Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (lukus)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-19-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
Has anyone fixed a slingshot board after a binding has ripped out the board inserts? This happened on a 2010 board (so no fast track) and while I have a new board I'd like to try to salvage the broken one to use at the cable.

Here's where I'm at so far:
Opened up and cleaned out the damaged area, reset the the inserts, filled with a JB Weld 2 part epoxy product made for use with wood, and sanded down.

I'm thinking about laying a thin layer of fiberglass over it but I'm not sure if it's really needed or if it would cause more issues. I've done a minimal amount of fiberglass work so I'm not very skilled at doing the work. The JB weld product is supposed to have a bond stronger than wood and be waterproof. Still, I have doubts that I wouldn't end up with a cone shaped blow out on the first digger .

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       04-19-2012, 8:28 AM Reply   
Do you have any pics? Did all of the screw inserts come out?
Old     (lukus)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-19-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
I have some but not on me. Someone posted one on another thread recently that looked exactly like mine. I think it was on a '09 or '10 recoil. I'd link to the thread but I can't find it.

The screw insert only came out at the attachment point towards the middle of the boad for one of the bindings (inner left boot attachment). The other 3 attacment points are not damaged. Wood was cracked and pulled up around 2 of the screw inserts at that spot. After opening up and cleaning up the area I had to reset both screw inserts
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-19-2012, 10:54 AM Reply   
This happened to me last year with my 2011 Recoil with the fastrack on BOTH boots. Slingshot was able to warranty mine but not before they completely sold out of 2011 boards. For the remaining 2 months of riding last season I did the following (kinda crude, and wont work for riding rails or cable):

I drilled holes completely through my board for each of the binding screws. I then put a bolt going up through the bottom, sticking out of the top of my deck. I put a washer on the bottom of my board so that the bolt wouldn't completely rip through the board when I was riding. Then I used the "nuts" that came with the 2011 Slingshots to screw down the boots. I know you have an older board so you dont have these nuts, but you could find the same thing (or similar) at Home Depot.

I never noticed the washers on the bottom of my board when I was riding behind the boat and they worked just fine for the rest of summer. You probably couldn't use them on rails cause then you would get hung up, and just be conscious when you are putting on your board so you don't gouge your swim platform. Unfortunately I dont have pictures.

Last edited by flydenrict; 04-19-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old    9Drozd            04-19-2012, 3:15 PM Reply   
If it was me, I would pull the insert completely out, fill it with this Then drill a hole all the way through the board, countersink the bottom, and use a flat tapered bolt.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-19-2012, 5:18 PM Reply   
IDK much about the slingshot construction, but I do know how much force is on those inserts. That said I would say the board is done, move on to the next one. You could as they say in snowboarding, "T-Bolt." the inserts back in but that would change the base of the board as it would go through the board. Seriously tho - I snapped an ankle once when a binding came of the board. One foot connected to the board is sketchy, its a HUGE lever attached your leg that just wants to snap a leg of blow a knee. do you really wanna risk it just to salvage the board???

Just my $.02
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-19-2012, 5:20 PM Reply   
T-Bolting a snowboard ho to.

http://www.lazyross.com/MEDIA/TBolt.pdf
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-19-2012, 8:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
T-Bolting a snowboard ho to.

http://www.lazyross.com/MEDIA/TBolt.pdf
Any body know where to get that style of t-nut?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-20-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
these are close would work better I would bet due to the shape.

http://www.proboardshop.com/bt1chnl1...cessories.html
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-20-2012, 6:41 AM Reply   
These are prolly better, plus they are 1/4-20 just like standard wake screws.

http://www.simsupply.com/p-62525-14-20-t-nut.aspx
Old     (Hovey313)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-20-2012, 7:05 PM Reply   
I'm always passing time at work looking at wake world, and have come to enjoy reading the forum, I came across this yesterday and felt I had to join just to reply to it.
I won't tell a man what he should or shouldn't do but I will tell y'all a quick story and allow you to decide for yourself.
June 2005- (not sure of the exact date) a normal weekday took off a little early to ride mid way through my set I catch an edge on a backside 180; tearing my left binding. Ending my set for the day. No Big Deal, I can fix them later. Got home a day or two later punched holes to relace them and Wala, good as new!
Sunday June 6th- got out on the water around noon, goofed off for a bit swam to cool off, stretched, put my board on and off I went. Warmed up a bit, got that feeling, you know the one that tells you to go big, cut in for a Raley, came down with my right foot still attached my left one loose. Didn't hit to hard, so I thought, then I realized something was wrong. Broken Femur! Emergency surgery!!! Seriously got a rod, some screws and a gnarly X-ray to prove it! It took a long time to get back and I'm still nowhere close, not that I was that good anyway. Maybe you can learn from someone else's pain maybe you won't, I just felt I should pass that on.
Old     (lukus)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-23-2012, 6:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovey313 View Post
I'm always passing time at work looking at wake world, and have come to enjoy reading the forum, I came across this yesterday and felt I had to join just to reply to it.
I won't tell a man what he should or shouldn't do but I will tell y'all a quick story and allow you to decide for yourself.
June 2005- (not sure of the exact date) a normal weekday took off a little early to ride mid way through my set I catch an edge on a backside 180; tearing my left binding. Ending my set for the day. No Big Deal, I can fix them later. Got home a day or two later punched holes to relace them and Wala, good as new!
Sunday June 6th- got out on the water around noon, goofed off for a bit swam to cool off, stretched, put my board on and off I went. Warmed up a bit, got that feeling, you know the one that tells you to go big, cut in for a Raley, came down with my right foot still attached my left one loose. Didn't hit to hard, so I thought, then I realized something was wrong. Broken Femur! Emergency surgery!!! Seriously got a rod, some screws and a gnarly X-ray to prove it! It took a long time to get back and I'm still nowhere close, not that I was that good anyway. Maybe you can learn from someone else's pain maybe you won't, I just felt I should pass that on.
Last year was the first year I rode relatively injury free (besides the nagging ankle tweek that lasted for 4 months). With my luck something like this would happen. After hearing a couple horror stories, I think I should probably not risk it. I like to avoid trips to the ER when I can!
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-23-2012, 6:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovey313 View Post
Moral of the story: just save up and buy a new board
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-23-2012, 8:00 AM Reply   
Yeah keep in mind, whenever you repair something instead of just replacing it, you're increasing the chance that something could break and injure yourself
Old    kx250frider617            04-23-2012, 8:26 AM Reply   
I broke my femur wakeboarding also. Ill tell you right now that paying full price for 5 brand new boards is way better than breaking a femur and being out for over 8 months. Just a warning, my doctor has noticed that broken femurs are getting more common in wakeboarding so I wouldn't chance it on fixing that board. You don't want to make it easier for something bad to happen.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-01-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
Please don't take this as insensitive to the people that got hurt or that I want to see you injured, but I'd dissagree slightly. No I haven't broken a bone from wakeboarding or from a DIY peice of equipment (yet) and I might be singing a different tune laid up all summer with a huge hospital bill. I've made my own pylon, t handle, and binding mounting system and they are working great. No I am not a certified engineer, but if you do things properly you can find your own solutions.

Charlie, do you mind elaborating on the way that you fixed your board and what went wrong?

The way that I drilled mine, I honestly felt that it was stronger than is was before. The fact that my bolts went all the way through my solid wood board and that I had a 2" washer on the bottom made it impossible for them to rip out on a crash (and I crashed plenty of times with them).

I'm seriously not trying to stir the pot with this, but just take my anecdotal success story in stride with these anecdotal horror stories.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-01-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
God I'm dumb. I jest reread your post and you clearly say that you're looking for a cable board. My DIY wont work on cable for the washers on the bottom. My bad.

I still stand by my statement though and would like to hear more about the ways to fix a baord that don't work.

I'd agree that you cant epoxy an insert back and maintain strength/safety. Sorr for the confusion.