Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-15-2012, 5:38 PM Reply   
So at the LA boat show, I was talking to Skylon and found out about their new Vector series..........What do you all think of these.... Or what have you heard about them?

Brian I know your gunna read this! hahah
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-15-2012, 5:59 PM Reply   
I don't know much about the speakers, but I do know their customer Service sucks. I wouldn't buy anything from them. If I was going to drop that kind of money on a system, I'd go elsewhere. I really don't want to hijack the thread, but if you are thinking of doing business with, pm me and I'll tell you the story

Last edited by wakebrdr94; 03-15-2012 at 6:03 PM.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-15-2012, 6:01 PM Reply   
They look like an EXILE knock off to me
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-15-2012, 6:56 PM Reply   
I am planning on running them in my boat this year along with their new in boats. But knave yet to hear them.
Old     (SkylonBrian)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-15-2012, 9:05 PM Reply   
Dave,

I would like to apologize for any bad experience you may have had. I sent you a PM.

Brian
Skylon
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-16-2012, 6:14 AM Reply   
I've dealt with Skylon for a lot of items on the site and everything has always been great.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-16-2012, 6:29 AM Reply   
With the amazing product and customer service to back it up, it's really hard to beat wetsounds IMO. I've been on these boards for close to 10 years I think...I have never read or seen I bad review of the wetsounds product. And from personal experience, the guys who run wetsounds are top notch people who are still very passionate about what they do.
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-16-2012, 6:54 AM Reply   
There is always sombody that has to bring some other product in the topic.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-16-2012, 7:12 AM Reply   
They look really close if I was Brian I would be a little angry.It would have been nice to see skylon come up with an original design.Everyone knows how well the Ken Land knock offs went over
Attached Images

Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-16-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
Ha... Harold. They aren't knockoffs obviously- they are just a rebadged version of the same speakers and use the same brackets and hardware etc.- Exile, Samson, Skylon, it is all the same stuff. Ken Land counterfeits, he doesn't franchise- get it straight.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-16-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
The difference is Samson gives Exile credit for the speaker and Exile gives Samson credit for the clamp design it was a joint effort. If Exile is supplying the speaker and skylon just has their name on it why not just say so??
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       03-16-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
WRONG! They are not the same as Exile or Samson!. I had the chance to put my hands all over these and all I can say is CRAP! the paint was so thin you could see thru it. the clamps did NOT work. I mean the speaker would not attach to the tower portion at all. they would have to be sent back and rebuilt just to work as advertised. for the money you can do way better.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-16-2012, 1:13 PM Reply   
Oh boy - I can only say, that Exile nor Samson is involved with the Skylon speakers in any way shape or form. I have yet to see these on a boat, but if their clamps infringe our clamp design patent it will be unfortunate for al parties involved. I'll look into this..

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2012, 8:57 PM Reply   
well damn, my bad then. Maybe this is Ken Land territory. Those brackets look so similar on their website. So do the cans obviously. Flattery from Skylon I suppose Brian...
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-18-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
Their clamp looks like a direct copy of the Exile clamp.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-18-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
Thats what I'm saying they look like they were shipped out the back door of the same factory that builds the Exile stuff
Attached Images

Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-18-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
That overlapping compression clamp style was used by Wetsounds on the original Pro60. It has become wider and shallower with Exile, Memphis and now with the Skylon Vector. Even the latest Wetsounds collars are taking on a similar shorter profile only with more radius versus the harder edges.
JL Audio and Taco Marine used the swivel collar with the groove and insertion bolt a long time before any of the above.
Bullet HollowPoint first used the grill to finish off the flare of the horn.
JL Audio first placed the horizontal indexing down the sides of the pods.
Sampson was the first to put a 1/4" phone jack/plug in the middle of the collar but the phone jack has been in use in switchboards since perhaps the 1880s. Every electric guitar has had one since perhaps the 1950s.
At this stage of the tower speaker evolution show me a novel approach that hasn't been duplicated multiple times. If you are going to give credit for an original innovation you are going to have to go back a lot farther.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-18-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
Dave hate to bust your b*lls but you are always saying spend your money with the innovators the ones that have spent the cash to develop a unique product. Your post makes it seem like you think skylon copying EXILE'S design is OK. Whats your opinion of KRYPT copying the bullet speakers?? or better yet whats your opinion of KRYPT selling LED rings that are exactly the same as the EARMARK designed rings for less money??this Exile skylon thing seems like the same thing to me
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-18-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
Harold,
The similarities between the Skylon and 'multiple' other brands are certainly there...not just a singular brand. Many of these brands borrowed from the products that procceded them. It has been a very long time since I have seen true innovation and separation in a tower speaker. At this point it is the smaller refinements that distinquish the better products in construction quality and sound quality. And these refinements are not so obvious just looking at a photo. I'm not criticizing or defending Skylon. Frankly, I am wondering what Skylon is bringing to the table that many others have not already covered well at this late date. It has become a market rich with 'many' similar products. I just don't view it as a direct knock off of any particular brand like the attempts made by others that you mentioned. Just my opinion knowing a little history of the category.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-18-2012, 11:52 AM Reply   
Dave thanks for clarifying.It is still my opinion the skylon is a cheep copy of the exile XM9
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-18-2012, 12:04 PM Reply   
Brian whats your thoughts ??