Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-16-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
Ive never been to a surfing contest before and am wondering who all from WW is making the trek? No publicity at all about it here (Merced, Fresno area).
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-16-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
I am.
Old    surfdad            08-16-2007, 6:37 PM Reply   
Judy, James and I will be there too! Old men Rule! :-)

Dennis, are you bringing that 3? :-)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-16-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
Yea I'm bringing it. Not sure who will get to use it though. Old men surely rule!!
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-16-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
the boys and girls from Inland will be coming out, jeff, lance, mark, trenton, kit, sean, chass, alecia and evan.
see you there. old men do drool! oh, I ment rule.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-16-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
I have a variation on the Kokopelli figure for all of the "Old Men".
Upload
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-16-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
Jeff P,
That's pretty harsh talk from one of us old folks. LOL Looking forward to seeing you guys and gals.
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-16-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
since its in the middle of school now its not lookin so good.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-17-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
Like you Kevin, I've never been. I will be there. I'm looking forward to it. It's only like a 5 minute drive from my house. How could I miss that. What day(s) is everyone going? I'll be there on Saturday. Is anybody going to have a booth setup or anything? I'd like to check out some boards up close. Especially the Inland Surfer stuff. Other stuff too of course. I can't wait, should be a lot of fun.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-17-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
Tina, and I will be coming down with the Shred Stixx crew on Friday. We will be staying at the Marriott in Merced. I anyone else going to stay for the weekend vs. driving back and forth?

P.S. "Old Guys RULE"
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-17-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
Sorry, almost a double post.

(Message edited by leaks on August 17, 2007)
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-17-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
Greg most of everyone I've talked to thats staying the weekend is staying at the Marriott Courtyard. I'll be heading over there Friday afternoon when we get back from the lake and then all day Sunday.

Anyone looking to get some water time while in town let me know and we can head to the lake either before or after the events.

Whats the deal for evening festivities? Not a lot of options....
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-17-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
No plans for the evenings yet. I guess we'll have to play it as it goes. Any suggestions besides drinking in the parking lot?
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-17-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
In town there isnt that much more than nothing. Big Bubbas Bad BBQ is probably the loudest joint and has their mechanical bull, outside seating, shooting gallery for kids and a Bar http://www.bigbubbasbadbbq.com/RestaurantMerced.htm If you want to go some place a bit further up the road you have La Hacienda 2 that has good bar, excellent restaurant as well. Its on north G street and El Portal (3355 N. G Street
Merced, CA 95340) . You also have places like Applebee’s which is at 1734 W. Olive Ave.
Merced, CA 95348. Cool Hand Luke's is OK http://www.coolhandlukes.com/home.html
I don’t really get out much since my extra time is spend playing with our kids. If you don’t want to stray too far away from the hotels then cruise over to Main street and the main square, there are a hand full of bars, Cold Stone, Starbucks etc...just be carefull ...hope it helps.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-19-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
Bubbas is good, Lukes is good. I would stay away from Applebee's. I never go there anymore. The service is horrible and the food is equally horrible. Just my .02.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-19-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
The World Wakesurfing Championship website has very limited information. No contact info or schedule. Does anybody know if there is a youth division and who to contact for more information.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-19-2007, 4:53 PM Reply   
AnT I agree with you on the Applebee's. Does anyone know if the lake will even be open to general boating Friday? A few of us are looking to go out real early for a few hours before things get going and would rather stick close by instead of 30 minutes away.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-19-2007, 9:02 PM Reply   
Roy by the looks of the reg. form they have a 15 and under. http://www.worldwakesurfingchampionships.com/downloads/registration.pdf
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-20-2007, 12:49 AM Reply   
who knows the dates of the contest?
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-20-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
Kevin,
Do you live in Merced? Or closeby? Just wondering. I'm in Atwater.

The dates are this Friday - Sunday.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
Does anybody know what day the 15 and under will be held?
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-20-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
AnT, yes I do live in Merced between St. Patric Church and Cruchshank middle school. Dude you are just up the road then. We should get out to the lake sometime. We are heading out early Friday morning before everyone starts showing up at Yosemite, if your interested you should join us.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-20-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
Just got off the phone with Merced Parks and Rec. the lake is only going to be partially reserved for the contest so boaters are still able to have access to the lake through the weekend. But apparently she said the only days of competition is Saturday and Sunday but they are trying to get some clarification on it from the organizers. I just left a message at Centurion to find out when certain divisions will be held etc. I'll let you all know if I get anything.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-20-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
Kevin,

PM sent.

AnT
Old     (dubguy72)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-20-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
wait there are people besides me and my girl that wake surf in merced???????? crazy yes i will be there
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       08-20-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
I live in Atwater also and we Surf at Lake Don Pedro about once a week. Me Daryl & Alec who i ride with R all Competing at the Worlds .I also will be the Photographer working 4 Centurion boats. It couldnt get any better living 10 miles away from the lake. And yes your photos will look better if u bribe me with beer just kidding

(Message edited by valsurfer on August 20, 2007)

Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-20-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
Nashville,

You're a long way from home there bud.

Man, sure is alot of people running around Atwater, Merced on here. I think we all need to get together.

Vince,
I'll buy you a beer. But, only if you promise NOT to take my photo.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-20-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   
Heck ya Vince. Two mile drive and Im in the water, got to love those last minute leaps to the lake.

Good Idea AnT, count me in.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-21-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
BY the way the lakes water temp is around 65 +/-.
Old     (alecia_lts)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-21-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
kevin-

your kidding with those water temps right.....the warm florida water temps are going to kill me out there!
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-21-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
No lie. The lake is filled with the bottom water from Lake McSwain and before that from Lake McClure so it never has a chance to warm up. If its not windy then it should be ok but we have had a bit of a breeze for the past 6 months! Out look looks like 102 though for the weekend so probably not too much wind. Ya bring a skin and some wool socks!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-21-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
I definetly agree! OLD GUYS RULE!!!
Old     (dubguy72)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-22-2007, 9:42 PM Reply   
very long way from home i am driving the pickup boat sat and sun hope to see everyone there
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-22-2007, 10:38 PM Reply   
Went out to the lake today and the water is warming up it wasnt too bad especially since the air temp was about 100 and no wind. But it did suck having 2 Enzo's doing circles around the lake and Mike Brendel trying to get his Tomcat dialed in, pretty sweet looking though all black with tinted glass, looked sharp. Safe trips to you all.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-28-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
so the worlds happend and was told it was truley a great time.my team rider told me the wake was incredible and the way the contest was run was flawless,just wanted to thank centurion,awsa(surfdad),jerry price(grandfather of our sport),and all the others for your awesome hospitality and makin my rider feel right at home.we cant wait for the next one,see ya there.
Old    surfdad            08-28-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
Hey Billy, thanks for the kudos - interesting shape your man brought out. Hope to see more of ASC boards in this area.