Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-27-2013, 7:28 PM Reply   
Ok I am looking for some advice. We just bought a new MB 2013 23WB. Now I want to go to Powell and explore. Do some wakeboarding and photo safari ( another hobby). We are renting a 28 RV . We are picking it up in Las Vegas(family there) from June 10 thru the 14. Where should I go and where should I stay.
Thanks for any advice
Don C.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-27-2013, 10:19 PM Reply   
Antelope Point Marina with the boat for sure. They don't have anything for RV's that I know but it's sure a site to see. Floating restaurant and bar, massive houseboats, cable and rails, and the best staff on Lake Powell. Grab a map cause you aint going to see it all Look into Lone rock for camping if you like the sound of dirt bikes and loud boats. You can park you RV right at the water line and it's a HUGE beach but be ready for a crowd.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-27-2013, 11:28 PM Reply   
1. Antelope Marina is pretty bomb diggity as Josh said.
floating restaurant
Mini two-way cable park in the marina
great cart service for hauling peeps and goods up and down the ramp (lake is a little low so its a long haul)
simply put it is the newest marina on the lake
*speaking of the lake being low. IF the snow pack that feeds the lake takes a dive like it did last year the run-off will be piddly again, which means the castle-rock cut will be dry. if this happens Antelope is a NO-brainer as it will save you over about an hour or more of time being beat-up in your boat as you traffic the long way around antelope (landlocked)island
http://snowpack.water-data.com/uppercolorado/index.php
http://lakepowell.water-data.com/

2. Wahweap is the other marina to choose (without driving deeper into utah)
there is a camp ground there for RVs and such that is right next to state-line launch ramp.

3. Lone-rock for parties as said

Places to see on the lake: can't really go wrong with any place on Powell. Padre Bay is huge with other smaller bays and canyons. Also there is great history there. The crossing of the fathers that explored the are came through there back in the 1700's thus the name.

Rainbow bridge, antelope canyon, and navajo canyon are the places that the tours go. just fyi if you want to avoid it, see what most see, or even find big tour boat waves to sling a tube into ** careful**

Last edited by wakerider111; 02-27-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-27-2013, 11:29 PM Reply   
if you are one to insist on putting ethenol-free fuel in your boat --- sunshine fuel in Page i think is the only option
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-27-2013, 11:33 PM Reply   
ohh and if you were thinking about taking a longer route through kingman az and then up to powell for what ever reason that will be a bad idea because of a recent land slide that damaged the highway 89 south of Powell. it is going to take major time to repair it potentially
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-28-2013, 7:39 AM Reply   
If you're going to seriously explore bring lots of 5 gallon gas cans, it can be a long drive between marinas when you don't have a house boat and it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-06-2013, 9:07 PM Reply   
I had heard some things about the castle-rock cut being dug deeper this spring... i did not want to say anything till i heard or saw it actually taking place. i couple days ago i saw a big barge and some big rigs at the pass. Hopefully, regardless of what the spring runoff sends us the cut will be open all season long
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-07-2013, 5:39 AM Reply   
Powell needs to think in terms of "Panama Canal" to permanently fix the Castle Rock cut off.

The cut off can make or break day trips up the lake.

Any where you go on Powell is beautiful, it will be the trip of your life.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-07-2013, 5:56 AM Reply   
Can anyone tell me about Bullfrog? That is where I plan to enter Powell from. We would be doing some exploring site seeing but mostly stay close & just enjoy the water.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-07-2013, 8:43 AM Reply   
Jack ~ Grew up on Bullfrog... You have plenty of options depending on the direction you go. You have Halls Creek Bay which is the closest but really busy for camping. Only 10 min from a camp site to Halls Marina so gas is never a problem. Your best bet will be to head up lake and visit all the arms, its a bit of a drive but some damn good camping and a LOT to see. If your staying there in BF then super early and late you will get some decent water to play on.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-02-2013, 10:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
Can anyone tell me about Bullfrog? That is where I plan to enter Powell from. We would be doing some exploring site seeing but mostly stay close & just enjoy the water.
Like Josh said, there's tons of options, the best thing you can do is get a map of the lake, tons of info. Also, not sure if you have heard of it yet, but check out www.milehighmeetandgreet.com, there's a ton of people who frequent Powell a lot, and we also do a big houseboat trip out of Bullfrog. Check it out.