Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
so i was wondering how much weight i can run in my 07 Malibu vlx without re-proping? kinda broke at the moment.. im just scared because i blew my velvet drive (i think thats what the transmission is called) after 700 hrs in my sanger ski boat when i added 2000 lbs to it that the same thing is going to happen.. i have the 320 lci engine( wish i went bigger) any input would be great.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       04-07-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
Run it till it won't go anymore and that's the limit for that prop. Pretty much what we've always done with all my crew's boats and haven't had any problems. I'm sure Malibu will tell you not to load anymore than stock, but that's just their obligation of course.

My buddy has an 07VLX, and runs all 4 stock tanks, plus probably 500lbs in the nose, 400lbs in each rear locker, and several people. No problem with the stock prop. Not sure how much more it would take. That might give you an idea.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
yeah but is all that weight hard on the engine... i just dont want to kill my boat.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       04-07-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
I'm sure it's harder on the engine than no weight, but honestly, engines are pretty darn durable and I think the difference is fairly negligible.

Again, I'm sure Malibu will tell you not to exceed the stated capacities, and any opinion on WW is just that - opinion.

Everyone I ride with runs it till it pretty much won't plane anymore and nobody I know has had any major issues. Same for me. Both of my Malibus were always run sacked out with at least 2K in ballast and I have never had engine or transmission troubles (knock on wood).

Just maintain everything properly and don't worry about it. Or if you are worried, then don't run the weight and then you don't have to worry about it. Really only 2 options.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
true true i will just give it a go.... no wedge right?
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-07-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
Save up and get the Acme 1237 prop!!!! Then run as much weight as you wish.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       04-08-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
Try it both ways. You can probably get away with less weight if you run the wedge. Matter of personal preference.

Don't over analyze it. Just try stuff. We always get "the perfect setup" just to change it several months later. It's no exact science.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-08-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
yeah i am just know to go beyond sometimes and i just dont want to mess the boat up... but it sounds like 2000 sounds about right.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-09-2009, 8:02 AM Reply   
Get youRself a OJ 468, then weight isn't a factor out of the whole. The prop is probably the Acme 537 which is horrible with that much weight.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
it sounds like prop plus the bags is the best combo... well i guess im saving my food money.lol college, its fun to be broke.