Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       09-19-2014, 7:50 AM Reply   
Watch video, then discuss... Interesting concept, but I don't see it replacing replacing wake riding for myself.

http://youtu.be/3jis2gLIkgQ
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-19-2014, 8:14 AM Reply   
Interesting concept. The speed seems a little slow (22mph) and there does not seem to be wake customization. I could see it as a trainer but it could have some potential.

Wonder how a huge fall or landing would feel.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-19-2014, 8:29 AM Reply   
+1 on what it would feel like to eat sh** on that. no thanks. or if you came up short on a wake to wake! It would feel really weird edging into the wake with no actual forward momentum.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-19-2014, 8:38 AM Reply   
I see how the flowing water keeps tension in the rope while on the rider is on the surface of the water, but what keeps the tension in the rope as soon as the rider is in the air?
Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-19-2014, 9:04 AM Reply   
If their example is the way it is intended to be ridden, the tension of the rope is going to be completely different edging away from the center point to hit the wake. I am also wondering about the line tension while in the air like Andrew said. Obviously the slams, only landing in the flats, and shape of the wake (who knows) look to be concerns as well. It will probably have to be kept small scale and could help for learning some of the basics. I don't see anyone going huge off this... and surviving.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-19-2014, 9:19 AM Reply   
It'll feel different I bet, kind of like practicing on a trampoline with a rope and board. I'd give it a shot though!
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       09-19-2014, 10:17 AM Reply   
Looks like they just expanded on the WakeBox, cool concept but I'd want to see a working unit before giving it much thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awCKFX0mmMw

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwn...-wakebox_sport
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-19-2014, 10:27 AM Reply   
I've been thinking of something similar for years. My idea involves setting a boat hull in a river that flows around 23mph. I think the only difference in feel would be the lack of line tension in the air as stated above. It would make for a very cost effective ride though!
Old     (hotrod508)      Join Date: Oct 2013       09-19-2014, 4:55 PM Reply   
Everyone would have one if they didn't cost 1.5 million
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-19-2014, 10:34 PM Reply   
Pros:
Consistency
Cons:
Lack of depth
Falls
Replication of the lip/curl of a wake
Speed
Line Tension
Ride Time
Maintenance

I can't be the only who cuts deeper than this flowing water will be. When I cut, my edge is 4-5 inches underwater. As stated above, casing the wake, losing the handle, under/over rotating all sound terrible if you're landing on an airbag that has to be firm enough to support running water. I too have given this idea some thought after seeing flowriders and the like, but in reality it just doesn't sound like something that would appeal to an advanced rider, though the video didn't really make an effort to do so. As much as I like falling while strapped in and then getting jetted off the back of a raised platform into water that isn't deeper than I am tall, I'm gonna pass on this one.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-19-2014, 11:02 PM Reply   
Recreational, sure, probably won't see a bunch of people doing inverts on it. I can't imagine what it'd feel like to take a big spill from a jump onto a 12" air mattress. no thank you.
I can see people doing this as they would a flowrider, just for fun, nothing serious.