Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-13-2007, 1:23 PM Reply   
Ok, get ready to cringe, but I was given a Phase 5 board that had been previously RUN OVER by a car in someone's garage.

The board looks 100% salvagable to me, but I'm not sure what the best way to go about fixing it is.

I'm planning on using Marine tex, which I've used in the past with good results, and I'm not to worried about appearances.

The underside just looks like a quick sand and fill with the Marine Tex, then place Waxed paper to smooth it out.

I'm having a problem figuring out how to repair the topside, where the foam seems to have seperated a bit...

I'm not sure if I should just carefully cut off all the old stuff and put a blob of Marine Tex on there and smooth it out, or just work around what's already there.

Being that it's just the very nose that was damaged, This shouldn't affect the riding much, I hope...

Any ideas? Pointers?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-13-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
I'm not sure what Marine Tex is, but you might try Solarez as well. http://solarez.com/index.html
a resin that hardens when exposed to the sun. I've used with with much success on many surfboards...
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-13-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
Matt:

Marine Tex is basically resin with loads of microbaloons(small fiberglass balls) in it. It's typically white. I've used Solarez before and had good results as well.

I'm pretty sure of the usage of either project, just more confused about the technique due to how the break occurred.

Thanks again

eric
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-13-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
If it were my board to repair I'd cut it back and use 2 layers of 4oz. E-glass for the top repair (looks like the board originally has 3 layers). Doing the whole thing with Marine Tex will add a lot of unneeded weight and compromise strength at the same time