Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
some dipchit at our 4th of July party last year dropped a bomb next to the boat and popped a little hole in one of the pontoons.

i need a quick fix on it until a friend gets some time to come repair it correctly.

Any suggestions?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-30-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
Do you have the kind where you can pump air in to expell all the water in there? ... I would do that.

Then pump a ton of foam in there just incase.... I assume its aluminum, weld a piece in if its a large hole.
if its small and you don't care about cosmetics, just 3m the hole up
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-30-2009, 11:37 AM Reply   
It's really hard to weld those aluminum pontoons correctly. They are very thin. Is the hole above the water line?

IF so, the 3m sealnt will work, or try cheaper alternatives first. I've used some plumbers silicone around some small leaks on some welds.

If you end up getting plates welded on, have the welder drill and tap some holes for drains in each pontoon chanber...once they start leaking it's hard to get them to stop. Good luck.

Don't let your friend use JB weld...if he does , it will be near impossible to weld in that area.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
the hole is below the waterline. he wont use jb weld he'll actually weld it. i trust his abilities to weld anything as he builds race planes from the ground up.

thanks guys. its not a huge hole but its big enough that waters in there. i'm going to pull it out today and check it out.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-30-2009, 12:34 PM Reply   
If your buddy is going to weld it, pull the boat out and wait for him. Don't even mess with trying to plug the hole. It may only complicate things.

Make sure your buddy pressure tests the toons before he's done, to make sure there are no leaks. Be VERY careful when pressure testing, supposedly as little as 10-15 PSI can make them burst.

I use an air pump that is used to blow up tubes/air matresses.
Old    shooter_08            09-30-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
That must have been a hell of a firework / "bomb" to blow a hole in your toon underwater. I feel your pain, I was at Havasu and some my boat with a mortar during labor day. It burned and blew up in my bow causing some significant damage to the cushions. luckily I didnt get to it as quickly as I wanted because it would have blown up in my hand. Luckily no one got hurt.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   
Thanks guys