Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-02-2017, 6:48 AM Reply   
any of use guys ride the slingshot butter bar or Cobras? They got some good deals on them but I can't find any reviews or anything doing the Google.
Old     (kmeier)      Join Date: Apr 2017       04-25-2017, 3:15 PM Reply   
I got one about a month ago, it took a little getting used to coming from an inland surfer blue lake but it is now my favorite board. I am not doing any tricks at this point, but I can ride for awhile sans rope.
I am hoping by end of summer to be able to do a 360. It is stable, maneuverable, comfortable on my feet, and if I could get my chicken kids to try something other than tubing I suspect it would be easy for them to get up on.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-26-2017, 8:44 AM Reply   
Never ride them, but I do have them come in for repairs. Not the best builds, but not the worst. Too much paint and not fiberglass and resin, so it just cracks off when hit. Fairly standard chinese build of this type, ie. paint over fiberglass. From what I've been told from people bringing them in for repair or taking them out for demos, they tend to be slow. However, I find that people relate loose to fast, or responsive to fast, even though they are not the same thing. I am sure there are people that love the cobra cat or bb. The bb is more or less a skimmy style board, but far from a performance skim board, both have edge style hydrohull bottoms contours which look fun or I can appreciate as a shaper. A deal is a deal. Either way they probably make good boat boards.

Nick
Old     (Dandy21)      Join Date: May 2016       04-26-2017, 10:44 AM Reply   
I have never ridden the SlingShot boards you have inquired about, but like alot of people, I have an opinion . Let me share it with you...
In 2008, I rode a SlingShot wakeboard for the 1st time, LOVED IT and ordered one that same day. I loved the flex and the loose feel of it, it reminded me more of riding my snowboard than a wakeboard. Time passed, was introduced to wakesurfing and purchased our first surfable (if that's a word) in 2013 and needed boards. Not knowing anything and liking what SlingShot does, by taking a slightly different approach to things and they treated me well, I ordered up a couple of boards. I picked up their Space Pickle (Surf)
http://www.boards.lv/en/ishop/SLINGS...Pickle-50-2014
and their Reform (skim)
http://www.boardco.com/slingshot-ref...surf-board-4-7

I figure you can use the links to compare the boards to what you are looking at.

Well, the Space Pickle as Nick (Chaos) mentioned is Slow, Very Slow. Now granted, I am no pro, but I have struggled with 3 boats ('13 Z1, '14 G23 and '07 22Ve - all good surf boats) to keep with the boat. When the board does get moving, it vibrates and hums. It's really odd. I have the 5' board and I am 5'11" (200ish).

The Reform I really enjoy riding. I have no issue keeping up with the boat, can recover from quite a ways back on the wave, it is pretty quick and dare I say agile. It is not longer my go to board (that is a Chaos Sixer currently), but I seem to pull out the old Reform on every trip. I also like it since it can go in the wakeboard racks and not worry about damage. Maybe that is why it comes out everytime, there is always room in the boat for it.

I realize that this doesn't truly answer your questions about the specific boards, but thought it may give you some feedback to compare to. For me, if I am looking for a non skim board, I will not purchase a mass produced board any longer. Today, I would only by from Nick @ Chaos or Jeff @ SoulCraft (there are probably some other good ones out there that I don't know about). Both shapers can work with you and get you something that will fit you, your needs and wants better.
Old     (kapieyow)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-29-2017, 6:33 AM Reply   
I have surfed a recent cobra cat, but I am pretty new to wakesurf. It is my favorite compared to the other boards I have ridden (older hyperlite broadcat, LF fish, hyperlite landlock). I prefer to pull the middle fin and it is more loose to my liking but controllable for my novice skill set. I don't know if it is real or not, but it feels like it rolls over on the bottom the board between edges which I like. Broadcast does not do this.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-29-2017, 12:19 PM Reply   
Thanks all. I ended up with the cobra cat. Would be out this weekend riding it but we just got a foot snow. I know I'll yank the middle fin but my wife's weak and will prefer the stability of the middle fin.
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-09-2017, 11:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
Thanks all. I ended up with the cobra cat. Would be out this weekend riding it but we just got a foot snow. I know I'll yank the middle fin but my wife's weak and will prefer the stability of the middle fin.
Did you get a chance to ride that Cobra Cat? I'm curious to see what you thought of it?
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-10-2017, 3:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideaNeversummer View Post
Did you get a chance to ride that Cobra Cat? I'm curious to see what you thought of it?
No my daughter had her lacrosse tourney Saturday then cried about her legs hurting the next day, the wife is out to ruin my life and hates my girlfriend so I was all set to go Sunday but they weren't . Hoping to get out this Saturday and I'll report back. If you're on fence cause it's on sale at id just get it, feels like a good board just holding it.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       05-10-2017, 7:04 AM Reply   
I found a deal on a '16 Cobra Cat & decided to take the plunge into surfing as well. I got it in the water last night and was really pleased with my first impressions.

I had all three fins in so it was locked in, but the board is so forgiving and seems great for beginner/boat board for everyone. I went with the 4'8 & I was able to recover on lots of nose dives & "aggressive" breaks/turns that I have not been able to do on other boards. Obviously I don't know about durability yet, but for half the price of newer boards I'm stoked to have it on my boat.
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-11-2017, 5:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
No my daughter had her lacrosse tourney Saturday then cried about her legs hurting the next day, the wife is out to ruin my life and hates my girlfriend so I was all set to go Sunday but they weren't . Hoping to get out this Saturday and I'll report back. If you're on fence cause it's on sale at id just get it, feels like a good board just holding it.
Right on, as a shaper I'm always interested in hearing people's feedback on different boards.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-14-2017, 5:02 AM Reply   
Board is good. My wife and daughter love it. I find 3 fins too stable but it is still pretty quick not much effort to stay in wave. 2 fins still stable but really easy to break free, not squirly but every now and then some chop would hit me just right and the back end would almost get away from me. I need surgery on my shoulder, again, and I'm trying to put it off till next year but with how bad it's hurting and partially dislocating it'll probably be fall. So I'm not up for trying tricks or popping off the lip cause I need time to cradle my arm when I crash and you know how crashing goes when it happens quick so I'm just cruising behind boat this summer, no learning shove it's this summer. We have the 5' cobra, I prefer smaller boards for more aggressive riding and tricks so I'm gonna order one of the smaller ones for my daughter and me to play on. For reference daughter is 4'10" 110 and she can ride the board we'll but she'll progress better on a smaller board. Overall I love it but I prefer my inland surfer for aggressive riding. Wife and daughter well riding a liquid force fish and byerly volt prior, both hated my inland board but now neither will ride the byerly or LF and say they feel like riding a 2x4 and I agree they take a lot more effort to ride in comparison.