Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-23-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
I rode this weekend and tried to ride with out my brace. On my first jump I cased the wake and "tweeked" my outer mcl. I have in the past year just rode with my doctor supplied support brace, its velcro top to bottom with 2 metal hinges. Nothing wrong other than some swelling and a sore knee and a vivid flashback to the ACL tear 2 years ago

I can do anything else with the knee but I guess I'm at the age where the brace is the only way to continue to ride at 75 feet behind the boat.

Thoughts on the CTI would be great.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-23-2011, 7:06 PM Reply   
I ride at 80' and sometimes 90' .The line length doesn't hurt you,your arc and landing flat in the flats or casing the wake is what hurts.If you see your going to case the wake just let go of the handle it will be alot less impact.As for the knee brace CTI and don joy are the big names,but i don't have an opinion on either as i don't wear one.I'm just lucky i guess.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-23-2011, 10:55 PM Reply   
zach. age doesn't really matter. i ride with a guy who just turned 49 and can still land tantrum to blinds and raleys way out into the flats. first and foremost, any brace... custom or not.. won't give you 100% protection from knee injuries however, they will provide stability to knees that have already sustained an injury such as a ligament tear or sprain. i've experienced ACL tears in both knees already and i am pushing 24. the most important thing is to stay in shape and take up a physical fitness routine, even if its for only 20 minutes a day. i'd say warming up before you ride is just as important, to get those muscle fibers used to firing as needed. plyometrics and yoga are personal favorites.

physical fitness and flexiblity are more important than having the brace. i tweaked my left knee the other day, wearing my CTi custom. i could've injured my knee had i not been wearing the brace but i also could've injured it had i not warmed up, stretched, etc.

all in all, its never a question of if it will happen (again), its question of when. zane schwenk has had 7 knee operations. if you don't want to pay the price of having another injury, you can still progress without going way out into the flats. and like robert said, if you are going to case the wake, let go of the handle to take some of the impact away. when you crash still holding onto the handle the impact is way worse because you're almost being pulled into it. at surf expo, andrew adkison told me he only goes out into the flats when he is doing photo shoots, videos, or demoes. ride smarter, not harder.
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-24-2011, 3:04 PM Reply   
I am 39 and have blown out both ACL's. I will not ride again without my CTI's. Mine are the custom fit and insurance picked up most of the tab. In a perfect world I would hit the gym everday and stretch but I don't so I wear the braces. I have tried Bledsoe's and they sucked. Always moving around and loosing straps and breaking buckels. CTI's have been great. I also wear them for MX. They got pretty banged up from MX, I took them in and they fixed them up no questions asked.

I know they have saved my knees especially when I am trying something new and end up in an awkward landing position.
Old     (glassywater09)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-30-2011, 8:18 AM Reply   
61 and impressed with what strength training and stretching can do for a never repaired acl from my 20's. Have a drawer full of stretchy velcro braces that transitioned me thru learning wake and snow board from 5 yrs ago... don't need them anymore. Ride more, do squats and pilates... not setting anything on fire but still in the games. The body adapts. And heals.... ugh... oh yeah, Motrin now and then
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-30-2011, 8:43 PM Reply   
I'm 51 and here's some pic's from today.No braces here.
Attached Images