Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-20-2012, 5:41 PM Reply   
So today has been quite eventful. We went out this morning and my fiance has recently learned to wakeboard and was really excited to keep progressing. I found a winner!! Anyways, she fell and when we came back to pick her up she had a huge gash in her head. And by huge i mean 2inch long gash and deep too. Just wondering if anyone has heard of people hitting their forhead/temple area on a board when falling? I havent heard of it before.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-20-2012, 5:45 PM Reply   
Ive heard it happen before, shell prob have a nice headache too. Forehead upper eye area.

I had a slalom ski cause 13 stitches in the back of my head back in 2000.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-20-2012, 5:50 PM Reply   
Yeah i know she wishes it were on the back of her head with the wedding 4 months away. I just love that i walk into the hospital and she's more pissed about not being able to wakeboard than she is about scaring.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-20-2012, 6:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
Yeah i know she wishes it were on the back of her head with the wedding 4 months away. I just love that i walk into the hospital and she's more pissed about not being able to wakeboard than she is about scaring.
Thats great that she has that attitude. The scar can be covered with makeup if there is one. The scar on my chin from a different accident is so minimal after treating the scar. Luckily it looks like it hasnt deterred from trying it again.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-20-2012, 6:10 PM Reply   
I have seen this happen. Happened to a buddy of mine. He wound up with a few stitches in his head.
Old     (jsmilez321)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-20-2012, 6:13 PM Reply   
Dude I had 8 stiches right on my hairline a year 1/2 ago.. Choppy water and brand new board behind a X45 equaled a disaster.. The event ruined my 4th of July weekend. Then two weeks ago busted my lip completely open... My board loves my face..
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-20-2012, 7:14 PM Reply   
Seen it as well, happened to a 5'6 girl on a 142 though, kind of thinking if she had been on a 134 it wouldmt have happened?
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       05-20-2012, 7:28 PM Reply   
I got 12 stitches in my forehead from a wakesurf board popping back out of the water after I fell. Then a few weeks later the same board flew out of the board rack and hit my buddy square in the forehead as well, he received about a dozen stitches too! He's got a pretty good scar from it, mine turned out fine. This was probably five or six years ago.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-20-2012, 7:46 PM Reply   
Happened to a buddy while I was on the boat. Ended up Woozie from the sight of blood and required a few stitches. His run was over haha
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-20-2012, 9:59 PM Reply   
my girlfriend (at the time) her sister was being pulled by me and she went for a toe side jump, scorpioned and her back foot came out. Board swung around and took a gouge out of the top of her head on her hair line... 6 staples later she was good as new!
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-21-2012, 5:44 AM Reply   
foot come out of boot on a wreck?
Old     (tke104)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-21-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
I was driving a girl who scorpioned so hard that she cracked the back of her head open, but the board didn't come off. It was pretty impressive, and it was the 2nd trip to the hospital that day.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       05-21-2012, 10:48 AM Reply   
Friend- Indy tantrum off the double up, cased the wake, and his chin buckled into his knees, knocked out 3 teeth and pretty much mangled his nose. For how often you hear people say "it's only water" it's a little ironic.
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-21-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
i had a slalom ski hit me right above the eye after a crash to give me 8 stitches, this was back when i was a kid......and my son got scorpioned to the back of his head when he was seven to get 6 stitches. He rode in a tournament 5 days later, with a helmet, and wears one til this day every time he rides.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-21-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
I've gotten smacked in the face a few times - all were years ago when I would release from bindings (one or both feet) ... hasn't happened to me since closed toes have come around
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-21-2012, 11:31 AM Reply   
This is another reason to wear a helmet when free riding. I have had it happen 3 times in my boat over the years. Board to the head injury and I have had the knees to they eye socket injury too. Flexible people!!
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-22-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
A lose board is a deadly board, tighten up them binding and wear proper size bindings as well.
Lets just face it, no pun intended, wakeboarding is inherently a dangerous sport, know your limitations
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-23-2012, 10:20 AM Reply   
The girl I was dating in college caught an edge and took a face plant and ended up slicing a thin cut all the way through her cheek. It was about and inch and half long. I am still not sure what caused the cut since the board was behind her.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-23-2012, 7:08 PM Reply   
Last summer I tried to go do a switch to normal frontside surface 180 and faceplanted in the transfer. Underwater, my board somehow how up high enough to hit me in the forehead, right below the hairline. I had to get 4 stitches. It happens. Helmets aren't a bad idea haha.
Old     (airbeast)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-23-2012, 10:53 PM Reply   
Hit myself in the head on one of my first backroll attempts a few years ago. Under rotated and the tail(right) hit me behind the left year. The board didn't even come off. Didn't realize I was that flexible.

Membrane from an egg fixed that right up. If you're not too worried about sterility, works great in place of stitches. We used to always have an egg on hand back in my hockey days in Russia.
Attached Images

Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-24-2012, 2:39 PM Reply   
Didn't quite cut hard enough when I was first learning backrolls and did the old knee to the chin. The blunt force cut my chin open and got me 4 stitches. I was itching to get back out, and so even though I was still a couple days shy of being okay to get it wet, I went riding behind a buddy's old 17' bayliner. No tower, just clipped in behind the boat and still managed all my inverts. I decided I would try for a 360, but came up short, caught my HS edge and came out of the boots. As i surfaced, the board caught a roller from the wake and hit me in the upper lip, going all the way through and giving me 7 stitches and some super glue.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-25-2012, 6:56 AM Reply   
Nice ... didnt intend this to start a horror story thread of boards and faces. But i guess this is more common than i thought. She got the steristrips off yesterday and the doc looks like he did a good job and as long as she keeps up with it she should have very little scaring.
Old     (jsmilez321)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-25-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
no sticjes on the lip 10 in the head
Attached Images

Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-25-2012, 11:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbeast View Post
Hit myself in the head on one of my first backroll attempts a few years ago. Under rotated and the tail(right) hit me behind the left year. The board didn't even come off. Didn't realize I was that flexible.

Membrane from an egg fixed that right up. If you're not too worried about sterility, works great in place of stitches. We used to always have an egg on hand back in my hockey days in Russia.
like a chicken egg?
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-28-2012, 10:47 AM Reply   
You are going to have to show us the the ol egg membrane trick.. Gotta love old school soviet era tough love medicine.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-01-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
my ex wife managed to crush her eye socket....somehow landed weird and her knee went straight for her eye. It didnt' look bad other than a black eye, went to the ER, it was broken...and by the next day you could tell the eye socket ws "floating" on her face......she obviously freaked. About 35k later , and 6 months, plastic surgeoun made her good as new.
Old     (wkbrdrchad)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-01-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
I've seen this happen bunch of times also, most often with people that are learning & catch a toeside edge and scorpion. Seems to always be above or near the eye of the lead foot. I've seen 2 right by the eye, two that were actually on the ear, and a forehead (all separate people & times). And I think with all except the forehead, the board stayed on.