Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (newburywilliams)      Join Date: Oct 2013       06-29-2015, 8:11 AM Reply   
Hey guys whats up! Here is a little go pro edit I made of my son riding his balance bike. Hopefully get him boarding this summer.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-29-2015, 8:26 AM Reply   
Wow that impressive for a 2 year old. Congrats
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2015, 9:10 AM Reply   
That`s awesome. I got my son one of these after a friend got one for his son. Having the bigger wheels sure made a difference as they glide so much better. http://earlyrider.com/products/classic-12-14 and with it being wood it gets everyone rubber necking and asking if you made it.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-29-2015, 9:33 AM Reply   
Very cool!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-30-2015, 6:19 AM Reply   
Love it

We are due with our first this Sept. and it's a little boy. I can't wait until he's is old enough to do things like this with him.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-30-2015, 6:32 AM Reply   
I gotta ask, if he's that good coasting on it, why not buy him something with pedals?

He's way ahead of my 3yr old daughter on the balance bike.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-30-2015, 9:13 AM Reply   
Steven, the good thing with balance bikes is that's all they have to focus on.....balance. I'm about to transition my son to a pedal bike but for kids the pedals can be a challenge. At least going forward now he'll only have to worry about the pedals and not trying to learn to balance and use pedals. Ultimately having the balance bike gets them out there on two wheels a lot sooner. Finding a small pedal bike can be tough as well as with the really little ones the crank is very small and the child will out grow the bike pretty quick.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-30-2015, 1:19 PM Reply   
So i'm assuming you should be pushing them on the bike and then slowly they'll get the balance down?

I've just been letting her take it out and she basically just walks straddling the bike. I'll have to work on it a little with her.

In my defense, i thought about that, but i also have twin 1-yr olds and they usually have me pretty occupied outside not allowing alot of 1-1 time.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-30-2015, 1:56 PM Reply   
I love the balance bikes. We've had both our boys on the Strider brand ones (can find them used often) since they were one. I personally like the Striders as the seats can go super low, and the handlebars can run much lower than some of the others. They start out just walking straddling it, then eventually sit on the seat and walk it, and eventually start running and gliding. Both of our boys (once tall enough) went from walking to coasting within a couple weeks.

I can't let the 2-year old out the door these days without him bee-lining for the bike - makes getting in the car a head-ache, and seems like I end up with two balance bikes strapped to the back of my bike trailer often.

The major selling point for me was we got my 4-yr old a pedal bike a couple months ago, and I literally held onto his seat for 3 strides and he was biking on his own (no training wheels). I left the pedal bike seat low enough to put his feet down, and the next day he figured out starts and stops on his own, and has been a machine since, and could then run his seat up into a more normal height for pedaling. He still likes the balance bike though, especially at the skate park and on dirt trails.

The best part about the balance bikes, imo, is how light the good ones are, as the kids can lift and throw them around pretty easily. For whatever reason, pedal bikes (even 10-inch ones) are insanely heavy for a little kid in comparison to the balance bikes, so they end up with a lot more control over the balance bike between the lighter bike and low center of gravity. I'll have to see if I can dig up some skate park or trail footage.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-27-2015, 10:40 AM Reply   
I'll give credit to this post for getting us on a stryder bike. My just turned 3 year old daughter was riding a bike with training wheels this spring, after this thread i got her on a balance bike... it took her about a month to start using it, then she slowly started using it more/more. soon she was coasting all over the place. Two weeks ago on a Saturday afternoon she wasn't having anything to do with her nap... so we went outside and i took the trainers off her bike, first attempt she went 20 ft or so... Now she is all over the place now.

Her sister who turned two in September inherited her old Balance bike. She started on Sunday and last night she started lifting up her legs and coasting 5-10 ft. I'm hoping to get these two out more/more together in the next few months.

Last edited by sppeders; 10-27-2015 at 10:42 AM. Reason: edit
Old     (dustinjean)      Join Date: Nov 2013       10-27-2015, 1:46 PM Reply   
my daughter is only 7 months but as soon as she can touch on a balance bike I will most likely be buying her a dk nano or stryder, as ive rode bmx on and off for 19 years hopefully she will love 2 wheels as they are currently building a skatepark less than a mile from our home and I would love to see her pumping around the skatepark in a few years
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-27-2015, 3:18 PM Reply   
That's awesome to hear Steven. My son is now full blown on a pedal bike since this thread was created. I will still give a huge credit to how much a stryder bike helps the transition for the kids. They all start out basically walking around with the bike between their legs. As time goes on they start pushing and gliding that much more until they full on got it. My son will still dump his pedal bike and go for his stryder as well once in awhile.

I'm the same as you Dustin. My youngest is now 8 months. Come the 1.5 yr mark I will pull out our littlest stryder and start him on it as well.

I still highly recommend these ones: http://earlyrider.com/products/classic-12-14 The big wheels just help with the gliding and make it a lot easier for the kids and everyone else thinks you made it.lol. My buddy bought the above bike before me.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       10-28-2015, 12:18 PM Reply   
Awesome - The only downside I've found with the balance bikes is my kids can burn through the toes of shoes in real short order if they toe drag to stop on concrete...... I think I finally got the younger one out of that habit now and using the soles, so at least now our kids don't look homeless wandering around with holes in their shoes....

My wife even partially ran over one of the striders - twisted the frame mildly, but surprisingly still rolls pretty true and the kiddo doesn't notice.

Next step for the 4-yr old is mastering the coaster brake skid - I miss coaster brakes...
Old     (deelan)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-29-2015, 2:20 PM Reply   
Sweet video! Reminds me of my son who is now 11 and not scared of *****. He now jumps and even tail whips his ramp to ramp set up!
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-30-2015, 7:35 AM Reply   
We have a pretty good slope on our 300' driveway that slopes down towards the house.... what i ended up doing to remedy the shoe/toe issue is they can only wear a certain pair of shoes on their big-wheels/balance bikes/scooters... and i keep adding epoxy to the tip of them... which turns into a hard plastic.