Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-12-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
I bought the Faria Depth Finder with water and air temp with the transom mounted transducer and I'm reconsidering and changing to the "puck" style hull transducer. Anyone have any experience or opinions on either? I don't mind drilling into the hull I just don't like the look of the wiring being exposed.

Has anyone had any success mounting the transom transducer in the hull, if so what area works best (oh by the way boat is a '02 Sanger V210).
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-13-2012, 4:59 AM Reply   
All ducers are Airmar. You can do a clean job of the wiring.

For a though hull I would balance the PP through hull off the opposing side.

Here is the Airmar transom mount install guide:

http://airmartechnology.com/uploads/.../17-247-03.pdf
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       03-13-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   
Someone asked about the in-hull puck transducers over on malibucrew.com, and here is what I stated about my install:

I ended up mounting my puck under the transmission of my direct drive and have not had any issues with it.
I sanded the 'bumps' in the fiberglass smooth and did a trial run with silicone before permanently gluing it down with slow cure epoxy. It worked just fine, I came home and epoxied it in place.
If you go this route, here are a few things to consider:
1) Constant water and no air bubbles will give you your best and most accurate readings
2) when you are determining the location for the in-hull transducer, you want to locate it in a part of the hull that remains in the water, even at high speeds, i.e. towards the stern, near the keel/as close to the center line of the hull as possible.
3) Place the in hull transducer at least 2-3 feet after or just before anything that would cause turbulence in the water flow i.e. raw water pick-ups, paddle wheel sensors, thru hull ballast fittings, stakes. Even if you keep the transducer 2-3 behind or just ahead of these things, try to offset it as well so it isn't sending signals from the same linear plane.
4) Test your location before you permanently glue the transducer in place
5) When you first use silicone for testing and epoxy later on, make sure you don't just stick the transducer to the floor in a vertical direction. Get it in place, then work it around in a circular motion. This will help eliminate air bubbles in the adhesive, which, again, will cause poor/inaccurate readings
6) When you finally do epoxy the transducer in place, be sure to use a SLOW CURE epoxy (8-12hour) The fast cure epoxies create heat as part of the chemical reaction, which can damage the sensitive electronics inside the transducer.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-13-2012, 7:54 AM Reply   
Faria uses a sensor that only needs silicone to stick the cup to the hull. No drilling required, makes the instal easy. You can't run a transom mount inside the boat, they need either a solid surface or liquid to read through which is why most need to be epoxied to the hull.

Easy to hook everything up at the house and then take it to the lake and set the transducer on a ziploc bag filled with water to make sure you location will work. Then all you have to do is silicone it down and fill the cup. I ran my water temp sensor out an unused speedo pick up hole, and put the other one inside the vent in front of the window.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-13-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
I bought the Faria style that you mount inside the boat. I can't get it to read a decent signal. I am thinking I may look for the rear hull mount and go that route.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-13-2012, 2:07 PM Reply   
Try the ziploc bag trick, pull everything out you can so you have access to many possible spots. Mine went opposite side of the water intake as far forward as I could to get away from wash coming off the tracking fins. I have to pull the floor out to get to it, but in 30 years of boats it the only one I've had that reads all the time without fail at any speed.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       03-13-2012, 7:35 PM Reply   
I installed a Faria in-hull transducer and it is flawless...even at speed it never looses a reading....
Old     (MWG)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-20-2012, 6:12 AM Reply   
New guy here but to find the perfect location for the transducer use a wax ring from a toilet... tear it in 1/2 and knead it to work out any air bubbles, stick it on the transducer and stick in the bilge.. works great for determining the best location. I know some guys who have had it mounted like this for years.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-20-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
The toilet ring sounds like a good idea, thanks! I ended up returning the transom mount guage for the "in hull" transducer. Anyone found a the sweet spot on a Sanger V210 that minimizes wash and any other interference?