Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-02-2011, 8:23 AM Reply   
Building a corrugated pipe slider this weekend and while I have a good idea how I want to do it, I would love to hear of anyone's recommendations on what they've tried that didnt work or what people are doing to make it work.

It will be a 24" diameter pipe 20' in length. Our goal is to float it by itself without the support of anything underneath it, with simple anchors (cinder blocks) on ropes to keep it in a general area.

From pictures, it looks as though sealing the ends or stuffing the ends with some sort of floatable object will do just fine. I'm up in the air on having floatable objects in the pipe, or just air tight sealing the ends very very well.

Thanks in advance for any tips. Here is a pic of what I'm going for....(recently posted in the fav photo thread/not my pic).
Attached Images

Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-02-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
I really dont think just floating it would work well at all. Floating rails are usually really wide at the base to give them stability, and a pipe is the exact opposite. It would bounce a lot when you land on it, and probably roll a bit too. Doesnt sound like much fun to hit to me. Why dont you want to put posts under it?
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-02-2011, 9:23 AM Reply   
^so you think the above picture has posts under it? I dont want to do posts because it will be always be set for temporary use and transportable. I also have no idea what the depth will be where it will be set.... I've seen multiple pictures of corrugated pipe sliders and they always looked like they were just floating. I understand it will give a little/bounce, but I dont think near enough to be a problem. hmm...
Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-02-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
It won't roll if you moor it properly. And bouncing is inevitable, unless you get super bouyant items to help hold it up.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-02-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
with out supports under it, it will want to roll on you. maybe get some smaller diameter corrigated tubes & attach them to the sides (simiar to what Rave used to do for thier inflatable sliders)

The tube in the picture is not giving at all (where the rider is), I am guessing it is mounted to braces that rest on the bottom of the pool somehow....
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-02-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
personally i dont even think rolling would matter, seal the ends and anchor it, i bet it would be pretty solid
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-02-2011, 1:42 PM Reply   
I have ridden them before...really fun actually. My suggestion (based on my limited experience sliding them) would be to seal the ends really well but put a small screw cap somewhere so you can "sink" it a little by adding water if needed....to adjust height, etc. I would also opt to anchor it by picking up some of those 5 gallon buckets from home depot and either filling with cement or mud...cheap but nice and heavy. I would think you would want some heavy anchors for the slider. Probably 2 per end setup in an X formation.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-09-2011, 12:00 PM Reply   
So that photo is of me at last years Spanky Beaver Jib Jam in Vallejo, CA. One the the Hyperlite guys had that bad boy and it was very fun to hit. I'm not sure how they sealed it but it was very buoyant and very heavy. Part of me thinks it was partially full of water or gravel to help prevent rolling. It was not sitting on anything at all. If memory serves they only had it held down with one anchor on each end and while it did dip a little when you hit it, the thing was only maybe 20 feet long so it was on/off real quick. Rolling isn't that huge of an issue, for one rolling doesn't affect the jib and two if you tie off the anchors to the bottom and keep the rope tight it can't roll all that much. The wakeskaters really liked it and I was having fun trying to press it as you can see in the picture.

Last edited by stephan; 09-09-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-19-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
nice hit than stephan! thanks for being cool with me using the photo.

We ended up having a blast on the one we built and took it up to powell this last week for a full 7 days. Our was 15' long by 24" diameter. A little short, but easier to transport at this length than the full 20' we bought.
We sealed the ends with pre cut circular 24" pine from Lowe's (I think it was 1.5" thick) and used a couple different sealants on the wood to plastic joint. My buddy topped it off with roof tar on the ends. We anchored each end with a loop of rope that lays perfectly in the corrugated section and one cinder block and hit it. It was perfect and didnt let water in at all for an entire week. super fun and about $200 total. I will say it is heavy and bit of a hassle to transport, but the setup once you get it to where you're going couldn't be more simple. It barely dips when hit, and if any rolling is happening at all you cant feel it a bit. peace!

Last edited by wakeandsnow27; 09-19-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typos
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-19-2011, 3:52 PM Reply   
how did you go about procuring the pipe?
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-19-2011, 5:04 PM Reply   
locally on craigslist. Found a weirdo with a backyard full of junk who had a couple different lengths. Wanted $10/ft for the 2' diameter pieces. I ended up paying $150 for a 20' x 2'. Im in construction, and had some local suppliers give me quotes...12" diameter was about $8.40/ft. 24" diameter jumped way up....