Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-15-2016, 11:22 AM Reply   
http://www.malibuboats.com/mxz/
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-15-2016, 12:59 PM Reply   
Serious upgrade! Well done Malibu.
Old     (RideClaytorVT)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-15-2016, 1:53 PM Reply   
They look amazing! With up to almost 4300 lbs of ballast, the wake must be insane. Also recently watched the malibu rider experience east re-cap video which featured a 2017 Malibu 24 MXZ. Wake looked HUGE.

Currently to date the SA 550 maxed out has been the biggest wake I have ridden and I've ridden the new G23 and Xstar, but the wake (2017 24 MXZ) in the video below just looks so much bigger

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-15-2016, 8:33 PM Reply   
Interior seats look like they have a Nautique style in the cushioning
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2016, 6:53 AM Reply   
What does Nautique style look like?
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-16-2016, 8:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
What does Nautique style look like?
like awesomeness.

This is a pretty nice looking boat... 4800lbs of ballast on the 24. yikes.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-16-2016, 12:47 PM Reply   
That's a cool looking boat. The interior looks great. Slightly off subject, but I seriously wonder what the temps of the Vinyl would be on a hot summer day with that dark grey they are showing as the display Modle.

It would be cool to have a temp gun and do a side by side test of the different interior color's Vera temp's would be. Ok back to talking about how cool this boat is!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2016, 1:34 PM Reply   
The new materials don't hold heat like the standard vinyl. It's a mesh-like feeling material that stays less hot.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-17-2016, 8:30 AM Reply   
New material is much better than 10 years ago.. but I still went with almost all white in my current boat to avoid the hot stuff. The gray accents in my old malibu went nuclear on a summer day.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-17-2016, 8:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
Interior seats look like they have a Nautique style in the cushioning
Pretty much everything Malibu has been doing these days is taking things from other company's.

The M235 is a cross between the G and the X23....

The MXZ is a sweet boat, but until Malibu makes a boat that doesn't sit so low in the front they will be behind the curve IMO. The MXZ is just so low in the front,
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-17-2016, 8:54 AM Reply   
I truly don't understand how company's go away from Analog gauges. Electronics and water aren't a good mix. One thing that made we stick with MC vs CC was the gauges. I was on my friends G the other day when his screen went out and we were S**t out of luck. I still have gauges and a back up to run my engine if the screen goes out.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-17-2016, 9:29 AM Reply   
The new 22 MXZ (Pearl White Metallic / Black) is pretty awesome. I got to log about 6 hours on ours before it went to its new home and was thoroughly impressed with the wakeboard wake / surf wave...
2017 Malibu Boats Wakesetter 22 MXZ by Mason Obray, on Flickr
2017 Malibu Boats Wakesetter 22 MXZ by Mason Obray, on Flickr
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-17-2016, 10:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
Pretty much everything Malibu has been doing these days is taking things from other company's.

The MXZ is a sweet boat, but until Malibu makes a boat that doesn't sit so low in the front they will be behind the curve IMO. The MXZ is just so low in the front,
They all take ideas from each other. Every time one creates something new, the rest jump in. That's the way it works.

I've owned 3 MXZs and never found the bow to be too low. The bow deflects rollers quite well. And since the boat produces best with little bow weight, it's never an issue.
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       08-17-2016, 10:43 AM Reply   
I'm curious about something....

I've seen multiple posts from dealers demoing these boats under 10 hours...including surfing....

But if you read the engine manuals don't all of them state to not load the boat up with ballast until at least 10 (sometimes 20) hrs? Wouldn't doing that void the engine warranty?
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       08-17-2016, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnMac42 View Post
I'm curious about something....

I've seen multiple posts from dealers demoing these boats under 10 hours...including surfing....

But if you read the engine manuals don't all of them state to not load the boat up with ballast until at least 10 (sometimes 20) hrs? Wouldn't doing that void the engine warranty?
I've always wondered the same thing. We demo'd our SE with .6 hours on the clock. Loaded it up for wake and surf, but only ran the wake/surf for maybe a minute a piece to get a good look at it. Then ran it to roughly 10 hours before we started using it loaded down
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-17-2016, 12:27 PM Reply   
No dealer follows break-in procedure. Hours = depreciation.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-17-2016, 5:10 PM Reply   
Awesome looking boat! Especially the orange one on Malibu's site.

The white and black one above looks incredibly boring, might as well get a $10K bayliner

I would consider a Malibu if they only put wake plates on them as I go to large lakes with a lot of chop
Old     (malibu23lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-19-2016, 6:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post

Obviously, you don't know what you're talking about. Malibu was first with hard wired steering wheel controls, first with power windblock door, first with flip down entry steps, first with yeti cooler, first to offer the wake/stereo control dial (CC copied), first with 12" touch screen (CC copied), first with flip down bimini, first with DSP amps and locking connectors at amps, black box and speakers, first with phone holder (CC and Supra copied), first with surf device (now everyone has something), and I could go on...optional throttle profiles, docking mode, surf band (Malibu owns the patent on this), Malibu always leads the way in metal flake and new gel colors.

Yes, there are some features that are taken from other manufactures but this is part of product evolution. Every company does it, even in automotive. But I'll take it the other way for you...I don't understand why CC won't offer clamping board racks. Why anyone (a "premium" boat buyer like a CC owner) would want bungie racks is beyond me.

Have you measured the height out of the water compared to the G and X23? I would be curious what you found to make that statement. The G should be compared the the M235 as far as size and height out of water.
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       08-19-2016, 6:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
No dealer follows break-in procedure. Hours = depreciation.
Then what happens when you have an engine issue, the engine manufacture pulls data from the ECU/Touchpad computer and it shows you pumped ballast prior to the 10 hr break in?
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-19-2016, 6:59 AM Reply   
To end the hi-jacking of the thread: Not following the 'break-in' procedure won't void your warranty. The break in period is a suggestion. If it was mandatory, they would come pre-broken in. Those engines are tested at the factory, then tested in the boat, and when the dealer preps the boat for delivery they probably put another 0.5-2 hours driving it around making sure everything works and is perfect.

Last edited by hco; 08-19-2016 at 7:00 AM. Reason: word choice
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-19-2016, 7:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnMac42 View Post
Then what happens when you have an engine issue, the engine manufacture pulls data from the ECU/Touchpad computer and it shows you pumped ballast prior to the 10 hr break in?
LOL the computer on the boat is NOT that sophisticated.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-19-2016, 10:48 AM Reply   
Is this a new hull or is it a reconfigured Wakesetter?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-19-2016, 11:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
LOL the computer on the boat is NOT that sophisticated.
You'd be surprised what a little touchscreen can do.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-19-2016, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
You'd be surprised what a little touchscreen can do.
It's more than likely an issue of data storage. I work in IT, so trust me, I know that it COULD be logged. Then again, you're talking about going back ,potentially, up to 4 years 11 months and 30 days (since the warranty is 5 years) to prove that a person didn't follow break-in procedure. That's A LOT of logging. And what kind of detail is logged? How long were the ballast pumps on for? Is there a specific log that indicates the water level in the tank?

Then go ahead and think about Axis. You used manual toggle switches to fill 3k lbs of ballast. That is certainly NOT logged.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-19-2016, 7:30 PM Reply   
Yes break in period is a joke

Also love the boat it looks awesome. However the lines on the interior are all over the place. Doesn't really flow well with the rest of the interior.

I'm sure it performs very well however there are other boats that perform just well that are priced much better.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-19-2016, 9:58 PM Reply   
Do the factories follow break in procedure when they water test a boat?
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-20-2016, 5:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideClaytorVT View Post
With up to almost 4300 lbs of ballast, the wake must be insane.
Malibu typically includes the effect of the wedge in ballast specs.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-21-2016, 4:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
Do the factories follow break in procedure when they water test a boat?

No they do not.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-22-2016, 5:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu23lsv View Post
Obviously, you don't know what you're talking about. Malibu was first with hard wired steering wheel controls, first with power windblock door, first with flip down entry steps, first with yeti cooler, first to offer the wake/stereo control dial (CC copied), first with 12" touch screen (CC copied), first with flip down bimini, first with DSP amps and locking connectors at amps, black box and speakers, first with phone holder (CC and Supra copied), first with surf device (now everyone has something), and I could go on...optional throttle profiles, docking mode, surf band (Malibu owns the patent on this), Malibu always leads the way in metal flake and new gel colors.
You sir, are the one that doesn't know what they are talking about. MC was the first with a Surf System.

Basically what your saying is that every CC made is a direct copy of Malibu. I have owned three Malibu's in my day but CC is step above them.
Old     (malibu23lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-24-2016, 7:11 AM Reply   
This is funny. The original MC tabs didn't work so I don't count it as a true surf system. Gen2 isn't much better still and it certainly isn't as easy to operate as the Malibu ISP.

Not EVERYTHING CC brings is a copy but look at 2017 improvements, over half were copied.

1. new metal flake colors are EXACT copies of Malibu. and they even named the brown flake "bronze" the same as Malibu.

2. surf board storage on the bimini was copied and I can tell you that short boards won't stay stored if the design is the same as the photos on the website.

3. phone holder and it wasn't done as well as Malibu as their holder clamps the phone in place.

4. awareness camera is a copied version of Malibu's rear view camera

5. colored thread on the upholstery, Malibu did this for 2016 model year
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-24-2016, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu23lsv View Post
This is funny. The original MC tabs didn't work so I don't count it as a true surf system. Gen2 isn't much better still and it certainly isn't as easy to operate as the Malibu ISP.

Not EVERYTHING CC brings is a copy but look at 2017 improvements, over half were copied.

1. new metal flake colors are EXACT copies of Malibu. and they even named the brown flake "bronze" the same as Malibu.

2. surf board storage on the bimini was copied and I can tell you that short boards won't stay stored if the design is the same as the photos on the website.

3. phone holder and it wasn't done as well as Malibu as their holder clamps the phone in place.

4. awareness camera is a copied version of Malibu's rear view camera

5. colored thread on the upholstery, Malibu did this for 2016 model year

3-5 Were all standard features on Supra for 2016 so who copied who?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-24-2016, 12:21 PM Reply   
The Supra engineer had just left Malibu to work at Skiers Choice which is why their boats came out looking EXACTLY like Malibu MXZs. So there you go. Supras were all Malibu ideas.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       08-25-2016, 1:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
The Supra engineer had just left Malibu to work at Skiers Choice which is why their boats came out looking EXACTLY like Malibu MXZs. So there you go. Supras were all Malibu ideas.
I would say looking exactly like MXZs is a stretch. Hell remotely like an MXZ is a stretch in my opinion.

Who cares who copied who?! Could you imagine discussing this topic in the auto world? "Company X invented cruise control! I can't F%@$ing believe companies A-Z copied them!!"
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       08-25-2016, 1:51 PM Reply   
If anything the 2017 MXZ looks like they copied Supra with that rear gel line
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-25-2016, 8:21 PM Reply   
How many people care who copied who? And does that stop you from buying that boat or company concept because of your feeling? i am not being sarcastic but curious if people buying a 100k boat get wrapped up in "what they feel was used from someone else's r&d.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-26-2016, 12:54 AM Reply   
MC was the one to officially claim to have a "surf system" on their boats, but anyone in the industry knows gen 1 did absolutely nothing to help your surf wake, and calling it a surf system was an outright lie. It was a joke.

As far as break in periods. The engines are already run for certain time at the factories. Why mfg's have a break in is so you don't run at constant rpms for long periods of times. That is what could possibly cause the damage upon break in. Running at same speeds over and over again create a friction and heat point and could possibly cause issues. So scenario 1 buyer buys boat. Wakeboards every time boat is out with several riders at same speeds. There in lies the issue.

Most dealer demoes don't keep same speed. They'll cruise, do some
Turns. Test some different speeds and a rider takes a quick set. Very minimal
Operating at one continuous speed. Next Demo. Same thing. Very minimal time is spent at same speed. The potential of a single owner riding at that same speed is much greater hence why the break in period is more more highly regarded.

So that is the slight difference why dealer demos normally ride out of the box.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-26-2016, 7:53 AM Reply   
2017 Malibu Boats Wakesetter 24 MXZ by Mason Obray, on Flickr
2017 Malibu Boats Wakesetter 24 MXZ by Mason Obray, on Flickr
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2016, 8:23 AM Reply   
Mike Brendel form MB boats always told me to break it in by using the boat as you normally would. I am not sure that is what the warranty says, but it seems logical if something is going to break under load I would rather that happen in the first 50 hours and not the first hundreds. When I install AC units on top of buildings, I don't tell the customer to baby it for the first summer. No clue what the legalities are, but I am guessing the engine manufacture has something that protects them.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-28-2016, 1:47 PM Reply   
Good looking ride for sure. Nice job on redesign