Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (jbryson)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-22-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
Hello all... This is my first time posting on Wakeworld so I appreciate your comments in advance. I used to be an avid wakeboarder and barefooter, but after a couple of kids I sort of got sidetracked. Now that they are a bit older, we are starting to consider another boat and of course it has to be an inboard!! I just visited a local Malibu dealer this week and it turns out they are getting rid of Malibu to become an exclusive Cobalt dealer. The good news to this is that they have one brand new 2006 VLX left on the floor. I spoke to the owner and he really wants it gone as he is getting hit with the interest. The boat is your typically loaded VLX and is black/grey with white hull, so the colors are pretty common. It has the monsoon motor and a tandem axle trailer. They have the boat marked down to 45k but the owner told me point blank that he would take 42k to get rid of it. Then as I was leaving, he told me that if I wasn't comfortable with the 42k to make him an offer and if it was reasonable he wouldn't refuse. So this tells me the boat may be able to be purchased for around 40k, maybe less? I haven't done any research as this is the first dealer I have visited, but does this appear to be a fair deal on a leftover 2006 model? I am sure there are many left over 2006's out there, but this seems pretty fair to me.

Thanks!

Jon Bryson
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-22-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
sheeeeit...jump on that....!
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-22-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
YUP
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-22-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
I don't want to be a party pooper, but that seems suspiciously low!
Old     (jbryson)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-22-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
I can say that the boat has sat outside the entire time, it is in major need of a cleaning and detail job. In fact I noticed water puttled in the back of the rear storage compartments and it has more than likely been there a while! The trailer looks really cheap as well, can't remember the maker but is isn't anything fancy (it does have disk brakes though). You can tell that the dealer definitely lost interest in Malibu as he treated this boat like a red-headed step-child... However it is nothing a little elbow grease can't fix...
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-22-2007, 4:16 PM Reply   
yeah it does, but if it's all good...then that's the steal of the century!
Old     (jbryson)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-22-2007, 4:20 PM Reply   
By the way, when I said the dealer had one left on the "floor", I didn't mean literal "floor."
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-22-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
Which dealer... If you don't buy it I will .....
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-22-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
Wow! post pics.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-22-2007, 5:12 PM Reply   
Sounds like a dealer demo to me, does it have any hours at all on it? Anyway you look at it it's a good deal. Even if you get it for 42k that's one hell of a deal. Better jump on it!
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-22-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
I agree with Dave....suspiciously low.

But if this is legit, you better snag it. If you don't you'd be kicking your own butt in a few months.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-22-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
No kidding, with your elbow grease you can sell it for $50K. If you pass it up tell him I can have him a check for $40K Monday; I don't want him to incur any more interest.

Do dealers really leave boats outside without a cover on them?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-22-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
You have heard enough about the price. Obviously, if it is "just one of those unbelievable deals" GOOD FOR YOU and snag it up. But I would be in tomorrow morning to make sure someone doesn't do it before you. Put down a deposit, then go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Guess I did have a comment....

But what I really wanted to say is this... NOTHING better for quality family time than a boat. Having that boat be a Malibu VLX makes things even a little bit better.

Best of luck in your boat search and welcome to WakeWorld.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-22-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
I'm a MasterCraft guy, and I would not pass a deal up like that. Jump On It, if it's legit...
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-22-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
Too good to be true.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-22-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
too late. I just Bought it!!!!!!
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-22-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
Just kidden!!!!!

But I will buy it right now if this guy doesnt jump on it!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-22-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
yeah, it is good you did not post where you are located at in your profile, cause i would have already called the dealer and put a deposit on that bad boy..... you better run and buy that now that everyone knows of the price. that sounds too good to be true to me as well unless it has hours and really is beat up... good luck
Old     (john)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-23-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
Do your homework and do it quick. Inspect it, test drive it, and buy it.
I've run across this type of circumstances a couple times (dealer losing a brand franchise) and the deals that could be had on the last few remaining boats were unbelievable.
Buy it before somebody, like another dealer, rats him out to Malibu for selling so far below MSRP and they send a truck over to move the inventory to another dealer.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-23-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
Take it out and run it! If everything works, you can take it to a detail shop and have it cleaned and you have a bargain! I have 06 for sale at $48k, so there you are!