Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-01-2015, 8:01 PM Reply   
Hey guys. I have been riding a 2013 Ronix One for a little while now and while I love the way it edges and is locked in but also forgiving I just can't get used to the pop off the wake. When I get it right its awesome but when I hit the wake wrong it just seems to throw me resulting in some pretty big crashes. Looking for something more consistent but still with good pop as I don't ride on the biggest wake which is why I have narrowed it down to these two boards.

From what I have been able to find the Franchise will have more pop than the Tribute but is also looser on the water.

Just wondering how they ride compared to each other and also how they ride in comparison to the One. Also any other boards that may be worth checking out too.

I'm 5'11 and 180, pretty much a beginner and only ride boat
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       01-02-2015, 1:16 AM Reply   
Which core is you One board (Modello, ATR, TimeBomb)? That can have an effect on the way the board is popping and as a beginner is generally a lot of board to be working with, and size can also matter. Both the Franchise and Tribute are continuous rocker boards where your One is three stage. They'll generally carry more speed and have a more consistent pop than your One, but will sacrifice amplitude, meaning that consistent pop you're getting will not be as vertical as your One board. Neither are bad, I'd say the Franchise is a step up from the Tribute as far as board tech goes. The Tribute has molded fins that will reduce your ability to tweak the way it locks down when edging.

Those are both boards that sound like they'll suit you better. Comparably, the new Hyperlite Baseline and the Ronix District have a bit of a hybrid rocker where they edge like a continuous board but pop more like a 3-stage. It's all about the way you ride and finding a happy medium between speed, consistency and pop. Takes time as well. Size wise you should be looking 138-142 at 180lbs.

As always with board recommendations, if you can demo any boards, it helps because you can eliminate shapes you don't like and get a feel for shapes that you do like. DEMO DEMO DEMO!

Last edited by Jmaxymek; 01-02-2015 at 1:22 AM. Reason: More
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-02-2015, 10:52 AM Reply   
this might help
Attached Images

Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-02-2015, 1:38 PM Reply   
Cheers guys. I am riding a 142 Modello. I have been wakeboarding for about 1.5 years but call myself a beginner cos I really only have heelside w2w with some grabs and a 180 down, still haven't got toeside w2w. I understand the difference between 3 stage and continuous, I came off a LF Omega which is a hybrid 3 stage and got a really good deal on the One so I took it. The ride of the One was better, tracked a lot better than the Omega, handled rough water better and landed softer but I preferred the trajectory the Omega gave me

I have seen that graph and was kind of leaning towards the Tribute because I like the surfy feel when neutral but was after some real world comparisons between the two
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-03-2015, 4:17 AM Reply   
I think you'd be happy with either board. I liked the tribute a lot. If you like a really loose and forgiving board, try that out. The franchise does have a little more pop but it's not much. The tribute is more forgiving with the really soft rail between your feet and it has a nice big spine down the center that makes landings really nice. It's the best landing board I've ever rode. I only rode it with the center fin once. If you like a board that tracks locked in a little then you can do that but I liked it a lot better without the center fin. Franchise is a great board too. Just a little tighter feeling and the landings are not quite as soft.
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-03-2015, 6:37 PM Reply   
Hyperlite B-side 140
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-04-2015, 2:44 AM Reply   
Cheers guys, I was leaning towards the tribute and you confirmed it for me. Now just to get rid of the one