Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (eldirtb)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-25-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
How do you all keep birds from sitting on your tower and crapping all over the place? I tried an owl on top, but after a fews days the crows were no longer scared.
Old     (rebelman10)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-25-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
Bird seed and BB gun!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-25-2010, 8:56 PM Reply   
I came up with this rig.... it worked pretty well
Its just PVC to make a "T" .... then just drilled holes and ran fishing line down around CDs so they spin and dangle and the birds seem to hate the shine and movement.

Attached Images

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-25-2010, 9:00 PM Reply   
You can see in the above picture ^^^^ the lack of poop on the bimini, here was pre-CD rig.... lots of ****, and owls clearly don't work
Attached Images

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-25-2010, 9:12 PM Reply   
didn't even notice the lady friend is BB gun wielding , but BB guns are a last resort I hate killing
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2010, 8:47 AM Reply   
We have a pelican problem, or I should say we Had a pelican problem.

You see birds, as dumb as they are can actually learn.

I kept a BB gun at the dock while cleaning fish for about a month, 3 days a week average fishing. When a pelican would land on the boat I shot his azz.
With only 1 or 2 pumps. I'm not killing the birds and pretty soon they learn. A year later now I only have to train the new young ones and it only takes a couple of shots before they too learn.

No guano on the boat, no torn canvass from their claws and beaks while eating and no Rube Goldberg contraptions flapping in the breeze.

You had better be a good shot. Collateral damage has been known to occur.

Just saying.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-26-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
We had a problem with Blue Jays on the farm. Kill one and hang it by its feet in a tree. No more Blue Jays.
Not sure if that works for other birds but it does for Blue Jays!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-26-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
Guys be careful what type of bird you are firing at with the bb gun. Killing a blue jay without permit is illegal and can result in imprisonment or fine.

Migratory Bird Act (and there are over 800 species on the list):

"Migratory birds may seek respite within trees or on buildings considered private property. The Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 prohibits the removal of all listed species or their parts (feathers, eggs, nests, etc.) from such property. However, in extreme circumstances, a federal permit might be obtained for the relocation of listed species (in some states a state permit is required in addition to a federal permit). Pursuant to the spirit of the treaty, it is not trivial to obtain a permit; the applicant must meet a certain criteria as outlined in Title 50, Code of Federal Regulations, 21.27, Special Purpose Permits.[6]
The permit applicant is generally a contractor who specializes in wildlife relocation. When hiring a contractor to trap and relocate any animal from one's property, the private property owner is well advised to attain proof of such permits before any trapping activity begins, as trapping without the necessary paperwork is common in the United States.
Most wildlife management professionals consider relocation actions undue harm to the birds, particularly since relocated birds (being migratory) often return to the same property the next year. In the case of trapping and relocation, harm is brought on by or can result in:

Breaking, a term describing increased susceptibility to disease brought on by the stress of capture and relocation
Difficulty in establishing territory at the new location
Separation of family members and the stunting of juveniles' natural progression into adulthood."
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-26-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
CRAP! I hung a cat up like that once ... is there a migratory cat act too?
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-26-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
That's funny, I did not even notice the BB gun in the pic, either!
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-26-2010, 6:16 PM Reply   
Jeremy are you serious?
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-27-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
Did hanging the cat work Razzman?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-27-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
Cats stayed away but then the freaking vultures showed up!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-27-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
"Jeremy are you serious?"

Yes. I am not this huge nature freak (I don't think I would shoot a bird with a BB gun) and I have hunted in the past. My point was not to try and bust someone, but to say that you should be careful when you choose to shoot a bird, especially considering that you could be turned in by someone, that is a nature freak, that may be bothered by you shooting a bird.

Crap on your boat cover is not worth jail time or some enormous fine, IMO. I was simply posting a law that is still enforced.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-27-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
OK all kidding aside Jeremy is right, especially if you live in liberal Cali where everything is protected and your neighbors will report you just because they can. Not condoning it but if you were to say "eliminate" the problem you'd better not get caught. Example, there's some frog way up the mountain here that if caught with one constitutes a $50,000 fine! Don't even think of killing it!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-28-2010, 7:33 AM Reply   
That CD things seems to work, even the person on the dock is shielding their eyes.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-28-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
Just do it in the winter time. Get a shotgun, a hunting licence and a migratory bird stamp(they are $1.).
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-02-2010, 3:06 PM Reply   
www.nobirds.com - has a solar powered spinner thing that you can mount to your tower.
I have had it for a few years. It works pretty well most of the time.
However, sometimes the birds will still come. I deal with Sea Gulls.
I am not sure if they get used to it or what..