Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-24-2009, 6:59 PM Reply   
I just recently purchased an '02 Sanger and I'm looking for a local Mercruiser technician for routine maintenance. I live in Huntington Beach so the closer the more convenient. Any referrals would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-24-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
Allison Marine in Costa Mesa
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-25-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
Bill Wilson in Corona, I know its a drive but worth it. I used to drive up from SD.

Bill & Mikes Boat & Bike Shop. 230 N. SHERMAN. CORONA, CA 92882. phone: (951) 288-7445.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
Yourself! Trying to save money this year, I just did all the annual maintenance on my '02 Sanger for less than $100 including changing the plugs ($50). A few internet searches, some questions on hear and an afternoon and you'll be good to go.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
Good advice Andy, I've always done all my service and repairs myself as well. Easy and cheap.
My boat has not left our river place since I towed it down there seven years ago!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
B Walker,

It's this easy:

Oil change - 15W40 Quicksilver Oil, Oil Filter & Fuel Filter/water separator - all carried at WalMart for maybe $35 total. You'll need an oil pump (one time purchase for $20-50) to make the job easy).

Walter V-Drive oil change - 1 qt. 30Wt Oil anywhere. I couldn't get the pump to suck out much so I used the drain plug at the bottom of the V-Drive unit. E-mail/PM me if you want a schematic/location description I found on the internet of where the plug is located, and where to fill.

Trans Fluid Change - 2 qts ATF III, anywhere, maybe $10. Suck out the old stuff with your pump, re-fill in the same place.

Plugs if it's been 500 hours I believe. I bought on e-bay (AC 41-993, replacement for 41-932) for $46 total. NAPA or Kragen might be $10-20 more than this.

Clean spark arrester (air filter) with water, soap & toothbrush. Cost nothing.

Check the belt for cracks, etc. (mine was replaced last year).

That's pretty much it. Having now figured it out the first time, it will take me half the time next year. Again, PM me if you want an e-mail with the 350 Mag and Walter V-Drive owner's manual.

... Oh and the impeller which was done last year and I haven't had to figure out yet. Can't be that hard and there's plenty of expertise on this board for how to get that done. Impeller cost, probably $20.

(Message edited by ottog1979 on February 25, 2009)
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
Chris,

Where is that "river place" by the way?
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-25-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
Guys,

Really appreciate the advice. I was thinking about doing a lot of the routine maintenance myself as you suggested, except I don't have the owners manual for the engine. The boats a V210 with the Black Scorpion. Do any of you have the specs on what oil filter and fuel filter to use?

Andy -- I'll PM you later as I probably have some questions for you.

I see you guys also ride in the same area as we do out on CO River -- we launch out near Palo Verde and have a mobile home in Cibola on the AZ side.

Again, thanks for the info this is my first boat purchase.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
Andy G. and B Walker ~ PM'd you both