Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-22-2014, 9:39 AM Reply   
So it looks like Malibu is introducing as new line of "Phil Soven" Edition MXZ's. Anyone on WW getting one?

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/latest...e-edition.html

Last edited by wakeworld; 12-23-2014 at 1:31 PM.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-22-2014, 10:12 AM Reply   
Nice looking edition. Would love to see the white gel coat version with the light interior. Although that black with red interior is one of the best looking Malibus I've ever seen

Last edited by you_da_man; 12-22-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-22-2014, 10:49 AM Reply   
the vinyl pattern is hideous, way too much red
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-22-2014, 11:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
the vinyl pattern is hideous, way too much red
I like it, it "pops". Ordinary and conservative equals blah blah and just not my style.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       12-22-2014, 11:36 AM Reply   
Waits for someone to complain that Nautique did the "signature edition" years ago and Maibu is just copying the better brand.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-22-2014, 12:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
I like it, it "pops". Ordinary and conservative equals blah blah and just not my style.
I like wild and all, but to me this just looks like an old 80s Cadillac with red leather interior.

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-22-2014, 12:31 PM Reply   
I think that interior looks awesome. It may get old fast but I think it does look really cool.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-22-2014, 12:48 PM Reply   
I'm going 71 mustang and even if I didn't hate red that has got to get old quick

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-22-2014, 12:52 PM Reply   
No Skeleton Hand down the side flashing a west coast sighn? Phffft No Thank's LOL

Yes I thought the same about the interior, Pretty Wild I think it looks cool. I thought Damm that interior BLACK has got to be hot to sit on. But most of us sit on towels so it may not be a problem. A friend has a Super Air and it has a big black vinyl section on the V drive cover. After a few hrs sitting in the sun if you step on that black Vinyl HOLLY Crap its hot.

Last edited by grant_west; 12-22-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-22-2014, 12:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I like wild and all, but to me this just looks like an old 80s Cadillac with red leather interior.

I see it as a 2015 Stingray instead of 80's Caddy
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-22-2014, 3:10 PM Reply   
Some visual add-ons and a dudes last name stitched into the seat... I guess it looks cool, but do they really expect people to pay more for it?

When I think of something in a special edition that you generally pay more for, I would expect something special in the way of performance and function. Features that are not available as part of the "normal" option list.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-22-2014, 6:09 PM Reply   
Is the picture of Phil's boat photoshopped? Look at the side, it says "Wakeseter" missing the second "T". It almost looks like all those photos are photoshopped.

I do like the red interior...a lot of the new cars are doing that...my new car included.

Last edited by wiscxstar; 12-22-2014 at 6:18 PM.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       12-22-2014, 7:47 PM Reply   
Thats the new wake setter logo. its two Ts cut in half
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-22-2014, 8:10 PM Reply   
Not normally a fan of pro edition boats, the vandle axis is hideous, but this one is pretty nice to my eye.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       12-23-2014, 5:49 AM Reply   
I actually don't mind the interior. I would like to see the lighter color option just for curiosity. I'm not super impressed with the wake in these shots though...

In the first pic the wake just looks awful! From a marketing standpoint I can't believe Malibu put that pic out. The second pic wake looks better, but small IMHO. I've only ridden behind one 24MXZ, and that was for 2 passes in a contest, but it was a BIG wake. Granted it had tons of people and I'm sure extra ballast where as this is most likely straight off the factory floor, but I thought the factory wake was larger on this boat. Maybe its just poor angle or something.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-23-2014, 6:23 AM Reply   
It is a photo taken from the off-side from the rear. Most pros set the wake to peel directly behind him and the off-side will always break over because he is pulling from the other side.

The belief that you can tell anything about a wake by looking a photo needs to stop. The fact that he is boosting TS-BS tower high should prove that the wake doesn't suck.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-23-2014, 6:34 AM Reply   
That wake is so good you don't even need a rope.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       12-23-2014, 6:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
It is a photo taken from the off-side from the rear. Most pros set the wake to peel directly behind him and the off-side will always break over because he is pulling from the other side.

The belief that you can tell anything about a wake by looking a photo needs to stop. The fact that he is boosting TS-BS tower high should prove that the wake doesn't suck.
The first pic isn't off side. You can clearly see he edged into the port side wake. Second pic yes he is edging into starboard side so your logic in these two pics is backwards. I know what you are trying to say though as most every boat I've ridden behind does this on the opposite side I edge into.

I'm not arguing that the wake sucks. I've ridden behind similar boats and while it wasn't may personal favorite wake, it was a decent wake and other than lack of pop (used to riding Legacy SAN) I liked it. I'm just stating the first pic may not have been in the best marketing interests of Malibu. Remember back to the new Xstar wake pics and how nearly everyone thought the wake was washed out and horrible looking. Boat companies should think about those things when taking marketing photos of their product IMHO. If a company is taking the time, money, effort to hype a new product they shouldn't allow any room for haters and show the best possible product.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-23-2014, 7:05 AM Reply   
The wash caught up to where he left the wake in the first picture.

What if the wake is absolutely perfect to showcase Soven's riding? Low angle low speed photos look awesome, but what does that prove? If I shot a product video of the wake with the boat balanced well and the rider standing on a 65ft line at 20.5mph would that be false advertising?

As for the internet. Also remember that there were vids of Harley and Dowdy re-writing what was possible behind those supposedly washy wakes coming out at the same time.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       12-23-2014, 7:33 AM Reply   
Nevermind... Everyone carry on discussing how the interior looks like 1970s automotive styling.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-23-2014, 9:25 AM Reply   
Sorry for being crabby. I didn't plan on being at the office today. I don't like the interior, but I see a lot of people with rich interiors now. I didn't like the MC leather interior colors either, but once I was convinced that it would get too hot, I started to like them.