Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-23-2015, 5:08 PM Reply   
I know this isn't a boat, but this is where all you audio experts hang out. My son just picked up a 3-cylinder Daihatsu mini-truck and he wants to add a decent system to it with a sub. It's a 12-volt system, but I was thinking that anything that's pulling that kind of power will not work on something this small. That being said, people do it with golf carts and side-by-sides, so why not?

He's got space behind the seats for an amp/sub. It's got a regular dash that he can put a head unit in, but he probably only needs something that will take an auxiliary input. Any suggestions??

Name:  Blake.jpg
Views: 2016
Size:  90.9 KB
Old     (Snowleopard)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-23-2015, 6:41 PM Reply   
Dave, awesome ride! Congrats to your boy. Are there front speaker locations in that thing yet? 4" in the dash I'm guessing?

I would do a nice Alpine head unit with built in bluetooth and USB/ aux input. It also allows bluetooth streaming, you can get a nice one for $250. I'm thinking part number is 149BT or something similar. You can also use a small alpine 4 ch amplifier, they are getting really small so makes placement easy. Put a pair of speakers in the door. Use 1/2 the amplifier on door speakers and other 1/2 on the subwoofer. I would then do a JL Audio w3 in a sealed box behind the seat, or use one of there all in 1 ported 8" boxs.

Of course there is a lot more to do is there a budget you are working with? Will you be doing the install together?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-23-2015, 9:39 PM Reply   
That is quite the babe magnet. I'm sure there's a story to go with that truck. Let's hear it.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       01-24-2015, 6:55 AM Reply   
Most every HU has an Aux In.

JL Audio is soon delivering a Powered MicroSub with a built in Class D amplifier. This makes for an easy installation and a cost-effective package.

Normally in a cab that size you can power the coaxial speakers with the HU power. But I suspect that cab is noisy especially as you pick up speed, so you might need an external amplifier to drive the coaxials. Take a ride and see how the noise floor is.
If you need more power, the JL Audio XD500/3 is a great amplifier to drive a subwoofer and a pair of satellites. Package that with a bass-reflex JL sub enclosure.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-24-2015, 8:15 AM Reply   
Stealth 6. Find a spot up on the roof above the windshield. Built in amp, built in Bluetooth, built in speakers, built in aux for reg ipod and output to a sub. He wont need a radio.

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/stealth6.html

These are being mounted on just about anything. UTV, ATV, Golf Carts, Boats, Sno Cats, Jeeps and so on. The Stealth are very efficient. Designed to run on an ATV battery so a small battery like this will be perfect.

We have a Stealth 6.5 inch high powered sub coming soon that will be a great sub add on as well.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Attached Images

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-24-2015, 12:08 PM Reply   
I'll check all these out. I like that Wet Sounds all-in-one option, especially since he can add a sub later on!

Not much story behind the truck. It's actually from the San Diego Wild Animal Park. My son does jobs around the neighborhood, so he bought a golf cart to get himself around. However, it recently broke down on him, so he found this on Craigslist and picked it up for $1,300. I was a little skeptical going in, but he found a pretty nice ride. The guy wanted $1,700 and I made him do all the negotiating, so I really wasn't involved other than trailering it home. I'm pretty proud that the Craigslist/cheapness gene has been handed down.

It's a manual four speed, but tops out at 25 mph because it's geared so low. Seriously, first gear takes you from zero to about 2 mph before you have to shift. I told him to ignore first gear. I'm betting a little gearing change would really make it fast. The engine is pretty stout. Plans for it include a lift, new tires and rims, flat black paint job, removal of the tool boxes and rack in favor or some sort of rear seating arrangement in the bed and a new shade over the top. Should be a fun project if he can keep paying for it. He still has 2.5 years before he gets a driver's license, so it will be good practice for that first car.
Old     (Snowleopard)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-24-2015, 9:11 PM Reply   
I would not use the wetsound product, no offense to Tim or wetsound love their tower speaker but it will never compare to a real car stereo.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-25-2015, 8:56 AM Reply   
Who's ready,

Have you ever Heard a Stealth Sound Bar. It doesn't look like you have any experience with them at all to make a comment like that. There are some You Tube videos showing how loud and clear they are. The sound amazing and I have yet to hear anything that can compete in terms of output, sound quality, ease of installation, small size, and flexibility. Go to one of our dealers and get a demo, please.

Re read what David has. The little truck is more like a UTV or Golf Cart. It is small and has a limited space and limited charging system. So the Stealth is exactly what he needs and a perfect system.

A S6 with a small sub is going to rock that little truck. And it will be easy on his batteries and easy to install as the sound bar has built in amp and a sub with built in amp. Simple install. Sure he could spend thousands and do a custom install of separate components and fabrication and get more volume. But would need to add separate batteries and charging set up. And looking at what his son bought it for. Don't really think that was what he is looking for.

So take a listen to a sound bar if you can, I think it will change your mind on what real is.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-25-2015, 9:03 AM Reply   
I love Tim. Cool as a cucumber!! I do think I'm going to go for the Stealth. It's really got everything in one package, which makes it really simple. Plus, I'm a little worried about what this charging system can handle, so if it goes well with the Stealth, it's good to know I can add on a sub. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it works.

Last edited by wakeworld; 01-25-2015 at 9:37 AM.
Old     (nukemustang)      Join Date: Nov 2014       01-25-2015, 9:24 AM Reply   
We had one of those trucks at a place I was stationed before. If you got it going pretty good in reverse and shifted it to 1st and floored it, you could get it to pop a wheelie. Prolly wasn't something the commanding officer would want to see, but fun and much easier to get around the site none the less.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       01-25-2015, 3:04 PM Reply   
I can't imagine a 3-cylinder utility vehicle having much of a charging system so getting sound in the most efficient manner would be top priority. The all-in-one soundbar makes sense.
Old     (NoNceNse)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-30-2015, 3:10 PM Reply   
Honestly I would go even cheaper than the soundbar and just get one of those portable speakers. I have the Braven 855s and it will do more than enough in that little truck. I'm in the Army and none of our tactical vehicles have any audio in them. I just throw my Portable speaker in and its more than loud enough. It also has battery built into it and it can run my SiriusXM satellite radio for hours.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-30-2015, 8:35 PM Reply   
I once threw a Stealth10 out on the beach at our lake and played it off of a Stinger SPP1000 battery. It played for 12 hours non-stop, then we packed up for the day. That night I checked voltage on the battery and it was 11.8V. Very little current draw with both of the sound bars. You can have it playing before UPS gets out of the driveway!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-30-2015, 8:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNceNse View Post
Honestly I would go even cheaper than the soundbar and just get one of those portable speakers. I have the Braven 855s and it will do more than enough in that little truck. I'm in the Army and none of our tactical vehicles have any audio in them. I just throw my Portable speaker in and its more than loud enough. It also has battery built into it and it can run my SiriusXM satellite radio for hours.
You're ears and expectations may be different than the OP's. This is for his son, and he may want something that can be heard from a distance outside while the truck is parked.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-31-2015, 2:48 AM Reply   
Friend of mine had a full size truck years ago and we tinkered with many options. In my opinion all you need is:
Decent head unit (bluetooth enabled with aux input)
Good amp
Great 6x9 mounted in each rear corner
You won't even need a sub
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-01-2015, 1:25 PM Reply   
I don't think these photos hold up to some of the other (or any) Wet Sounds installations I've seen, but here is the Stealth 6 in action in the Daihatsu. Install was a breeze. I just had to fabricate a little shelf for it and we dropped it right on the dash. It's really cool how many options for mounting it comes with. You can hang it from the sides, top or bottom. Very well designed. Wiring length was actually perfect for this vehicle as I ran both wires directly off the battery. It worked out that the batch of wires went right down the side of the dash and were pretty well hidden for the most part. Best of all, it sounds great and is more than loud enough. I think we need to work on getting some carpet in that cab because it's sort of like playing music in a tin can. I can't thank Tim at Wet Sounds enough for the suggestion. My son is stoked on the new setup!

Name:  Stealth1.jpg
Views: 3056
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  Stealth2.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  Stealth3.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  66.9 KB