Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jn94defender)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-18-2016, 3:34 PM Reply   
Question for those of you with a black (or colored) hull. How do you keep the water spots off? My boat spends the whole year on the lift so wiping off the bottom of the boat each time is just not possible. Ideas?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-18-2016, 4:58 PM Reply   
The most effective way is leaving it on the lift and not putting it in. After that, moving to a lake with very soft water. The only other way I know of is not wearing your glasses so you can't see them of making sure your sunglasses are dirty so you don't notice them.
Everything else will get washed off when you drive the boat.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-18-2016, 6:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jn94defender View Post
Question for those of you with a black (or colored) hull. How do you keep the water spots off? My boat spends the whole year on the lift so wiping off the bottom of the boat each time is just not possible. Ideas?
Its funny you ask.

I manufacture Spotless Water Spot Remover with Wax. You can read about it at
www.spotlessboat.com It is a product I formulated and manufacture for us in the wake industry who like to wipe down the boat after each use for that show room condition. However, I am ready to test market a new technology which fits your needs. If you are willing to jump thru some hoops contact me at info@spotlessboat.com or 844-540-1080
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2016, 6:53 PM Reply   
I'm on my second black boat in eleven years. Black does require more work, but not THAT much more. I guess it depends on what your standards are. My first black boat sat on a lift its entire life from April to November for ten years and still looked brand new when I traded it in. No exaggeration. I think the secret is making sure you at least thoroughly wipe down the boat after each use. I used to use something like Babe's every second or third time I went out and would wax it two or three times a year. It's not that hard if you stay on top of it. As far as the bottom goes, it depends on the access you have with your lift. With mine, I would wipe the underneath of the front 1/3 since that's all i could reach. When I pulled it out, I'd buff out and wax the entire bottom.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-18-2016, 7:54 PM Reply   
The key is just keeping on it every time you put it on the lift wipe it down. If you get behind you will be behind. Black is not much more difficult to keep up on as long as you just wipe down each time. Either way you can buff them out later if you want. I have heard great things about Chris Walker's spotless also. Nothing sexier than black. Especially when it is clean...
Old     (Jn94defender)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-18-2016, 8:47 PM Reply   
Thanks guys... Worried that if I don't actually get in the water each time to wipe it down, I will be hating it. I love black hulls but don't want to hate the water spots.

Chris - I will shoot you a call at some point.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-19-2016, 6:25 AM Reply   
I to was worried about keeping the black hull clean when I bought my boat. Just like everyone has said wipe as much of it down with a good spot remover after you use the boat and wax it 2-3 times a year and it will keep the boat looking good. And I agree black boats look good.
Attached Images

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-19-2016, 6:38 AM Reply   
Half vinegar half water better than anything. I mean, for $15 a bottle your boat won't smell like pickles for the 2min it takes to evaporate, but it is still a $15 solution to a $0.50 problem. Every few wipedowns, hit it with a light spray wax from the auto parts store and your boat will stay spot-free and shiny forever.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-19-2016, 7:25 AM Reply   
The parts that will be your major problem are the spots the sun hits. Put most of your effort into the top deck after each use and then do the best you can reaching over the side of the boat to get the sides. I am sure you will do just fine as long as you are religious about doing it.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-19-2016, 7:41 AM Reply   
I use 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 quick detail wax, 1/3 distilled water. I have tried babes and want to try hot sauce, but with the cost and the bottles being dropped when tossed, I like my cheap stuff. I'm learning with 2 teenagers and their friends the cleanup doesn't have to be perfect every time. Just let them have fun.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-19-2016, 8:22 AM Reply   
I had WAY less problems out of my black hull than I ever had out of white! Maybe it's just the water at my lake. I just simply wiped it down every time I pulled it out with Babes Boat Brite and it always looked great! Fully waxed it once a year. Had the boat for 3 years and 620 hours and it still looks brand new with minimal effort. Now granted, I did pull mine out on a trailer every time. I've already started working on designs for some sort of rolling platform system that I will build for my dock when I have it built so that I can get up under the boat while it's on a lift.
Old     (jcon44)      Join Date: Aug 2012 Location: denver, NC       02-19-2016, 9:41 AM Reply   
I use speed gloss from Boat Candy, not every time out but almost. It has wax in it so you are not removing the wax like you do with vinegar. I wax my boat once in the spring and speed gloss as much as possible. The only down side is that people want to touch it because it's soo glossy and always looks freshly detailed, I don't like people touching my boat.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-19-2016, 10:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick232 View Post
I use 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 quick detail wax, 1/3 distilled water. I have tried babes and want to try hot sauce, but with the cost and the bottles being dropped when tossed, I like my cheap stuff. I'm learning with 2 teenagers and their friends the cleanup doesn't have to be perfect every time. Just let them have fun.
what detail wax you using? I've been doing vinegar/water for years but would like to add some wax to help it stay on the hull
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-19-2016, 6:12 PM Reply   
I use Spotless Boat and it works really well. I just spray some on as I'm doing my normal wipe down after riding.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-20-2016, 6:19 AM Reply   
Like said above is to keep it clean and not get behind on cleaning. I was told to never go with a black hull and just ordered my second black hull boat I have found using Boat Bling products have worked the best for me. The hot sauce will leave a polymer wax and keep your boat shining rather then stripping the wax with vinegar. Yes the product is pricy and there's a reason why. Worth a look and I can get it as a discount for you at my local shop delivered to your door.
Name:  Boat Bling.jpg
Views: 3523
Size:  68.7 KB
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-20-2016, 10:01 AM Reply   
Justin got it....

If you can't reach real well on the lift, you can spray heavy with the vinegar and get really good coverage, while not being concerned about wasting $15/bottle products. The vinegar is acidic and will strip your wax, so you will need to re-apply every so often. For a boat kept on lift access is probably the limiting factor. On my buddies boat we can stand on the frame/floats and get it pretty good every time out. Others I've seen not so much. Some you can float under on a tube or raft and clean. If you own a trailer I'd just pull it out every 3-4 weeks and give it a good once over and re-wax with a spray product. I like Babe's Boat Bright.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-20-2016, 10:02 AM Reply   
Vinegar mix cuts the spots as well as anything I've used.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-21-2016, 6:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
what detail wax you using? I've been doing vinegar/water for years but would like to add some wax to help it stay on the hull
Meguiars quick detail marine in the blue bottle