Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (alecia_lts)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
who's going? im flying out to boardstock/surf worlds on the 16th with a few friends and just wondering who all will be there.
Old    4sher            07-14-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
Inland Surfer will be bringing about 8 of us from Seattle. Should be a blast!
Old     (alecia_lts)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
right on! the Lavelle Train Station Crew will be there!
Old     (tnwakechick)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-14-2006, 6:55 PM Reply   
I wouldn't miss it for the world! BoardStock... HERE WE COME!!!
Old    surfdad            07-15-2006, 5:10 AM Reply   
Yeah, I'll be at the World Wakesurfing Championships, along with my family. Having at least a modicum of sensibility and the aforementioned family I'll be skipping the Boardstock nonsense.

I know there are folks like me who would rather pass on loud, obnoxious, druken party goers. Or not subject their wives and younger children to scantily clad women hawking all sort of wares. :-)The folks putting on the Amateur divisions of the World Wakesurfing Championships have done a great job of separating that from the rest of Boardstock. The Amateur division of the World's IS family friendly.

The am's go off on Thursday, well before the first beer garden is open or bikini contest staged.

I think because it ISN'T part of the running of Boardstock formal, the Amateur part of the World's goes off very smoothly. It's well organized and runs pretty much on schedule. For those of you remembering the scheduling confusion of the last contest held in Stockton, that is all gone, because it's strictly the wakesurfing folks.

Most of the athletes that are present and competing in the Men's open are very professional and approchable. Drew Danielo, sponsored by Centurion and Phase 5 is Christian based "straight edge" and one of the most likeable figures in the sport today. Jaime (pronounced Hi Me) Lovett is representing incredibly well and is a pleasure to be around.

The venue is very nice. Food is available at the hotel and there is a snack bar by the pool that should be close to where the contest is staged.

It is a BIG contest - I think around 70 riders, so that's an all day event. There is fishing along the water's edge and plenty of bluegill hiding under the docks by the hotel - #12 hook and red worms are the order of the day. :-) Bait shop is at the far end of the complex.

As for the contest itself, last year Centurion provided two boats. One set up for regular and the other for goofy. They discussed a reverse rotating prop for the starboard weighted boat. For all intents and purposes, it appeared to be identical to the port side weighted boat. You'll be pleased with the wake, regardless of the side you ride on.

LAST YEAR the best place to watch was up on the terrace behind the pool, you get a great view of the entire course.

I hear most of the manufacturers will be present - not sure if they will actually be set up on Thursday, but you can expect to find most of the major players around. These folks are very helpful and are more than willing to discuss your needs in board selection.

Overall a great contest, some of the best skimstyle and surfstyle riders around will compete and if you are concerned about the atmosphere because you have a family, not to worry about the Amateur part of the contest.