Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            08-26-2007, 4:58 AM Reply   
These are mostly from day 2, the last day is today, if you haven't been down to Lake Yosemite yet, you really owe it to yourself to see some of the riding in the finals today.

I wonder why James is smiling so broadly? :-)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-26-2007, 5:02 AM Reply   
A few more:

In the final picture, that is Mr. & Mrs. Tim Lopes (formerly of Centurion and the winner of the first WWSC) and Mr. and Mrs. Rob Stimmel (the man behind Boardstock)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-26-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
Jeff - is Surftech making Wakesurfers now?
Old     (country_bred_country_fed)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-26-2007, 5:18 PM Reply   
How did everyone do? Brie, James , Austin, Mikey??? You would think the "Worlds would be more up to date" on there internet results !!!

Best Regards,

Jr
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-26-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
I’d say that Robbie did a little better than James on the second day of Wakefest. He rode with Ali, Jordan, and one of their other girl’s friends. I guess the down side was the girl’s dad was also on the boat.

Jr, from my experience the guys running the event are way too busy to post up. Maybe a bigger event like Worlds has more staff. I've had the good fortune of have folks like the Gordon's, Walker's, and a good friend from work on board taking pictures during some of my events. I still don't have all the pictures from Nationals. I should get more Nationals pictures Monday evening as well as the video footage. I'm sure Jeff will send picture's from Nationals as soon as Worlds settles down.

Off Subject - We had a good set on O’Shaughnessy today but the other two guys on board were goofy so we just rigged for goofy. At least I got some switch and heel side practice in. The goofy wake on my boat just doesn't have the push that the Avy does.

Also off subject - Kevin had nothing but trouble at the Governors cup on Saturday. Fast boats are too much work for the ride time.
Old     (country_bred_country_fed)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-26-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
A minute after I posted! Brie called me and she won the worlds!!! on a Calibrated... Drew took 1st in mens and Chase 2nd...
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-26-2007, 5:37 PM Reply   
Isn't the internet cool, did she see your post, must have. Big thanks to Al Gore for inventing the internet:-)

(Message edited by Bigshow on August 26, 2007)
Old     (country_bred_country_fed)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-26-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
Edward,

I own four fast boats! I would trade them all for a 24ft ENZO!!!!!!

Best Regards,

Jr

P.S. Calibrated Skims will dominate soon! As they have already proved in National and World Championships!!! Mike Armstrong will only make them better for 08....
Old     (surf_girl)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-26-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
Congrats Bri! I knew you would win after seeing you surf at Nationals. I'm very excited about being your new team mate on the Calibrated team next year. I'm hoping you will help teach me to spin big like you do next year.

Kayley
Old    surfdad            08-26-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
Matt, yeah they are making skimmers and they had a few quad finned models with a typical skimboard outline. One of the boards on display must have been 3 inches thick!

Jr, we just finished the contest this evening at around 5'ish...I'm sure that Centurion will post the results soon.

In the Men's open:

Drew Danielo
Chase Hazen
Dominique Lagoce
Ryan Fair
James Walker

Women's Open:

Bri Chmel
Jacquelin Croce
Jessica Oswald
Jennifer Sellers
Angelic

Kayley, so good to see you posting! You'll be spinning 3's in no time!
Old    surfdad            08-27-2007, 4:25 AM Reply   
Matt, this thread has a link to a Surfline article about the Surftech Rousch boards:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/462675.html?1181787075
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-27-2007, 5:46 AM Reply   
looks like a decent grass roots event
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-27-2007, 6:48 AM Reply   
Indeed a grass roots event with 78 competitors from across the country and many international entrants as well, and a total prize money of $12,000. I guess some might consider this grass roots.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
Can somebody post the results for all of the events? Nothing has been updated on the official site.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-27-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
I do. That's an extremely small comp for that many divisions. The average grass roots skim comp has about 100 competitors.

(Message edited by caskimmer on August 27, 2007)
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
Were you out supporting this "grass roots" event Sean?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-27-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
Here are two Wakesurf grass roots event comparisons.

1) The 2007 Scioto Wakefest, held in Columbus, Ohio, was a Grass Roots event.

The total budget for the 2007 Scioto Wakefest including cash sponsorship, entry fees, and donated prizes was just over $9,000. Just over $3,000 of that total was donated prizes. Total prize money was only $1,500.

The Scioto Wakefest was a three ring circus which included Wakesurfing, Hydrofoil, and Wakeboard/wakeskate. We had 15 divisions, so the chance of walking away with a little glory was pretty good.

The total entries were (some entered multiple divisions):
14 Hydro Foil - day one
18 Wakesurf - day one
31 Wakeboard/wakeskate - day two
63 Total

On a good day with everything running smoothly how many riders do you think you could pull, I think maybe 100?

Under USA Water Ski/USA Wakeboard one separating factor from full up tournaments and Grass roots tournament are entry fees and the qualifications of the officials. After having run several grass roots tournaments I could probably step up and run a USA Wakeboard tournament but at the end of the day I don’t see why I would want to. I’d rather try to be a little more laid back.

The first ever NWL Wakesurf Nationals was held the weekend before Worlds at Eastwood Lake, Dayton, Ohio. There were a total of 26 wakesurf entries and nine divisions.
Old     (dfizzle15)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-27-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
I can't believe what a poor turn out the event was. No advertising? I ran into Tim Lopes, and he was uphauled that his event has turn into such a shamble. It looked to me like the lake was closed. Seemed like a huge waste of time. I could call a couple friends and have a better event than that. Should have left it at Clear Lake.
Old    surfdad            08-27-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
Nice first post dfizzle15. It never ceases to amaze me the negative energy this contest seems to stir up, I'd guess it has to do with
the name more than anything else. If it was called "Centurion's end of summer bbq and horseshoe throwing contest" would folks still complain about the poor quality of the horseshoes? :-) "I can make better horseshoes than that with playdoh!" :-)

Folks, can we keep this in perspective, please? Centurion organizes it, provides the boats, provides the staffing, provided the majority of the prize money, provided all of the equipment...etc, it's a Centurion event.

What are there, 11 contests throughout the country? We just don't have that many and for Centurion to provide this event for folks really is extremely generous.

There are always things that can be done better, at any event. The NWL nationals will have a dock next year :-) That event, in my mind, was such a remarkable undertaking and success.

I have to think that constructive criticism is always welcomed by an organizer, but lambasting like this serves no purpose. Whistling a "anything you can do I can do better" tune is meaningless, especially when unsupported by action.

That said, I have trouble imagining that Mr. Lopes was publicly appalled by any wakesurfing event, he's such a strong supporter of any and all wakesurfing contests and I've always known him to be professional. I certainly hope that hasn't changed. All of us in the sport would welcome his many years of experience presented in a positive manner.
Old     (the_duke)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-27-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
WOE NOW! No need for all the hate!

I will say, I was a little disappointed in the lack of marketing and organization. And I’m still not in favor of having so many separate divisions at a premier event. The original idea behind that event was to bring the best wake-surfers from everywhere to compete for one title, Open World Champion. The rest of the events girls, boys, women’s and men’s were always listed as amateur events. And only created to allow a venue for other to participate for a title. I still feel “You shouldn’t bring a knife to a gun fight”.

I’m sure everyone did the best they could. The event and the sport will only get bigger and better with the right people at the helm. I think Vicky from Kal Kustom and here crew did a great job.

Keep up the good work.
Old     (dfizzle15)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-27-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
Maybe I should restate my comments. I cannot believe for an event that has been around, that it would have such a poor turn out. I have been to Boardstock several times and the amount of people was considerable different. We drove a ways to check it out, and we were definately disappointed. It doesn't seem like the event was advertised or promoted. One rider stood out and it was Drew (Centurion Rider). I just thought there would have been a better showing of riders and spectators. It looked like we were the only ones there who didn't work for Centurion.
Old    surfdad            08-27-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
Back to our regularly scheduled programming. :-) In case any of you thought I was a professional photographer, I'll put that question to bed - Vince, Todd we need so GOOD photo's please! :-)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-27-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
I still think I was a pretty standout rider :-) I mean c'mon, this isn't the mark of a champion? Who else would take a nap but a world champion competitor!! :-)

Upload
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-27-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
We are uploading into the galleries now, we have a couple thousand we are trying to sort out as well as prep the awards ceremony video.

Working as fast as we can right now. Will post pics soon!

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-27-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
More:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-27-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
Todd and I are uploading pics as we speak. :-) Well over a thousand pics from the weekend.

All I can say is that this was our first time at an event of this magnitude. I was incredibly happy to have been able to participate in the Amateur's event and loved that it gave Todd and I an opportunity to ride with a bunch of great people.

The Open's was phenomenal, being able to watch the likes of Drew, Chase, James...Jessica, Bri, Jen...and countless others just throw down was well...words can't describe it for me. :-)

I have to thank all the sponsors...all the people for for making it a fun time.

Jerry, I know I have told you this...but your board rocks man!!! Thanks so much for takin' pics with me and my board. :-) That definitely made the trip special for me. And to everyone else...I can't name all the names just know that everyone I met out there you just really helped us turn a trip that started as a nightmare into a once in a lifetime experience. HECK, we even rode with Drew..."Lance Armstrong"... in our flight out...

Load more pics...

(Message edited by hgaugh on August 27, 2007)
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-27-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
Heidi, are you uploading pics to this site or to another site?
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-27-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
Roy -

All the pictures and videos taken by us will be available at wakeoutlaws.com. The galleries are accessible to all wakeoutlaws.com members who have signed up for the free forum membership.

We hope to have the last images complete before 4:00 central, then all the Worlds media we took will be available.

We are waiting to hear from Kayce right now on all the placing competitors full names and we'll be posting the awards ceremony video in it's entirety.

Also, once they are uploaded if people find pics they like from the competition, just ping us and we can provide the high-res NON-watermarked image of them or their riders.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
Heidi, thanks for the info. Can't wait to see the pictures. I've done a lot of the photography/filming for surf events in the midwest so I know how much work is involved.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-27-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
Great wake behind those boats
Upload
Old     (radrider)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-27-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
RE: dfizzle15 -- ""We drove a ways to check it out, and we were definately disappointed. It doesn't seem like the event was advertised or promoted. One rider stood out and it was Drew (Centurion Rider). I just thought there would have been a better showing of riders and spectators. It looked like we were the only ones there who didn't work for Centurion.""

Fizzle, how far did you drive? We flew from Florida specifically for this event because Boardstock couldn't get their act together. And we're incredibly thankful for Centurion (& others) stepping up and taking the reigns to still make the Worlds happen this year. I still can't get a straight answer from Boardstock officials if their event will be held or not this year based on water levels and let's not even talk about how long it took them to announce a location. Some people have to book plane tickets & hotels ahead of time, not everybody can drive.

As for the size of this event, it wasn't Boardstock but then it wasn't supposed to be and for only 1 sport being involved I'd say it had a very solid turnout of nearly 80 competitors plus spectators. I can't say much about the local advertising but the word spread plenty fast through the wakesurfing community thanks to forums like these and the WWSC website. Plus, how many wakesurfers are there in Merced?? Marketing & Advertising is all about reaching your target market and reaching the most targets per dollar. I believe there was a local Merced news crew interviewing riders and reps on Friday to let locals know about the event but Centurion's time and money was well spent gathering riders and sponsors involved in the sport and making WWSC'07 happen.

I'm sure everyone would like to see a much larger turnout next year but for that to happen we all need to go out and spread the word ourselves & help the sport grow as a whole... not sit here (on a wakesurf message board, nonetheless) and criticize the people who are supporting the sport and organizing events. That's like trying to save the rain forests by chopping down more trees?? If you want a better event, then put one together yourself or jump in and help the people who are working on them now.

And as for only 1 rider standing out, i bet there are 4 other Men's Open finalists who would strongly disagree with you, plus 5 Women's Open finalists. Not to mention the Mens Amateur Surf & Skim, Women's Amateur, Kids & Masters Mens & Women's divisions who all rode very well. Not everybody can ride like Drew but the sport needs every participant it can get to keep growing. If it were only Drew there wouldn't even be a competition or any board/product/boat sales. His runs were pretty phenomenal though. I liked the Fire Hydrant 360 the best!!
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-27-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
Hey Jon;
Well said. It would have been nice to see more company sponcers in attendance, but I don't know what the logistics involved were. I do know that the county was a hand full to deal with. the security in attendance was pretty amazing. I think that all the sheriff deputies in the county were there (even the police dogs).

P.S. Congrats to you, and Jaq for your great placings. I enjoyed meeting both of you, and riding with you guys in Fridays practice. If your ever on the Left Coast again, hit me up. We will treat you guys to some riding in Discovery Bay.
Old     (dfizzle15)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-27-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
I guess my memory is incorrect. I remember the first annual event being packed to the gills and people being turned away. I also seem to remember pro wake boarders entering the event. People will come to an event when they see the big name riders. I do hope the future events are better. Don't get me wrong, I definately want to see the sport grow. I was just stating what I saw. Even some of the event organizers were not thrilled with the turn out. Sorry to have offended anyone, just stating fact.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-27-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
Perhaps one of the reasons that some of the cross over wake boarders were not there was that there was a huge "worlds" event for them in Reno the same week end. Bad planning? maybe.
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-27-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
WOW!!!

That took so much more time than expected. Just over 11 hours and we were WAAAY off in our estimate and only partially sorted.

IF ANYONE, WANTS PICS - and not the contest-drama and all the spam, just good-ol wakesurfing pics and fun at the 2007 World Championship, please take time to check out our gallery.

They are all from shore, stage boat and dock - none from the tow boat.

We are working diligently to get DOWN from 1400 (some dup's), but there are GREAT SEQUENCE(s), SICK SHOTS, and just a great capture from the spectator perspective, check it out.

You will need the (free) wakeoutlaws.com membership to see them all.

This link will take you there with an immediate error if you are not a member

Home Page just click on forums, the galleries

Worlds Forum Thread - Must be signed in

wakeoutlaws.com the source for wakesurfing

Thank you to all that helped pay for this, worked hard to put it on and coordinate and really produce a great wakesurf experience. Thank you.

NOTE: We are still pending each division from Kayce to publish our video of the award ceremony, Drew's speech, Dominic's Coors light sponsorship justification and all the antics and celebration of the Worlds. Congrats all and Thank you!
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-27-2007, 9:07 PM Reply   
FUN TIMES, THANKS INLAND
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-27-2007, 9:15 PM Reply   
We would like to thanks every one that was involved and helped out. the-gang @ inland

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-27-2007, 9:24 PM Reply   
Favorite quote from the commentator: "What color board do you want? Hey, what cookies do you like?"
Old     (radrider)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-27-2007, 9:31 PM Reply   
Fizzle, that makes more sense. 1st one just sounded like you were blasting the event for the turnout not being 40k people like boardstock has done in the past. This was my 1st worlds event and we had a blast, met some of the coolest/nicest people, got plenty of ride time on Thursday & Friday before the event and enjoyed the solid competition in almost every division... including some surprise up-starts that made podium appearances (Jaq Croce - 2nd in World's Women's Open in only her 2nd competition, Dominic Legace from Canada - placed 3rd Men's Open, Scott Culp - 2nd Men's Masters in his 1st ever compeition, etc). The usual suspects were up there as well and very well deserved to be with the level of riding they presented this weekend. All-in-all, i'd love to see 100x the crowd at next year's event so i'm going to tell everyone i know whose ever been a lake or the ocean about it and see if we can't bring a plane-load over from the east coast in '08.

Btw, don't forget to bring the Goo-Gone next year kids.
Old     (bluto)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-27-2007, 9:48 PM Reply   
Would have been nice to have the crowds that Boardstock has had in the past. The problem is that I understand from posts elsewere that Boardstock has lost the ability to have the events at any previous locations because of a variety of issues including underage drinking and general rowdiness. The only location willing to allow the event could not be used for wakesurfing because the water is not deep enough to provide the wake necessary for these world class riders. Maybe the complaints should be directed at the spectators at prior Boardstock events not at this event.
Old     (dubguy72)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2007, 9:50 PM Reply   
there will be only demos of wakesurfing at board stock if even that. they pulled the event from there because of the water depht being a major concern........ it is really shallow at clearlake dang near un rideable even for wakeboarders
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       08-27-2007, 10:15 PM Reply   
The future of wakesurfing I will post more photos later surf on Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by valsurfer on August 27, 2007)

(Message edited by valsurfer on August 27, 2007)
Old     (radrider)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-27-2007, 10:28 PM Reply   
that kid on inland out of ft lauderdale (area) has mad talent. i hope he keeps riding and keeping competitors on their toes.
Old     (alecia_lts)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-28-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
jon-

thanks! keenan has been training so hard down here with me! we are stoked to have him on inland!!!!!
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-28-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
Ditto Jon...Alecia, you guys must be proud because he sure ripped it up out there.

We arrived mid-way thru the kids comp on Saturday due to our flight mis-hap. He was up at the time and just really really laid it down.
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       08-28-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
Hi everyone i am also posting more photos on my website feel free to check it out http://www.pierceyphotography.com Upload
Old     (radrider)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-28-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
alecia --- THANK YOU!!! i kept naming his pictures "grom" cause i couldn't find his real name anywhere. i'm getting the rest of our pictures/vids together tonight then i'll throw a link up to everything maybe tonight.
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-28-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
More pics...as I am cleaning up our gallery I thought I might share some more of the highlights:

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-28-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
And a few more...
Upload

Upload

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-28-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
Wakechick, 113 pages of thumbs over at wakeoutlaws? That's crazy - you and Todd must have had never stopped taking pictures! :-) Thanks for all the great photos.

However, I need an index to ME! :-) I almost had to take a nap around page 78!!! :-)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-28-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
Jeff,
You are always looking for an excuse to nap. Photo evidence above.
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-28-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
HAHAHA, I'm still removing dups...so possibly I will get it down to 100 pages. hehehehe Also, I am removing crash sequences...so we ALL look as good as the pros. ;)

JK, actually I am going to post a few more to this site to of some more highlights of the ladies and some more of the mens.

Believe it or not, we actually do not have ALL of the pics loaded. AND, I am editing the video tonight.
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-28-2007, 5:30 PM Reply   
Here are 2 of Chase and James
Upload
Upload
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-28-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
I know im REALLY late on this, but if i was James, i would be smiling too
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-28-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
Here's some of ladies...

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (radrider)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-29-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
I like how the pix go in order there for the Women's Open Finalists...

1st place Bri Chmel, 2nd place Jaqualine "JaqAttak" Croce, & 3rd place Jessica Oswald.
Old     (chickadee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-04-2007, 9:30 PM Reply   
Just finished up a one and one interview with Drew Danielo, check it out HERE

(Message edited by chickadee on September 04, 2007)
Old     (radrider)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-07-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
More pix here:
WWSC '07http://picasaweb.google.com/jmh.llc/200708242526WWSC07