Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       09-26-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
Like the title says I'm going to Disney World Dec. 1st for 10 days and I have negotiated a day trip to a cable park for myself. This will be my first ever pull from a cable and I will be hauling all kinds of junk down already. I have just a few questions for anyone who has experienced both parks...

1. Which park? Both are well within driving for a day trip. Costs are pretty much the same for cable pulls. McCormick's is just a bit further, but not bad. I seem to hear better things from McCormick's and I don't feel like it will be as crowded as OWC.

2. Take my gear or just rent? Again both parks are about the same price wise. If renting, the quality of gear makes a difference on where I go. I don't want to ride some junk and wad myself up ruining the rest of my vacation and next year's riding season.

3. I plan on going mid-week. Are there any issues with this in December? I didn't see and "winter" hours posted on either website.

Thanks for any input you can offer.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-26-2010, 7:07 PM Reply   
Well O-dub is fun, but because it pulls counter clockwise, it's less beneficial if you're regular footed. If you're regular, I'd recommend McCormicks, unless you are proficient at switch... But yeah, that's just me. And I'm weird.

Also, I've only been to o-dub... But their rental gear looked crappy (aka, very well used), I wasn't too sure about what rental gear was for sliders or not, but honestly, I'd recommend your own gear if you don't mind running the risk of weakening it to the point of it being easier to break.

Mid-Week december, both places should be relatively dead. I went mid week in december the year before last and it was astoundingly non-busy. I went mid week in March and it was also not busy at all. There was even a storm, and later on afterwards, I had a private session with two other people. It was sick. And lastly, usually cable parks have a closing time near what is usually sunset for that time period. The hours for OWC for winter are on the site somewhere, just keep looking.

Again, I don't know anything really about McCormicks, so I'm talking about my experiences at OWC.

Last edited by wakeboardern1; 09-26-2010 at 7:11 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-26-2010, 8:01 PM Reply   
i've been to both parks in april and mccormicks only in december mid week . no problem with crowds.water temps were in the 60's so i would recommend heater shirt. mccormicks has easier obstacles and is set up for regular footers. i'm goofy but had no trouble at mccormicks as i do okay switch.mccormicks had slingshot gear but i think they have switched to liquid force now. i rented the 1st trip and brought my own gear the second time.owc has a beginners side that has 2 small ramps on either side and a slalom course of buoys on the backside of the beginners side. it was fun. the advanced side i found more challanging and fun. both are great places to go and shouldn't be that crowded in december mid week.i didn't rent any gear at owc so i don't know what they rent.we stayed in clermont near disney so distance wise it's about the same either way.good luck with witchever you choose.
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-26-2010, 8:06 PM Reply   
I've been to both.. definitely enjoyed McCormick's more and I am right foot forward. It's your first time so you'll learn to turn it's going to be weird no matter which way for a little while. McCormick's is definitely more swimming so that could be something to think about in mid-December. I rode there in mid-March and we were still wearing full-suits.

No matter where you go you'll be fine renting. The stuff does take a beating but I'd say unless you have a board you're willing to beat up just bring your bindings and rent a board.

Have fun, cable's a different world but it is a lot of fun
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-26-2010, 9:47 PM Reply   
Our rental boards down here at mccormicks are 2010 Witness grinds with domain bindings, I suggest if you like your bindings just bring them and throw them on a rental board. I cannot say which is my favorite park because I obviously have a huge bias but hit up both if you can!
Either way have a fun trip...
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-27-2010, 5:50 AM Reply   
Why only pick one cable? Hit up both OWC and McCormicks and if you can get it in, slide over to the Projects and catch a pull on the 2.0. If you're man enough, you can do all three in the same day.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-27-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
McCormicks. And if you're staying by Disney, it may even be an easier drive
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-27-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
I've go to OWC all the time, but have never been to McCormicks. The lines are not a problem because they have two cables. If I was left foot forward I'd probably go to McCormicks, and right foot OWC. The advanced cable is a smaller lake and the walk back to the dock is the easiest of any cable I've ridden. (Revolution, Rixen, TSR, and OWC are the cables I've visited)
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       09-27-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies so far guys... I was already leaning more towards McCormick's and I think that is where I will go. I am left foot forward, but ride almost as good switch stance so I don't think that will be a real issue. I would like to hit up multiple parks, but once I get to a cable I would rather spend as much time there as possible instead of driving all over the world since I only have one day of freedom from Mickey.

Again, thanks for the help and I will be seeing you in December Jon D.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-27-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
McCormicks has a better choice of rails and is more fun imo.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-27-2010, 5:29 PM Reply   
Everytime I've been by OWC the water is rough, is that typical?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
to get there you go west on i4 and get off on exit 10 take a right at exit go through stop light and take a right on first road past the fruit stand go through either one or two stop signs and its on your left. good luck and have fun. the witness is a great board if you dont bring your own.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-28-2010, 6:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
to get there you go west on i4 and get off on exit 10 take a right at exit go through stop light and take a right on first road past the fruit stand go through either one or two stop signs and its on your left. good luck and have fun. the witness is a great board if you dont bring your own.
You drove past it
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-28-2010, 6:49 AM Reply   
i said one or two stop signs not three or four. lol
Old     (woawake)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-29-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
do both! There different but both awesome!