Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       06-18-2013, 6:53 PM Reply   
I've been searching for a while on which tricks to start attempting first, and have kind of come up empty handed. I've been working on getting my HS w2w jumps dialed in consistently, and jump TS quite a bit but have yet to take a TS jump farther then 3/4 the way across the wakes. I landed my first "trick" 2 or 3 weekends ago, which was a HS FS 180. I've only landed one, and have only done probably 2 since I landed my first one. I've tried a bunch of HS FS 360's and can get around on it, but havent gotten the rope back yet. I got a trampoline late last week and started working on tantrums and the 360s. I threw 8 to 10 tantrums last weekend, and almost landed 3 or 4 of them I'd say. They weren't going to be w2w tho. I was thinking about filling bags this weekend and trying to get a lot more pop off the top to take them w2w. So my question is, what are the first 3 or 4 tricks that you guys learn? Inverts before spins? Backside 180s, taking HS jumps huge to the flats? I just dont want to get hung up on trying to land a 360 or tantrum when there's other tricks that will progress my riding as well in the mean time.
Old     (Kevinbieber)      Join Date: May 2013       06-18-2013, 7:05 PM Reply   
The easiest trick for me was a tantrum which if you're already trying you could just keep it up but my first invert was a roll to revert kind of odd but the tantrum is the easiest haven't really had a bad fall with a tantrum either so maybe go for it. Maybe post a video so we could give you some advice on your tantrum butfromwhat it sounds like you need to maybe edge farther out and have a more aggressive edge towards the wake and you really have to get that trip timing right at the top of the wake or you won't get enough air
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       06-18-2013, 7:18 PM Reply   
For starters i would say get your basics down like w2w jumps pretty solid, work on switched riding and jumping the wake switched(not taking it w2w right away, but getting the feel of riding switched). Id say learning switched it very important so that you don't catch as many edges when learning more tricks. Then id say to work on FS 180's for regular and switched on both HS and TS. It can save you from catching some nasty edges later on. After that i would go to inverts and work on either a tantrum or a backroll. This is the order I started learning some of my first tricks in. I think some of the basic stuff is really important because you use it on almost every trick you will learn. There are probably many other ways to progress, but this is just the way i was taught. Good luck!
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       06-18-2013, 7:19 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG8lw61y3-s
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       06-18-2013, 7:22 PM Reply   
I have been working on a progressive edge, but I think I am to mellow and need to charge harder, especially in the trough of the wake. When I throw some weight in my DD, I can easily go w2w, but I think that's probably due to bad habits or incorrect technique because I should be able to easily go w2w over the stock wake. Any input is awesome!!
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       06-18-2013, 7:30 PM Reply   
You shouldn't need some crazy cut to do a w2w. Work on technique for all your wake jumps that will help you with all your tricks you end up doing. If you go to wakeboardingmag.com I think they have had some good "how to" stuff from a while back on technique and wake jumps "how to do more with less" I think thats what it was not 100% sure on that one though.
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       06-18-2013, 7:34 PM Reply   
I found that "how to' article. Hopefully it helps you! http://wakeboardingmag.com/how-to/20...ore-with-less/
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       06-18-2013, 7:44 PM Reply   
Thanks a lot, Jared!
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-18-2013, 8:07 PM Reply   
Hey Bryce, like your name bro lol! it looks to me like the w2w's are getting there, but it looks like you are backing off at the wake; to make it w2w I would suggest edging the whole way through. You will be in much more control and the landings will be much softer. Also looking at the opposite wake instead of the boat will help a lot, if you aren't already.

That tantrum looks great! I just started doing them so I'm no expert, but taking them w2w helped me so much. Don't be afraid to cut in harder on the tantrum, the extra air time helps a ton. They are a super fun,good looking trick though.

Finally, after you dial up the tantrum a really fun trick is the scarecrow. They become a really consistent trick because you can spot the landing. I would definitely learn it on the trampoline first though the learning curve can be a bit painful with toe edge catches and stuff. Rant over, sorry, tear it up man!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-18-2013, 8:14 PM Reply   
learn toeside and switch before you worry too much about 360s and such... Progressive edge