Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (DCross)      Join Date: Jul 2016       08-01-2017, 1:17 PM Reply   
This grassroots contest just wrapped up over the weekend (JD Webb took home men's pro 1st place with $7,500)... as if this boat only access contest isn't already badass enough as it is, one of the main sponsors closed out the award ceremony Saturday night letting everyone know that the 1st place prize for the event in 2018 would now be $50k. Contest ended two days ago and I'm already pumped for next year.
https://www.wakefesttn.com
Attached Images

Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       08-01-2017, 1:58 PM Reply   
Bummed I had to miss this year but looking forward to next year!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-01-2017, 2:02 PM Reply   
Awesome!
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       08-01-2017, 3:03 PM Reply   
Who's the sponsor?
Old     (DCross)      Join Date: Jul 2016       08-01-2017, 3:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog78 View Post
Who's the sponsor?
Pates Ford Marina (they also own Sligo Marina, Tootsies Orchard Lounge, and etc)... they're the sponsor dropping the $50k for first place.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       08-01-2017, 4:40 PM Reply   
$50K for 1st place or total cash prizes equaling $50K? Seems like a HUGE step from $7500 to $50K!

It's a great event and I've been for many years now... I took a different approach this season and didn't party at Pates Ford on Friday or Saturday night. Kinda regret it, but it's nice to chill and hangout with friends after a long day of partying.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-01-2017, 6:56 PM Reply   
That's unbelievable but amazing! So this event is wakeboarding only?
Old     (DCross)      Join Date: Jul 2016       08-02-2017, 7:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by corerider View Post
$50K for 1st place or total cash prizes equaling $50K? Seems like a HUGE step from $7500 to $50K!

It's a great event and I've been for many years now... I took a different approach this season and didn't party at Pates Ford on Friday or Saturday night. Kinda regret it, but it's nice to chill and hangout with friends after a long day of partying.
Just spoke with TNT Watersports to be sure I'm not BS'ing everybody... The cash prizes have totaled $25k every year so far, the 2018 cash prizes will now total $75k. They said they're not sure if the extra $50k will go to the pro men's winner, or exactly how it will be split up yet, so it's TBD. Regardless, it's $75k worth of cash which is a lottttt.

Agree about the partying... our 9 year old rode in groms this year so we had to cut back a bit on how wild everything got.

Stephen P - yeah, it's wakeboarding only.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-02-2017, 7:47 AM Reply   
Wow that's huge. It's nice to see a sponsor step up like that and invest in the sport. Well done.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       08-02-2017, 11:21 AM Reply   
Here comes Steven wanting to wakesurf and totally ruin the even. Smh
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-02-2017, 1:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog78 View Post
Here comes Steven wanting to wakesurf and totally ruin the even. Smh
HA very funny.
Old     (DCross)      Join Date: Jul 2016       08-04-2017, 6:22 AM Reply   
Here's a video I took from the first morning when everybody was just starting to come out...
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       08-04-2017, 10:15 AM Reply   
There were so many drones this year... I remember thinking to myself we needed air traffic control! I think I counted 4 at one time all following pro riders.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-13-2018, 4:49 AM Reply   
We are going to Wakefest TN this year and are trying to get schedule info but it seems their website domain is down. Their FB page does not give any schedule either. Does anyone know the rider schedule? Particularly the Grom division? Our two kids are planning to ride and I am trying to figure out what day they ride.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       06-13-2018, 10:04 AM Reply   
IIRC Groms ride on Saturday before Pro, then all other classes are on Sunday.

I really want to go this year, but have no place to stay... thinking about tent camping up the hill from Pates Ford. Then I have to decide whether to bring the boat or hop on someone else’s. I really wish there were more places to stay in the area!
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-13-2018, 10:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by corerider View Post
IIRC Groms ride on Saturday before Pro, then all other classes are on Sunday.

I really want to go this year, but have no place to stay... thinking about tent camping up the hill from Pates Ford. Then I have to decide whether to bring the boat or hop on someone else’s. I really wish there were more places to stay in the area!

Thanks for the info. We found a decent deal on a house on VRBO for the weekend.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-18-2018, 7:38 AM Reply   
I looked at google maps and it seems like most of the waterfront is undeveloped but there are roads everywhere.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-18-2018, 7:46 AM Reply   
There were quite a few options in google maps, most about a 15 minute boat ride from Pate’s Ford Marina. The place we got seems to have a Great Lake view with a free public neighborhood ramp one street over.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-18-2018, 8:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarcreek216V View Post
There were quite a few options in google maps, most about a 15 minute boat ride from Pate’s Ford Marina. The place we got seems to have a Great Lake view with a free public neighborhood ramp one street over.

Sorry, quite a few options on VRBO.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       06-18-2018, 10:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
I looked at google maps and it seems like most of the waterfront is undeveloped but there are roads everywhere.

That’s because most of the waterfront near the event site is steep canyon walls... there isn’t really a waterfront! It’s just a narrow stretch of water between canyon walls about 200-300’ high.

I’ve searched VRBO, AirBNB, and even looked at campsites for tents. Basically everything is already spoken for or so ridiculously priced it’s not worth going. I have found a potential spot to setup a tent near Sligo Marina if I decide to go. I have another wake event I’m helping run the weekend before Wakefest in Alabama so I don’t know if I’ll be recouped in time for Wakefest!
Old     (bandit628)      Join Date: Feb 2016       06-18-2018, 1:17 PM Reply   
Does anyone have more information on the 2018 event? Or how to get a hold of the organizer? I'm interested in maybe riding the intermediate division.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-19-2018, 8:31 PM Reply   
It’s happening this weekend. Really the only info is on Facebook. It’s not too late to register, that starts tomorrow. Check out wakefestn.com or do a search on Facebook.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       07-20-2018, 3:54 AM Reply   
I'm heading up later this morning... Let's hope the weather holds out for us and the event goes off without any issues... This year's event should prove to be the biggest yet!!! I'll be in the all black 2003 SANTE.