossil fuels, so Eff the sailboaters.

Get it?
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       07-03-2011, 10:52 PM Reply   
there is some freakin' funny stuff on that thread. i bet some of those guys are some giant tools. that being said, i love coming around a river corner and seeing a racing boat headed straight for me at 80 mph. those guys have zero room to talk.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-03-2011, 11:31 PM Reply   
and yes I said swam.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-04-2011, 6:52 AM Reply   
Funny read what gets me though is all the talk of damage to the environment that our wakes create in the form of shore erosion and I get that but what about the guys fishermen and go fasts not to mention the wave runners that are still running two stroke engines that discharge un burnt raw fuel and oil into our waterways to me this is a bigger issue than our wakes.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-04-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
Most of the guys that own those go-fast boats are Dude-brahs. Who are they to call anyone a douchebag?

I don't hate on the fishermen, though. If I roll up on a spot and I see a fisherman there first, I will give him his space. But, if they drop the trolling motor around my line that's on them. Fishermen have big outboards on their boats in order to cover more water in a shorter amount of time (this applies during tournaments).
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-04-2011, 8:56 AM Reply   
I went back through and read more of that thread. Those guys sound dangerous. 100mph is way more dangerous than a wake. What a bunch of wizard sleves.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-04-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
Can't believe that I just wasted 15 minutes of my life reading that.

Talking about cutting up someone's fat sacs is definitely showing that there are low rent individuals on both sides of the fence.

I think that they have a good point. Most wakeboat owners in my area are clueless powerturners who are not very knowledgeable. They think they are consderate, but are actually ignorant, they are nice people that just need education badly. 90% of the folks on this forum are not the problem. But we actually represent only a small fraction of the wakeboard boats out there.

At least one guy seems to get it:
Quote:
"I first read this thread right after reading the "What Do Normal Boaters Think of Us?" thread. Intresting. Are we, sitting in our hot boats bitching while the wakeboard boat goes by just like the kayakers sitting in their kayaks bitching as we go by?"
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-04-2011, 12:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltigeguy View Post
Can't believe that I just wasted 15 minutes of my life reading that.

Talking about cutting up someone's fat sacs is definitely showing that there are low rent individuals on both sides of the fence.

I think that they have a good point. Most wakeboat owners in my area are clueless powerturners who are not very knowledgeable. They think they are consderate, but are actually ignorant, they are nice people that just need education badly. 90% of the folks on this forum are not the problem. But we actually represent only a small fraction of the wakeboard boats out there.

At least one guy seems to get it:
Quote:
"I first read this thread right after reading the "What Do Normal Boaters Think of Us?" thread. Intresting. Are we, sitting in our hot boats bitching while the wakeboard boat goes by just like the kayakers sitting in their kayaks bitching as we go by?"
Completely true, but nothing bothers me more than a wakeboat out there powerturning and drivng like and ass. Seriously if you're going to buy a wake boat at least learn how to drive it. Our lake is small and full of idiots that powerturn, drive the wrong way, come too close to riders( last friday i had a boat try to jump their tube over my wake while I was riding behind the boat...), and there are are just as many wakeboats pulling this crap as any other type on our lake. The vast majority of boat drivers are uneducated, the problem is that trying to educate them will only start fights. I'm just thankful that we don't have PWCs on our lake, they are by far the worst of the bunch.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-05-2011, 8:32 AM Reply   
Wow, I feel really dirty after reading that. At least Cory (cadunkle) had the stones to step up and try to explain things. Sounds like there's a lot of stubborn, ignorant boaters on that other forum.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-05-2011, 8:56 AM Reply   
There are bad and inconsiderate drivers behind the wheel of every kind of boat. Just last night we a had big four winds almost hit the back of our boat as we launched so they could drop people off on the boat launch dock, when just 30 feet away was a nice courtesy dock with no traffic. They later in the night drove past us doing about 10mph throwing a huge wake, about 20 yards off our bow, causing us and the boat we were tied off with to scrample to keep from smacking towers.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-05-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
hahaha that is the funniest post ever! "morally imperative for every parent to put forth a plan and effort to prevent their children from growing up to be a wakeboader"
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-05-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
Those people are sad .Unless you can boat where nobody else ever boats which is unlikely people will have complaints.Those people are hating on wakeboarders in general.I'm sure there are inconsiderate wakeboarders out there but to lump us all together is hypocritical as i am sure there are boaters in their category that are equaly as inconsiderate.Every boat takes on the personality of it's driver.The boat will do what you want it to.It's a HUGE responsibility.Just like people use their cars carelessly.A lake has no roads to follow so EVERY boater needs to use extreme care when out there.Especially us because we have people in the water.Especially when some boats are going 100+ mph!!!!!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-05-2011, 8:20 PM Reply   
You forgot to add boats have NO BRAKES!,so imagine how long it takes to stop those go fast boats.There are idiot and inconsiderate drivers in every form of boating.I ride on a lake that is 60 miles wide,I have to wait for southern winds and ride near shore.I'm usually 100 yards to 300 yards from shore,where do you think most people pass,you got it,in between my boat and the shore.It drives me crazy,there's 60 miles of lake on the other side.Then there's the idiots that see you riding and come right up and drive directly behind your rider.Like the saying goes "common sense isn't very common".
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-05-2011, 8:38 PM Reply   
I don't feel like setting up an account on there douche forum to ask them this question, but do they consider any boat with a tower/pylon a Wakeboarding boat? Cuz that could make several I/Os out there one of us
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-05-2011, 10:54 PM Reply   
DC, only vdrive and d drives are wakeboarders? I thought wakeboarding made you a wakeboarder.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-06-2011, 12:05 AM Reply   
LOL! I bet on some Jet Ski forum some where they are posting about how F'ed up all of the wakeboard forums are! Or maybe on a towable tube website, they are also hating on wakeboarders!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-06-2011, 7:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1 View Post
DC, only vdrive and d drives are wakeboarders? I thought wakeboarding made you a wakeboarder.
Yes if your Wakeboarding, then you are a Wakeboarder. But I was curious if there generalization of the people they hate (people Wakeboarding or the type of boat itself) is what ticks them off. Sorry for the little joke at then end Chris, its a funny thread and I had to throw in a joke. No harm intended.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-06-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
I don't feel like setting up an account on there douche forum to ask them this question, but do they consider any boat with a tower/pylon a Wakeboarding boat? Cuz that could make several I/Os out there one of us
There are as many idiot drivers and nothing more then tubers behind full out wake boats as there are behind I/O's. I would guesstimate that less then 25% of people with wakeboard boats seriously wakeboard or surf.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-06-2011, 9:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
There are as many idiot drivers and nothing more then tubers behind full out wake boats as there are behind I/O's. I would guesstimate that less then 25% of people with wakeboard boats seriously wakeboard or surf.
I'd say that stands 100% true at my lake. Love it when you see an xstar, pulling tubes, zigzagging the edges at 6:45 am on glass, then super power turning to get back to a rider they lost............
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
I was teasing my local MC dealer a while ago. I told him to stop giving powerturning lessons when he delivers a new boat, he got a laugh out of it.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-06-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
I was teasing my local MC dealer a while ago. I told him to stop giving powerturning lessons when he delivers a new boat, he got a laugh out of it.
Honestly, it is every brand of boat. Dealers these days really should go through etiquette training with boat buyers. Drive in a straight line, look over your shoulders before turning, slow down to turn, don't tube at 9am, etc....
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-06-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
ignorance is bliss (RE that other thread)
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-06-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
I really don't mind tubing as long as they do with others in mind. Do it in the middle of the lake, it's more fun there, and you don't disturb people trying to get good water along the edges.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-06-2011, 1:20 PM Reply   
I'll tell you this much,I'm alot more wary of encountering their boats out there than I am of someone wakeboarding.Given a choice I'd much rather be around boats wakeboardi than boats flying at high speeds.SCARY
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-06-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
I'll tell you this much,I'm alot more wary of encountering their boats out there than I am of someone wakeboarding.Given a choice I'd much rather be around boats wakeboardi than boats flying at high speeds.SCARY
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-06-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
One more thing what we are doing is athletic and requires some talent.Most people would respect that at least.But nooooo not them to busy haring I suppose.

Sorry for the double post!
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-06-2011, 5:51 PM Reply   
Think its kinda good that some riders (Cadunkle especially) chimed in and hopefully changed some of their views for the better. Some of those guys were complete a-holes, especially that "Forkin' crazy" dude.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-06-2011, 6:24 PM Reply   
I love our way of life/sport and THAT my friends will always be the case regardless of those naive "people"!!!Maybe they should put wings on thier boats so they can fly away.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-07-2011, 7:30 AM Reply   
It all comes down to every individual wanting the lake to themselves. We are born with the "my playpen" mentality. That's why parents work so hard teaching toddlers to share.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-07-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
The jerk boat owner should not defined by the type of watercraft that he or she uses. There is simply a faction of people in this world who don't give a crap about other people, about learning how to properly operate their boat, or about trying to avoid perpetuating negative stereotypes.
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-07-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
haha, "roll bar speakers". I personally love the "roll bar" on my boat. Anyone else?
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-07-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
+1 for the roll bar!
Old     (WssLife)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-10-2011, 7:32 PM Reply   
I was floating yesterday, sittin on the side of the Quartershot with my legs in the water, cold beer in my hand....with the river to myself......ahhhh......

Glad operating those "high-performance boats" at 100 mph with alcohol in your system is safer then wakeboarding at 20mph with a big wake
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-10-2011, 9:15 PM Reply   
Hey guys, this thread is funny, but it also scares the hell out of me. I absolutely love wakeboarding, and want the sport to be around for a long time for me, my friends, and my family to enjoy. The reality, however, is that ballast systems are being banned in various places throughout the country because of the types of complaints voiced by the hot boaters. We need to keep this in mind everytime we go out on the water. Monster wakes come with monster responsibility. If we don't police ourselves, sooner or later local governments, state governments, and housing associations will do it for us.
Old     (WssLife)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-10-2011, 9:29 PM Reply   
yea, I feel like banning ballast systems altogether is extreme but I defiantly do feel like maybe there should be a limit on how much weight you can add, because yes even though I think the hot boaters are just being selfish wanting everyone to not set any sort of wake the lake is there for everyone and should be able to be enjoyed by everyone there if our monster wakes really are causing damage and danger to the hot boaters maybe we shouldn't pump monster wakes but I also feel that if they ban ballast systems all together then we won't be enjoying our time as much
Old     (easttexasrider)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-11-2011, 8:53 AM Reply   
This is becoming a major issue on the lake where my parents live. Some of the homeowner`s there are trying to petition for the wake boats to be banned. Although i think it will not happen, I certainly understand there frustration. I believe it is more surfers than wakeboarders, however some wakes from wakeboarders are huge. I have been annoyed myself sitting on the floating dock with my kids fishing and a boat goes by surfing and we have to leave the dock or get knocked over by the waves. The dock will start to rock so bad my dad has lost barrels out from underneath the dock. The home owners are concerned about there seawalls and possible erosion from the wakes. The river isn`t a real wide river so you may have these boats sometimes within 100` ft. of the docks and seawalls. There are areas on this river that have very few if not any house`s, this would be the best place to surf in my opinion. I dont think it is fair to outlaw or ban these boats, however I do fell like people need to be aware of these things and think outside the box and think of the effects on others. Loud music out there will be the next issue i bet. Nothing wrong with having the radio on and you and your rider being able to hear it, but for everyone else to hear is a different issue. Maybe a better choice of words in the music might help our fight also. Just some food for thought and my take on this.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-11-2011, 9:16 AM Reply   
I grew up boating on the Illinois river, and the wakes I saw from barges and cabin cruisers (especially Carvers) were much larger and more distructive than anything I have seen out of a wakeboat. I think this is just another example of people over-reacting.

Granted, the example above is a river and many people are seeing issues on smaller lakes. I surf behind a friends boat on a small lake, and we circle one end of the lake keeping the surf pocket on the inside. This seems to keep lake disturbance to a minimum.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-11-2011, 11:34 AM Reply   
sad day last week, some guy crashed is baja at 80 plus at yauch resevour in PA, he died but his kids lived. broke the boat in 3 pieces. I cant see how they can justify 80 in the water, i.e 160 on land with limited control and bitch about wakeboarding.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-11-2011, 11:41 AM Reply   
oh a tube related story. Last year a group of senior citizens on a very large pontoon boat forgot there grand children where in the tube behind it for 10 miles, 1 child fell off and luck enough a boat picked up the child and stopped the pontoon. It seems there is alway an issue no matter what group or class of boaters are out on the water. We have a real troblem with senior citizens on our lake, mostly because they cant see well and have hard time controlling there boat in rough water, but i have never complained or taken action to ban them.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-11-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3KUEkxkbKc
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-12-2011, 9:23 AM Reply   
The issue of banning ballast is interesting on public waterways... wakeboard boats are not the only ones pumping water in their boats. Some of the go fast boats use ballast systems to keep the boat moving through the rough water rather than bouncing. Cruisers have water systems sinks, toilets etc. Fisherman have live wells. Larger ships will sue ballast systems to balance cargo loads. Certainly there are ways of wording this to only effect wakeboard boats ballast systems. Which only seems practical on smaller waterways. A 30' cruiser going slow is going to throw one hell of a wake and the only way to minimze that is slow or wakeless zones.