Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mro)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-28-2013, 5:30 PM Reply   
My in-laws just bought a place in this area. So it looks like I'll be towing my boat down there from Siberia in the winters. How are the freshwater lakes around there? How far would I have to drive to get to some decent lakes? Lots of choices or not so many within a 2 hour radius?
I know nothing of the area. I lived in Miami years ago, but that doesn't help any.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-28-2013, 7:10 PM Reply   
I used to live in Fort Myers and the fresh water options are abysmal, and amount to pretty much the river. PC has the Peace River, but I've never been on it. I imagine that the Peace River will be the best option.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-29-2013, 6:11 AM Reply   
Local knowledge is key. The Peace is ankle deep by the time you far enough up river to be in sweet water. Im sure there are some spots but I just dont know them.
here is a thought though. SW isnt battery acid. It salty water. The money and hassle of trailering a boat back and forth seems a waste. Scratch up 4-5K and buy a beater 2001 off Cragslist, add a zinc and flush it every time. Good to go.
My '78 Nautique throws an awesome wake for short money.
I prefer riding with sharks over riding with gators anyway. gators is sneaky critters.
The Port Charlotte and surrounding areas have some nice little back bays and dead end canals that will yield butter in any wind condition. Some angry fisherman too no doubt./
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-29-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
My Folks live there and it's all salt water, shallow fishing- no watersports unless you're on the gulf and that's iffy. Not a wakeboarder area at all. A nice flats boat and some good baitcasting rods- go get some snook.
Old     (mro)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-29-2013, 9:24 AM Reply   
Ouch. not sounding good. I knew there was nothing close in the fresh water department, I was just wondering how far the drive was to get to some. If its more than an hour and a half, I guess fishing wins.
Old     (yjwrangler95)      Join Date: Oct 2011       04-30-2013, 6:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mro View Post
Ouch. not sounding good. I knew there was nothing close in the fresh water department, I was just wondering how far the drive was to get to some. If its more than an hour and a half, I guess fishing wins.
I used to live in Naples, your best bet would be the intercoastal or there is always Okeechobee but it can be an ocean on a windy day.
Old     (Jts140)      Join Date: Nov 2012       04-30-2013, 1:33 PM Reply   
You have the caloosahatchee river in fort Myers that's is 30 minutes south of there, lot of people ski up river. Also a cable park in ft Myers (revolution).
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-30-2013, 6:38 PM Reply   
The cable park (Revolution) couldn't be more convenient. A quick ride down I75 to N Ft Myers and you are there.