Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-20-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
I scooped up a demo Ronix Bill from Daniel at M2 last week to ride at Wake Nation. The board looked pretty new, like it was ridden just a few times...HARD! It had a scratches and nicks and one good sized gouge that went down onto the edge of the board. Everything was cosmetic but I decided to fix the gouge and clean up the board and make it a little different.

I forgot to take pics of the gouge before I repaired it. Here's a couple pics of the repair and the board prior to Plasti Dip.

I got a bad can of Plasti Dip that I just could not get to spray evenly. I sanded it a little and prepped it for another coat or two. We are headed to the wake park today last minute so I decided to throw some boots on it and take it as is.

I have a pair of Ronix Relik's that I think will look pretty sweet on it but all I had with me today are these Kai open toe. We'll see how it holds up. The stuff is pretty durable but I don't have real high expectations and don't really care as it will get beat up anyway.

Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-20-2012, 8:59 AM Reply   
I'm interested to see how it holds up after a few runs through the park.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-20-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
It will definitely be challenged today. I'm a pretty novice rider (been riding for less than a year) and only been to the cable park a couple times. I hit my first slider box the last time I went and finally landed it after having wrecked virtually every way possible.

If anyone can screw this board up, it's me right now.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-20-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
very interested to see how it holds up. i have an 08 murray still, can't afford a new one right now, so that would be an awesome option to clean it up and maybe change the color or something so it'd be "new to me!" in appearance anyway!

where do you get plasti dip? is it like a spray paint can or what?
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-20-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
+1 please post some pics later I would like to do this to one of my old boards.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-20-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
Sippi: http://www.plastidip.com/ Most people buy the spray can version.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-20-2012, 11:28 AM Reply   
Cool, I am going to plasti-dip my chrome bumpers and ugly stock wheels on my tundra!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-20-2012, 11:42 AM Reply   
Try some bed liner
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-20-2012, 12:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
Try some bed liner
The Plasti Dip is cool because if you spray it right you can get a nice, smooth finish. What's also cool is that if you ever get tired of it you can just peel it off as if it were never there.

So far so good today. I've wrecked 3-4 times and the board pretty much looks the same.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-20-2012, 1:02 PM Reply   
if you can just peel it off you would think that it would peel off after riding. i mean the plasti dip has to stop at the edges right, seems like it would just peel right there. but i don't know i might have to try it anyway. did you sand your board first or can you just put it straight on there. My murray has the texture of being sanded anyway so it probably won't matter much on my board.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-20-2012, 1:09 PM Reply   
Just saw on the website they have a plasti dip "smoke" that's translucent. that would be cool for some boards, not really mine considering its just gray to begin with.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-20-2012, 2:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippi View Post
if you can just peel it off you would think that it would peel off after riding. i mean the plasti dip has to stop at the edges right, seems like it would just peel right there. but i don't know i might have to try it anyway. did you sand your board first or can you just put it straight on there. My murray has the texture of being sanded anyway so it probably won't matter much on my board.
It actually doesn't peel that easily. You can take your finger and rub hard on the edge and get it to start peeling but you have to really keep working it to get it to continue to peel. The first time I did it on the board, I didn't like the texture (I finally realized that you have to keep the can upright in order to get a smooth finish, so you need to hang the board on something). I peeled it all off in 1 piece but it took a lot of patience and about 45min.

I taped up to the lower part of all the edges and then sprayed it. I'll take some pics of the board later tonight. I essentially ended all 10-12 of my runs today with a crash on a box or rail. The board looks fine.

I actually bought some flat clear and planned on clearing the whole thing once I was done. I expected this to somewhat seal the edges. I still may once I lay down another cost of Plasti Dip. The nice thing about this stuff is that it bonds and blends to itself pretty well. If you have a problem with an edge you can just respray it.

Yes I sanded the board before spraying it. I just used a scotch brite pad. Make sure you clean it well before spraying.
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-20-2012, 3:05 PM Reply   
Someone say Plasti Dip?

Old     (STLBlues4)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-20-2012, 5:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmy79 View Post
Cool, I am going to plasti-dip my chrome bumpers and ugly stock wheels on my tundra!
I used plasti-dip on the silver parts of the bumpers on my FJ Cruiser, turned out great. It's been on there for a year now and no issues with it chipping or peeling, I spray it at the high pressure car washes and have no issues.
Old     (dizzlestoy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-18-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
Thinking of plasti dipping the boat.
What you think?
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-18-2012, 1:23 PM Reply   
Like just the graphic area or like 100% covered? I foresee friction issues with plastidip on the bottom of the hull.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-18-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
i plasti-dipped the grill and my wheels.

Old     (jcfox00)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-18-2012, 2:32 PM Reply   
I did my truck bumper and grill last week as well super easy to do.
Attached Images

Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-20-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
Did it add much weight to the board?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-20-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
hmmm....plastidip my Shredstixx Elevation!? that thing is like eggshells is the AZ heat.....might hit it with some translucent dip?
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-21-2012, 7:15 AM Reply   
Joe U - I like the way it turned out. I can't believe that is plasti dip actually. I may have to think about doing a few things with this stuff, it really looks nice. Easy to do I am assuming.

Joe with Truck - I am thinking about doing my truck grill did you take it off the truck to do that?
Old     (jcfox00)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-21-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
Nope just taped off the headlights, put some newspaper behind the grill to protect spraying the radiator...opened the hood. Even if you get some overspray on the paint or whaterver, just wait till it drys and rub it back and forth with your finger (kind of like, umm nevermind) until it comes off. Blacked out my emblems on the tailgate just for fun. Just wait till it drys and its super easy to peel back. Youtube has a lot of how to do it.
Attached Images

Old     (dizzlestoy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2012, 1:14 PM Reply   
I think im gonna dip the boat. Just not the bottom. You think i could do the sides?
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-21-2012, 1:24 PM Reply   
Don't see why not... "poor man's wrap". I wouldn't but id like to see someone else do it haha
Old     (dizzlestoy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2012, 1:35 PM Reply   
Ill post picks if I do it for sure. Wanna donate the funds since im the rat?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-21-2012, 1:40 PM Reply   
Scott R, the crappy thing about audi grills is that you have to take off the bumper cover to take off the grill. there are tutorials out there but i just didn't want to deal w/ it, so i got a local kid (audi enthusiast) to do it for me. but the painting process is super easy. just wash & dry thoroughly and apply 3-4 coats. the wheels i did myself. i did 1 wheel at a time. again, wash & dry thoroughly and apply 3-4 coats. don't hold the spray can too far from the surface or you'll get a bit of texture. keep it about 6 inches and you'll be fine. i think if i had a sprayer, i would've done my whole car already. haha!
Old     (jcfox00)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-21-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
Yes, do the boat! That would be sweet! Its only $5.98 a can and if you only do the sides, you could do your boat for like $20 or less depending on how much you use. Save $2980 on a wrap!
Old     (jcfox00)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-21-2012, 1:46 PM Reply   
Umali, Why did you even take off the grill? Any overspray just rubs right off...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-21-2012, 2:18 PM Reply   
taping off the radiator is almost impossible w/o having to take off the bumper cover, so might as well take the grill off.
Old     (jcfox00)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-21-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
Oh gotcha! Makes sense.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-22-2012, 8:12 AM Reply   
I have been a fan of plastidip for a while.

I've been thinking of doing the brushed grates on my Axis, but I'm worried how hard it would be to remove it from the mesh if I don't like it.

Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       05-22-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
Those are some sick examples. After a little searching I found this site that has a ton of examples for cars, so boats definitely sound like the next step...

http://www.dipyourcar.com/shop/page/38?shop_param=
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-22-2012, 7:37 PM Reply   
With all these ideas I want to dip my beach cruiser now.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       05-23-2012, 5:55 AM Reply   
After watching some of the videos I am thinking about doing my car wheels and emblems. It is pretty neat for sure.
Old     (dizzlestoy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2012, 12:56 PM Reply   
Just dipped my board. Went to www.plastidipped.com to order it.
Need 1 more can to cover up the black a little better.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-01-2012, 1:02 PM Reply   
I did some chrome 22"s and than black out the spokes. Worked like a champ. Sold the rims and peeled it right off.

Put 10 coats on my truck grille last year and it still looks great. Better than the powder coated I pay for.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2012, 8:40 PM Reply   
I wanted to bring this thread back to life real quick to show my grill, bumpers, and emblems plasti dipped. Man I love this stuff!!

Next up is the black headlight mod which I am leery of trying. I may even plasti dip my trailer rims and my stock truck rims.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-03-2013, 12:34 PM Reply   
Thought I might revive this one. I picked up a pair of last season's system bindings to put on my Phoenix Prject last week. As I was putting them on, my buddy called and told me he had put the exact same setup together. Having been sucked into the world of Plastidip lately, I gave it a shot on my Systems! First pic is after, second is before.
Attached Images

Old     (anketell3)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-16-2013, 7:59 AM Reply   
Im thinking about plasti dipping my board, I don't know really how to do it. Do you plasti dip the bottom of the board too or just the top and how many layers do you put on? Thank you for the help!
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-16-2013, 9:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by anketell3 View Post
Im thinking about plasti dipping my board, I don't know really how to do it. Do you plasti dip the bottom of the board too or just the top and how many layers do you put on? Thank you for the help!
Just the top. It would rub right off of the bottom. You would want to do at least 3 light coats. The more light coats you do, the more durable it will be. Make sure you clean the board well with alcohol, acetone or something similar.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-16-2013, 1:03 PM Reply   
Houstonshark are you coming up to spring round up this year?
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-02-2013, 5:25 AM Reply   
Hi, I'm thinking of plasti dipping my board to give it some new life and I want to do a blue/orange design with Plasti dip's Blaze colors. Would I be okay simply spraying the top blue with 3 coats, taping off the designs I want left blue, and then doing 3 coats of orange to finish
or will I need to do a white base coat first?
I'm actually really excited about this hahaha
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-02-2013, 6:50 AM Reply   
No need for white base coat. Just spray each coat really light and spray 4 or 5 coats minimum.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-19-2013, 10:12 AM Reply   
I just did my old cable board with the blaze colors Orange and blue! Honestly I would have done another coat of orange but I didn't want to go through the trouble of buying/waiting for shipping on another can.
Threw a quick video of it together.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-18-2014, 7:14 PM Reply   
Just got my 6 y/o son an old Super Squirt, it was pretty faded so decided to try this out.
Attached Images

Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-19-2014, 12:11 AM Reply   
Lekker!
Old     (NoNceNse)      Join Date: Nov 2013       05-20-2014, 3:54 PM Reply   
Heres my before and after dip on my grille and window trim.

Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-01-2014, 4:46 PM Reply   
Went ahead and dipped my old slingshot recoil. Sf giants themed....decided to try and see if the bottom will hold up seeing as how I probably won't be hitting the cable park much anymore these days.
Attached Images

Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-01-2014, 4:47 PM Reply   
Those are water drops on it btw not plastidip