Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-16-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
The first assignment will be a sports related action shot.

Only submit one (solid) photo and it must be taken between now 9-16 and 10-16 and shot by you.

Please don't post any photos other than your one entry.

(Post photos only please!)

Have fun,

Walt
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-01-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
http://www.pbase.com/eubanks01/image/86477322
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-08-2007, 12:11 AM Reply   
OK- first some context: The sport is cliff jumping. The cliff in this case is about 26 feet high. The jumper is a well known wakeboarder on this site. She climbed up jagged rocks in bare feet to reach the jump site. Here's the photo:
Upload
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-10-2007, 11:25 PM Reply   
cow-c in guthrie oklahomaUpload
Old    swass            10-11-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
Here's my contribution...such as it is.

I wonder why they didn't make the tackle?

Upload
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-11-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
indy glide Upload
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-15-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
1/250
f/8
ISO 100
On camera flash plus one slave flash.

Upload
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-15-2007, 5:06 PM Reply   
not the best pic, not the best lighting, not the best conditions....eh, whatever!

f/5
1/350
iso 100

Upload
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-15-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
f3.5
1/250
ISO800

Sb800 camera Left,
Vivitar 285 HV Caemra right,
Vivitar 285 HV lighting the tree.

Upload
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-16-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
I really wanted to join in on this contest but was too busy at work to go out and shoot sports. I hope rappelling is considered a sport.

f/3.5 @40 mm
1/800
ISO 200

Upload

patch and nameplate intentionally blurred.
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-16-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
f5
1/1600
ISO 200

Upload
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-16-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
Does the photo have to be posted by the end of the day?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-16-2007, 4:02 PM Reply   
Bug,
Post by Midnight and your good.
Old    mobster            10-16-2007, 5:14 PM Reply   
HERE IS ONE FROM OUR WAKESURFING TRIP LAST WEEKUpload
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-16-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
Here's my submission.
An unexpected refusal at a jump made for an interesting shot. I have a ton of jumping pictures but very few good ones of horses stopping.
Upload
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-16-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
Steven Hahn has agreed to be the judge on this one and you probably all have seen his work in the wake mags.

Thanks for your time Steven. http://www.wakeshots.com/index.asp

If you guys would like to critique or comment on your own shots please do so now and thanks for submitting your photos.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-16-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
Here's a self crit on my shot.

I like the lighting and the sense of motion with the blur on the rims.

I don't like that you can't tell where he's jumping from and I cut off some of the landing ramp. By not getting the take off and landing areas in the shot I failed to capture the whole scene/story.

The shot is also centered and the trick could be a lot more interesting.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-16-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
I could list a million things wrong with my technique and the photo. Instead, I will just point out that the Little Man needs to quit spinning the stick, never know when you are going to end up with it turned the wrong way and the red sea parting for an opponent....
Upload
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-16-2007, 10:56 PM Reply   
f/11
1/800
ISO 200

Something different for me.

Upload
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-17-2007, 6:03 AM Reply   
Self critique:

I don't like that mine was shot from the boat. The angle isn't very interesting.

I need more of the wake in the frame to give better perspective.

I am happy with the exposure/color (at least on my uncalibrated laptop screen) and I think the side light gives good depth and contrast.
Old    swass            10-17-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
A.P., I think you asked me what lens I used. You must've gotten yelled at by Walt. I think it's safe now.

I don't use the kit lens much. I took that picture with a 55-200mm zoom.

(Message edited by swass on October 17, 2007)
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-17-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
As long as we are all open to critiquing each other so we can learn.

Jed-
I agree, the color and exposure is spot on. The composition is good too but for me the problem is her face. I only see half of it and she is in the shade. Without the facial expression it seems to be missing a certain something.

Like EJ's photo - the kid looks scared. Ryan's the wakeboarder is looking right at the camera and smiling. My eye goes right to the face and the photo works. With yours my eye goes to the face, but it is slightly blurry and like I said, she is in the shadow. So my eye wanders to the feet and the board. Which is crisp and clear, but am I suppose to look at that?

Waiting until she was completely upside down would really make the shot. Give the viewer that something is wrong (upside down) but at the same time realize she is doing something unique.

Let it be known, I can critic photos better then I can take them. I shoot manual and adjust all the settings and constantly look at histograms and my wife puts the camera on auto and her photos are better then mine.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-17-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
Here are the ones I picked:

First Place was Joe Umali's surf shot. The color of the water looked awesome, the rider is definitely shredding and it's a clean crisp shot.

Ryan Taylor's rail shot comes in second. I liked the lighting on the tree behind him as well as the strobe on the subject. Well thought out.

Walt's shot comes in third, Although he could have used a brighter strobe instead of an on camera flash. It would have lite the subject up a bit more.

Here are some other comments:

Eubanks edge catcher shot was a good looking shot but made me cringe because I hate eating it like that.

The cliff jumping shot was cool but there was a lack of perspective because you couldn't see the water where she lands. Must have been a pretty high jump.

The Cable shot was just out of focus.

I really like Swass's football action shot, especially the look on the kids face trying to tackle him.

Billy's Silhouette indy glide is cool but a bit dark.

Jed's tow boat shot was clean but he caught her a little late coming out of her rotation.

The wakesurf shot was cool but the lighting just was horrible. Can't control mother nature.

Lizrds shot was clean I liked the fact that the horse looks like he's almost in the air. I also liked the composition of the other jumps framed around the subject.

EJ's shot was priceless. I don't know a lot about lacrosse but the look on the goalies face tells it all. The shot could have been framed a little wider to give it a bit more perspective.

Ant bugs silhouette shot was cool too. You could have photoshopped it a bit to bring down the glare.

Just my $.02
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-17-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
Being that the contest is closed, yes....discussion begins.

I can use all the critiquing I can get. I am LOST when it comes to this stuff.

I try to listen and learn, but as Jed is learning.....maybe my comprehension is not great.....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-17-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
Does this mean that Joe has the floor as far as the next "assignment?"
Old    swass            10-17-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
I knew my chance at the podium was toast once the big dogs started playing. Show-offs.
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-17-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
This was a good idea, Walt. What's the next assignment? Thanks for the feed back Hahn. Props to Joe/Ryan/Walt. You guys have big targets on your backs now.
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-17-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
How do you resize photos to 150kb without losing quality, size?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-17-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
ha! i didn't think my shot was very good, but i appreciate it, hahn.

so, do i get to pick the next assignment?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-17-2007, 12:40 PM Reply   
Thanks again Steven !

Joe,
Congrats and your the man so it's your pick.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-17-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
I'd appreciate feedback from anyone, too. My dirty secret: it was on auto mode and I didn't do any post processing.

What I like about mine: the framing of the subject and the lines of the overall image. I thought the light was decent too which for sports is so hard to control.

What I don't like about mine: even though the horse is ready to plant those front feet and quit if the shot was a moment earlier it might have been more dramatic. I also don't like that the rider is so well balanced - she's a professional and expected him to stop. It just doesn't portray "action" enough for me.

I'd love to see everyone's second shot they considered submitting.

I'll wait for the next assignment - this is fun!
Old                10-17-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
Here is my sumissionUpload
Old    swass            10-17-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
I fold.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-17-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
um to late!
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-17-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
Well, I guess I would have to say that my photo critique would be that I wish it was Keith Lindberg in the shot. He unfortunately stopped riding by the time I got this angle and lights dialed. It was freezing though so I can't blame him.

I think my fav's are Swass's, E.J's and Jeds. I think they are the ones that tell the best stories of them and are captured at great moments. Which I feel is the ideal goal of a sports action shot. If the goalie didn't have that face or if the football players weren't trying to tackle with their eye's closed they would be completely different photos. Usually it would be ideal for Jed to catch the action at the top of the peak but I think that the fact that she is spotting the landing shows a lot of control over the trick and it is timing that we don't always see in a wakeboarding shot.

I agree that the light in J.L's kinda sucks but like you said, you cant control mother nature. But damn! that kid's gots some snap! I wish I could boost my ollies that high!

Now I don't want to stir things up but I do have to get one thing off my chest. I guess I was never under the impression that this was a "contest" but rather that it was an assignment. I beleive everyone that submitted had some awesome photos and I would love to see people not get discouraged and keep posting. I know some may be "technically" better than others but I believe that there are no strict "rules" in photography, they are just more like "guidelines" (think pirate code) Just make sure you know WHY you are breaking the rules. Though, a blatantly out of focus photo is still an out of focus photo. (no offence sean, next time you might want to try pre-focusing on the spot in the photo where you know you want the rider. Hopefully he lands in that "sweet spot" when you snap the button!)

That being said, bring on the next assignment Umali!!!!!!!!!
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-17-2007, 5:18 PM Reply   
Here's the one I didn't submit. And now, sitting at my computer I wish I would have taken two steps to the left so that I had captured the horse's front and hind legs.

Upload

I'm ready for the next assignment.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-17-2007, 5:34 PM Reply   
Yea....and for some of us, riding is over....2 week assignments!

Thanks Ryan, those were nice words.... Not discouraged, I am challenged and going to improve and impress.....

P.S. The only thing that makes the face on that goalie better.....it is my son's..... God it is cool being a dad.
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-17-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the differential, Ryan. Another vote for assignment format. Although, having someone - prefferably who makes their living at it - critique the submissions is great. Thanks again for setting this up, Walt and for getting Hahn to comment. How about Letchworth or Meddock next time?

If this keeps up through the winter, we'll all have a few new tricks in our quivers when the season starts back up in Spring...

Umali, two words for the next assignment "tasteful nude." I'm heating up the wax now just in case.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-17-2007, 6:44 PM Reply   
.....Jed, I was belly laughing at the computer.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-17-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
I know I don't know jack but I'll throw out my two cents on the photos.

Peter T,

There's not enough contrast between the jumper and the cliff in the shot. I think it would be better shot from the side. Like Hahn said the water should be in the shot too.

Swass,

Great shot and I like that you were down at their level but you cut off the little dudes feet.

Joe,
I like the shot and the SDF works great. If I have to say something negative it would be that it's to centered.

Ryan,
Your shot is my personal favorite and is the most technically challenging IMO. I like the comp and colors. Maybe another slave flash to the right would of made the rider and the end of the slider pop a little more. Shooting action at night isn't easy and something I'd like to master some day.

AP,
I find your shot static and he's just a guy in the sky. You cut off his feet too.

Jed,
Get out of the tow boat.

JL,
I like the comp except it's a ass shot. I don't know how you could change that with wake surfing though ?

Liz,
I don't like the angle (ass shot) and I wouldn't of known what was going on if you hadn't explained it. The action may of been more obvious if it was shot from a front angle ?
Judging by the shadows the light would of been better too from a front/side angle.
I like your second shot a lot more and would love to see one from the front/side so you can see the riders face.

EJ,
Cool shot but you cut his feet off.

Ant,
I'm a fan of silhouette shots and you nailed the action but straighten that horizon out.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-18-2007, 12:49 AM Reply   
I did cut the guys feet off. Didn't notice that until Walt commented on it. This should be entertaining. Can't wait for the next one.
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-19-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
i totally forgot about entering in this and i have no clue why i put that out of focus shot in there when i had a good one lol anyway whats the next one maybe a man made light shot?
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-22-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
Umali, when can we expect to see the next assignment?
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-23-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
Give it a few days. I think Umali has evacuated his home due to the fires.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-23-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
Yes, last I read Joe and family were at the Epic offices and had a hotel room somewhere..... Hope their condo is A-OKAY......
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-23-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
Well, I'm here to say it's not that difficult to type with a foot in your mouth... I'm doing it now. Good luck with everything Umali.

(Message edited by gehennaengine on October 23, 2007)