Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-22-2010, 3:26 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 Mecruiser 350 MAG that's running rough. It feel's like it's running on seven cylinders and won't plain out when loaded down. The miss is from idle all the way up through the RPM range.

The problem started last winter but would go away after the boat warmed up a bit. In spring I tuned the boat up. (New cap, rotor, wires, plugs fuel water separator. At first the boat still ran like crap but then the problem had totally gone away through the better part of the summer. Now it's back The cap and rotor look ok and so do the plugs. No water in the fuel water separator and I changed it out again.

When it first started acting up again I hit a roller and the boat started to run great again briefly. That kind of has me puzzled and so does the way it had disappeared at the begging of summer.

I also noticed the temp gauge dipping at one point and I changed the thermostat out. (it would drop from 165 down to 130) Now that I've done that it runs at 170-180. I think I might have the wrong thermostat in it but I'll get that figured out later.

It's kept at a remote lake so I'm trying to avoid hauling it out this early but it's looking like I'm going to have to see if it's throwing a code or not.

Any help is appreciated !

PS, New coil too.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-22-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
I had difficulties earlier this summer, and mine were fuel related. I replaced the fuel water separator and put some heat in the fuel. Also, you could consider checking the pressure you are getting from your fuel pump.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-22-2010, 4:59 PM Reply   
Check for a vacuum leak, also. Is it carb or FI? Carb, check your floats, I had the same problem on my 1997 and my floats were bad as in they didn't float anymore and caused the carb to flood often. The other problem I ran into in my 1997 was a flat spot on the cam, cheap and quick fix but still a pain in the middle of the season.

Good luck!
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-22-2010, 6:10 PM Reply   
It's EFI
Old     (mbellaver)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-22-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
same engine similar problem on mine. It runs like crap when it gets up to operating temp...misses, cuts out, backfires. Fuel pump pressure was ok, new cap, plugs, coil, plug wires and still the same result. I think I've got it figured out though. I pullled the ignition sensor out of the distributer to get a part number and when I put it back it it ran great the rest of the summer. I imagine it's got a loose contact somewhere that is effected by heat. Anyway, I've got a new one on order just in case mine starts doing it again. Its a 70.00 part so its not too bad. It seems like its impossible to tell if its fuel or spark (at least for me). Good luck.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-22-2010, 7:53 PM Reply   
I can buy that it might be the ignition sensor. I hate to replace more parts than I need to without knowing though. I don't have the cutting out or backfire though.