Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-05-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
So, I'm at it again with the goofy side.

To be honest I have the perfect boat for me, for wakesurfing. I ride regular and the regular wake is just outstanding, I couldn’t be happier. However, there seem to be a lot of goofy wakesurfers in Ohio. Maybe it the water, or dual corn belt/rust belt local, whatever, seems like I always have more goofy surfers than regular. I just haven’t had what I think is reasonable success building a goofy wake behind my boat.

I tried a number of things last year. We tried a number of ballast configurations. The one that seemed to work best sunk the air vents in to the water so much so that we took on water and had to stop. Driving in circles didn’t seem to help the goofy wake.

Last year I made two different wake plate attachments. Both made the wake worse.

Late last year at the Lake Norris Season extender I set my manual trim tab as high as it would go. That definitely makes things worse. The goofy wake was all mush and there was a ton of spray in the riders face. There was even some spray on the regular wake. So definitely don’t set the MTT up.

I’m an accommodating guy I like to see my friends enjoy themselves too. So attempting to set up a good goofy wake is a natural thing for me to attempt. I’m not accommodating to the point where I’m going to do anything ridiculous like buy and keep two boats or sell the boat I have and buy another. I have the right boat for me. I don’t see my friends buying boats either. I am willing to spend $40 here and there and experiment with an idea.

So I bought a 12 inch by 18 inch sheet of 1/8 inch aluminum for $35. I also bought fasteners and some angle aluminum. I’m extending the length of the MTT quite a bit. The angles are there to provide strength and resist bending.

I’m hearing from a number of Avy owners that extending the trim tab works for them. I’m hoping it works for me too.

I have a few other ideas; some are not permanent changes others are. I have the boat I want I’m not willing to make permanent modifications to my boat. Plus I want to keep expenses down so, again spending $40 here and there is a fun diversion. The other ideas will just have to stay on the shelf.

Turn this
Upload

In to this
Upload

With this prescription?
Upload
Upload
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-06-2009, 4:23 AM Reply   
Wow, that looks interesting, curious to see how that will help. Almost seems like you would need to widen it some also. However, fluid dynamics is not my thang.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-06-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
looks great! I bet it works pretty well. I have an extra lenco 12x12 plate laying around if you decide to go that route, it fits perfectly in the stock location. All you would need was a lenco ram and you can pick those up cheap for around 100 bucks, plus some mounting bolts screws etc... I would sell the plate for $80 shipped. I love having control at the touch of a switch. The lencos are super easy to install, just two wires!Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-06-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
Mixed results. I don't have the pictures back yet. This was definitely the best goofy wake we’ve had behind the Mighty Enzo. The top of the wake was clean and firm and the wake had nice power. However, there still was a significant spray on the goofy side and the regular side was, disappointing.

The spray on the regular side was worse than the goofy side and the regular wake didn’t seem to have the push that I’m grown accustom to.
Old     (mpsurf)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-06-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
This has some promising results for cleaning up the port side of the boat wake. It would be interesting to see how it effects the starboard side.The theory was when the boat is loaded and leaning to the port side the fin would redirect some of the flow of the water coming off the kiel, prop, and rudder over the spin. The results where good. The spine was rolled over nicely, and the small step in the wake was almost gone. There was a small amount of spray that came of the top of the fin, so i cut it off.And the holes could be eliminated. I want to try different angles and fin shape and sizes.
Upload
Upload
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-06-2009, 3:34 PM Reply   
Why are you trying to clean up your port wave? I thought the enzo made a nice clean port wave?
Old     (mpsurf)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-06-2009, 4:53 PM Reply   
My port wave on my 23 Enzo was clean before, Now its the same wave but the spine is smoother more like a bubble, great for slides. Its a small tweak and I plan on improving on it. Next time I'm out I'll post some pictures
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-06-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
Who do I know out west with a yellow Enzo? Mac?