Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       09-10-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
I was wondering what is the most appropriate way in which to step aside from your current position? I've worked here for 15 months now and the job is ok but ive decided to start my own business and was wondering how to go about quitting my job. I feel bad becasue i feel as if they had trained me to fill a position that when i leave they will be lacking.

Do i just tell my boss that i need to leave in two weeks? do i give him a written notice also?

I guess i want to know what is the best way to leave in the most professional way possible without stirring up bad vibes.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-10-2012, 8:51 AM Reply   
if you want to help them out then have a frank discussion with your supervisor and anyone else appropriate about your plan, and let them know that you're open to giving them a month so that you can help train a replacement (if you are open to that). They will likely appreciate the gesture even if they don't take you up on it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-10-2012, 9:34 AM Reply   
You need to write a letting either way declaring that you intend to give two weeks. That way, if they decide to let you go on the spot, they're usually more inclined to pay you for the two weeks anyway.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-10-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
Unless you're a stripper whos company bought her implants and scared theyll reposess them. Like the poster said above...have a letter typed up and sit down as a professional with your boss or higher ups since you feel like you'll be leaving them in a bind and discuss it. One thing I was taught...never burn a bridge. You never know when you might cross paths with them, need a reference etc.

My last employer I gave 4mos notice, giving them time to find replacement and train that person. I was even involved in the hiring process. All this bc they did so much for me in my professional career.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-10-2012, 12:18 PM Reply   
Just don't burn any bridges, I left my boss 6 years ago to do my on thing, and said I would never be back. I design furniture so I worked for a few diffrent firms then decided I was going free lance on my own for two years and did pretty good, but this year my boss called me up and and made me an offer I could refuse to come back and work for him. So you just never know!!
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-10-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
Start your business during off hours and do both jobs for as long as you can.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-10-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
You should show up drunk and streak the place.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-10-2012, 5:06 PM Reply   
Drop a steamer on the bosses desk?
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-10-2012, 5:15 PM Reply   
I was thinking pull the emergency handle on the door and pop the chute, grab a couple of beers out of the galley, flip everybody the bird to go f*** off, and be on your merry way?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-10-2012, 5:32 PM Reply   
At my first real post university job, when I left a bunch of us went out and got smashed at lunch. They made me sober up before I could leave.
Second job, I gave 2 weeks quite publicly, then deleted all of my emails (quite liberating) and set an auto rule announcing my departure and I'd not be reading any more mails. The VP of the group then tried to hire me back as consultant for nearly 3x my current base pay. That sealed it for me and I left. Had several people try to come with.
In my 3rd job still, no plans to leave.

I'd say it all depends on the people and situation. I'm still great friends with my 1st job's manager and still good friends with many folks from my second job.

Last edited by magic; 09-10-2012 at 5:33 PM. Reason: ...
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-10-2012, 5:57 PM Reply   
You infect the accounting system with a computer virus, designed to divert fractions of pennies into a bank account you control?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-10-2012, 8:14 PM Reply   
Sit down with your boss and tell him thank you for the experience and that he has taught you so much in the last 18 months that you re going to use all of that info to steal his clients and get rich.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-11-2012, 8:12 AM Reply   
F you, F you F you, your cool, F you and I outta here
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-11-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8d9p...eature=related
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-11-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
I love the way this thread went... haha!
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-11-2012, 2:57 PM Reply   
Like Tucker said.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/p...cs.html?_esi=1
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-12-2012, 12:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
You infect the accounting system with a computer virus, designed to divert fractions of pennies into a bank account you control?
Lol. That was a funny movie.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       09-12-2012, 5:16 AM Reply   
This turned into a typical wake world thread. About 10% honest answers followed by 90% bs. lol
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-12-2012, 2:14 PM Reply   
No one sought to offend you, but had fun with the opening question. I've quit 3 professional jobs. I took a different tack each time. But all succeeded. !!!

I was ultimately let go in each instance.

To turn the subject, I've been wondering, in Kiwi, what is a 'steamer?'

"Drop a steamer on the bosses desk? "
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-12-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
A hot, steaming turd.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-12-2012, 2:26 PM Reply   
Whoa ?!?!?!?

you're so like .... worldly
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-12-2012, 4:31 PM Reply   
a while back, one of my managers and a waitress didn't see eye to eye. The waitress waited until we had about 250 customers in the place, and proceeded to take her top off right in the middle of the main dining room. She stood there bare back and yelled.....F this place...., threw her shirt at the manager and left.

If I could have chosen someone to do this, it would not have been her. It was not a pleasant sight
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       09-13-2012, 5:18 AM Reply   
^ Better than a dude taking his pants off and saying to suck it!!!