Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-25-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
Joe - Turns out I didn't have the ground buss hooked up as I had nowhere to hook it yet with no accessory batteries in. Once I grounded it the bilge and the blower worked off the start battery.

As for the sub box, I couldn't make it the size I was planning. I didn't want to take off the steering column so that limited me to 17.5 inches tall. I couldnt design a box big enough to be ported and the recommended sealed size didn't allow me room for a heater pass through either. I am currently trying to figure out where else to put the heater vent. I will probably convert it to a pull out hose with the housing/flange secured to the top of the box.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-26-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
You could mount the vent that you have on top of thebox. Just angle it down so it blows on your feet.

I figured it was the ground. I forgot mine one time when I was messing with it.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-26-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
Dale I would love to see some pics of your HLCD's mounted in the transom.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-26-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
unbelievable!! keep up the good work
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-26-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
I finally got a chance to put the boat in the water today. It's been a loooooong winter, and an even longer spring. It seemed like every time we got a nice day, either the boat was torn apart, or I had something else going on. Everything worked great! I did have to tweak a few things though.

I installed an HSE over the winter, but I didn't get a chance to mess with the tach signal generator. There's 4 wires (besides the power, ground, and tach). You have to twist 2 of them together to make it work. I can't remember which one it ended up being, but it wasn't the one they recommend you start with. Either way, it only took a few minutes to get the right one. This thing is awesome! I would highly recommend it. It's going to be so great to not have to mess with the volume all the time. I would also like to say that Jim at HSE was a pleasure to work with. He made sure that I had everything I needed, and even called me a couple times to make sure that everything went good. Great people, great product!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-26-2010, 5:58 PM Reply   
As you all know, I installed a second heater. The guys at Heatercraft said that I might need a water pump to speed up the flow of hot water, because of the extra run of hose. I tried doing without, but I didn't get much heat out of one, and no heat out of the other. I ended up installing a pump today. No big deal because I already had a relay wired up from when I wired up both heater boxes to the same switch. It works great now. I have all the heat I need now.
Attached Images

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-26-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
I got the Boat Buddy installed. It only took a few minutes, but I needed to take the boat off the trailer first. No suprises here. Loading the boat is a snap now.
Attached Images

Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-26-2010, 8:04 PM Reply   
Nice Joe! Glad to see everything is working out for ya. I am close to being able to throw mine on the water as well. Just a few more things need doing and then a good cleaning top to bottom.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-26-2010, 8:18 PM Reply   
Here is the configuration I chose for the amps. Tomorrow its time to connect them all up, do some wire management, and see how it sounds. Can't wait!

Last edited by _vitty_; 04-26-2010 at 8:20 PM.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-27-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
Joe - boat buddy's tend to get fickle over time. If you hit it too hard it won't engage, if you hit it soft it will engage. I found with mine that over time I have to have it "half cocked" meaning that the lever just barely rests on edge when you have it pulled back and it engages every time now. I also found that with my particular trailer that the boat buddy will allow that extra 1 in of slack of not being all the way loaded. The bow would bounce on the road because the bow was not rested all the way on the most foward guide. So to eliminate this I also have my wife give a little power to keep it nosed in all the way or I just get the winch and pull the winch strap tight once it's all the way loaded. If I was just going to the storage on/near the ramp no biggy but I'm not. I hope this makes sense.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-27-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
Ordered my channeling from Scott at Sampson today for the wind dam.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-27-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
Heres an update guys. The dividers are almost done. Super light and wayy stronger then the stock ones. They still need to be polished and the flat top piece needs to be attached.
Attached Images

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-27-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
Thanks Fred, I had a BB on my last boat. I remember what a pain they can be sometimes. I keep my boat 4 houses from the launch, and the gas station is only a mile away. I do use the straps if I'm going any farther then that though. Even though there's a learning curve, I still love them. It just makes it so much easier at the launch.

Nic, WOW!!! I didn't realize you were getting new amps too.That looks sweet! How much of a pain was it to remount those amps? You should see me try to wiggle my way into that cubby hole. It's pretty f'n funny.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-27-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
Twitch, those are sick! Is that real carbon fiber? Put me down for some.

J/K I'll probably have to go the budget route and just reinforce mine. They do look pretty sweet though.

On a side note, I really want to take a fiberglass/carbon fiber class or something. I have a huge lit of things that I would make if I only knew how. I'm almost ready to volunteer at a shop, just to learn something.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-27-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
Joe,

I just got done taking a two week course at Alteon for composites. Damn interesting class and would love to get to apply some of it. The class was for composite repairs on airplanes but alot will transfer over.

Hit me up if you have any specific questions and i'll see if I can answer them.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-27-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
Jeremie, I really appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. I really have no experience at all with that kind of stuff. I can make the magic happen with wood or metal, but not so much with glass or carbon.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-27-2010, 3:09 PM Reply   
Thanx Joe, This guys does awesome work check out what he did for our 22' Donzi.
Attached Images

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-27-2010, 5:12 PM Reply   
WOW! Did he do all the machining himself?That's some pretty nice work.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-28-2010, 5:22 AM Reply   
Yeah Joe, I went with 2 SYN4 amps to power the 16 xs-650's at 100 watts each and then a SYN1 to power the kicker sub and a xs-xxx at 500 watts each. I connected them up last night to be sure everything was working and with no gain on the amps it was already as loud and much clearer than the kicker system. Especially the transom setup. Man do those 8 650's sing back there! They are going to be sickly loud once I start adjusting the amps.

Mounting those amps was a royal PAIN! Literally. I found the best way to work in that cubby hole is to get on your back and go head-first into the cubby then lay flat on your back inside. You can then sort of wiggle and rest your back against the side of the boat which props you up a tad. Not looking forward to the wire management under there.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-28-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
Joe do you mean the throttle/gear levers? we bought those but he did all the fiber glass work. At first that big box(first pic) was going to be sticking out of the side which looked sorta funny so this guy just used his brain and made what you see in the second pic. Its really amazing work. Between that and the dividers I was blown away at how good he is with fiberglass and what not.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-29-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
Finally got my batteries all situated and plugged in the on-board charger for the first time tonight. All is well and working.

Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
Dale-
Yes, I am going to have Tyrell and Kenny @ Prestige do the drain. Tyrell said 'hi'.

Nic-
RIDICULOUS!!! Wish I could hear that thing in person. Also, I haven't been able to climb into my boat the past few days, just been busy and we've had crazy thunderstorms every night when I have had time to go measure the thickness of the wind dam, you may want to just take your channeling to the plexi place and have them fit the width, the more I think about it, it may be 1/2" thick, sorry I don't know for sure.

Fred-
I am definately interested in gunnel pads. Are they going to be aluminum like the ones Joe was talking about with a seadeck-type top? Do you have a pic of what you are thinking?

Twitch-
Sick dividers! I am may be interested in paying your guy to making me some too, lemme know if that might be a possibility.

Joe-
Boat buddys are super handy, I LOVED mine on our boatmate trailer until the pin bent (to Fred's point). I think my pin bending was more user-error than boat buddy error. Fred's suggestion of 'half-cocked' is perfect, that is actually how my dealer showed me how to do it when I bought the Supra.

Some things I have added to my 'To Do' list-

Rear Compartment handles-
I just received 3 yards of the gray vinyl from Epic that I am going to have a local upholstery shop make me two handles for each hatch. The crossways handles like someone suggested earlier on this thread.

Adding some padding on the top edge of the rear seat-
There is currently no padding between the hard plastic backboard and the vinyl, we have banged our shins, forarms, feet etc. way too many times, it freakin hurts!!! So same upholstery shop is going to add some molded foam on top of that plastic back board :-)

Trailer extender-
We are currently in the R&D stages of adding some type of removeable trailer extender to the back of the trailer that has a platform to carry a couple kids motorcyles, kids 4-wheeler, luggage, etc. There was a sweet one a guy on WW had on his Supra trailer, but I can't find it on WW anymore. For those of you who remember seeing that one, same type of idea here. If you guys find or have a pic of that Supra trailer, please share, I can't seem to find it?....

Adding speakers to the tower (downward facing).
Fabricating a plate that we can basically mount two 6.5's or 5.25's into the area between the two top tubes of our tower. The speakers would be downward facing and would be able to 'fade' the sound on the same channel as the cabin speakers, so fade 'front' would control these tower speakers along with the cabin speakers. The idea is similar to the Jeep wrangler 'sound bars' built into the roll cage. Reason why- When my boat is full of peeps they are sitting in front of the current 4 cabin speakers, and somewhat 'block' the music.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-30-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
Ice, I really like your idea's. Are you talking about making handles like tuneman was talking about earlier in this thread? I would be interested in share the cost of the vinyl if you have extra. I was thinking of removing the nylon lift straps and having the someone sew the vinyl over them and then installing them like tune suggested. Like I said, I'd be interested if your getting them made, and have extra material.

I noticed that edge also. Nobodys been hurt yet, but I can see what you mean.

I was thinking about tower speakers too, but my girl finally said enough is enough. Maybe next year, who knows.

Nic, you really have those batteries wedged in there. Looking good buddy.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
Joe-
Yes, like the ones Tuneman suggested earlier in this thread, sorry I forgot it was Tuneman that suggested them, i knew someone did, just forgot it was Tuneman. Below are a couple pics of a Sanger that has them and I will be doing. I like how thin they are and how tight to they are, no slack in them. I should have plenty of material left over, I can send you some if you choose to go this route. The only concern is that at the rear of the hatches the corner is both white and gray vinyl and don't quite know how the gray strap will look across the white portion of the vinyl. I know that is somewhat splitting hairs, but I really like the idea of them blending in as much as possible. The front end of the hatches are all gray, so we are good to go there.

As far as the backseat top edge goes, I didn't mean to sound so harsh, but definitely something that we want to replace. I don't know if we jump around, wrestle around, or have more 'dancing girls' on the back seat/deck area more than the average, but definately something we have noticed... Scott, if you are reading this, DON'T WORRY, you still made a great purchasing decision! LOL...
Attached Images

Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-30-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
NO pics of the gunnel pads. I have to get them in and I have lost the templates. I have to call him soon, tho, for sure. There will be no metal in my pads. It will be pure Seadek.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-30-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
I have the crossway handles. You can simply get Hide-em off of ebay by the foot and get it in white and grey. THis is what I have on my hatches currently.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-30-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
Hey ICE I got the template today. Really appreciate it!
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-30-2010, 3:25 PM Reply   
I was personally back and forth on how to do my wind dam with my ideal situation using hidden magnets and eliminating any channels and any need to attach the channels. Well, I ended up really simplifying things but still made a panel that doesn't need any channels. It's really nice as when it is out, there is no trace of anything left.

We are getting lots of rain here and I'm currently laid up with bruised ribs but I'll snap some pics the next time we are out! I used 1/2" plexi, cut the profile out and it follows the slope of the fiberglass behind the bow seat backs. The bottom of the panel simply sits on the floor padding while the top rests on the window. Doesn't move once it is in place and it is virtually invisible being clear with no channels. Something to think about if you are about to drill holes/order channels!

We've got a lightbar installed too. It was super nice that the boat came with the extra 'acc' toggle switch in factory configuration to allow for at least one aftermarket accessory without aftermarket switching. We ran the wiring through the existing wire loom/conduit that is in place for the nav lights and that whole install is super clean/factory looking. Also pulled the 'mounting clamps' off of the bar and just bolted it direct to a plate on the tower cleaning up the install even further.

Last edited by epicwinnipeg; 04-30-2010 at 3:33 PM.
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-30-2010, 3:34 PM Reply   
mispost sorry
Old    ScottRobinson            04-30-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
WOW is all I can say. I have mine on order. They are giving me some options on the tower color and graphic type and color. I have a black hull coming so going to go with something silver as graphic so I can get a chrome tower. As far as all the MODS go, yeah it sometimes does get a bit concerning but I know you guys are just loving the boat just making them your own. So no worries. I do like the idea of the wind dam with no channels or holes. May have to go that route. I am back now and will be here more since home. May 22 is date for new boat, but I travel to TEXAS to meet with GARY from EPIC to ride and get my boat. They are also putting on my FAE at the factory (think I might have said that already, just didn't go up and look) so, pumped. FAE is most important to me, so that will be done, wind dam is second to me. What is third????
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-30-2010, 5:13 PM Reply   
You should get a WS420 and an HSE. Those have to be the coolest things so far. I can't explain how nice it is to be able to adjust the inside, and rear speakers separately. And it's even cooler to have the volume adjust itself. SO, SOOOO nice.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2010, 5:31 PM Reply   
Nic-
You're welcome, glad I could help.

Ian-
Damn dude! Where were you about 2 months ago! LOL, oh well, sounds like we both have applications that are gonna work for us, but yours much easier process.

Joe-
If you were to only do one at a time (ballin' on a budget) what one would you do first, the WS420 or HSE?
Old    ScottRobinson            04-30-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
Ok, being a newbie what is a WS420 or a HSE? Explain...
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-30-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
WetSounds 420 Equalizer

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/WS-420.html

HSE Volume Control

http://www.hsetrident.com/html/rvc_info.html
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-30-2010, 8:15 PM Reply   
I guess if you were really on a tight budget you could still fade the inside from the rear using the fader on the stereo. You wouldn't get the sweet mic, or the fine tuning of the sound, but you could do it. So I guess if I had to pick, I'd say the HSE. I'm not sure if there still on sale, but earmark had them pretty cheap recently.

Also, something that's essential is the dynamat for the whole drivers side. Without it, theres just to many rattles. There is a cheaper alternative to dynamat. It's tar tape. It's basically just a 6" strip of tar with a aluminum backing. Don't tell anyone, but it's the same thing as dynamat minus the dynamat logo. I found some at a local semi trailer parts store.

Another easy fix, Adjust you amps properly:
set the gains on the amps to roughly 25%. Turn the bass boost on the sub amp(s) only to about 9-o'clock. Set the sub eamps crossovers to about 80HZ.

On the full range amps, make sure bass boost is totally off, set the crossovers to high pass with the frequency at roughly 100 HZ

These are the best, easiest upgrades.

Another thing is adjusting the gains on the amp.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-01-2010, 7:01 AM Reply   
With the Dynamat Joe, do I have to tear the boat apart to put it in? Also where do I put that stuff? Can you show me pictures or talk me through it? I don't want any rattles with a brand new boat just cuz the stereo is on. Does it rattle when the stereo isn't on? Anyplace on youtube or something to see what I have to do to make it right?
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-01-2010, 7:53 AM Reply   
Don't get the wrong idea Scott, this boat is solid. We were surfing the other day and I was amazed at how easily the boat cut through the rollers that we were putting out. To be clear. The boat doesn't have any rattles on it's own. The problem is, the sub hit's really hard, and it rattles that whole wall. You don't have to dynamat, but it really does make a big difference.
To answer your question though, you do have to take the side apart to get it done right.

Believe it or not, I didn't take any pic's that day. It was the second day I had the boat, and I was so excited about the whole thing, I forgot to take any.
It really is an easy job though. you can do it with the most basic hand tools. I would get a heat gun, or a hair dryer to really get the dynamat to stick.

I'd be happy to walk you through it on the phone. You have my number, use it.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-01-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Twitch, did you get yours in the water yet? I can't wait to hear about the trim tabs.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-01-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
Thanks man, I will when the time comes.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-01-2010, 8:14 PM Reply   
I did a bunch of adjusting to my setup today. Had to wear ear plugs while I was tuning it. It was really that loud. The neighbors probably loved me. I would definitely recommend the xs-650's from wet sounds. They really pack a punch and provide an extreme amount of mid-bass for such small speakers. They are also clear as can be, even at extremely high volume(I'm talking volume that you need earplugs in volume). I had the transom cranked and they remained articulate. I would not hesitate to say it is about 3 times louder than the kicker transom setup. Love it!

I did find some strange happenings when I put my subwoofer under the driver's feet compartment. When I was running the new sub along with the kicker in the side of the boat it sounded pretty good. I got rattles from the hard hitting kicker as usual, but something I thought was really lacking. I then proceeded to unplug the kicker sub and run just the sub under the driver's feet. Man what a difference that made. It didn't pack as much punch, but it was 10 times clearer and I would even say it hit deeper. I didn't have anywhere near the rattles I had when the kicker was running too. That thing puts a lot of pressure on that side of the boat.

In conclusion, I have decided to keep the kicker in for purely looks alone to keep that square hole filled. I was also fortunate enough to try out an Image Dynamics 12" IDQv3 sub today as well. That thing was amazing and crystal clear. I will be going with one of those under the driver's feet, and I will be putting in a 10" Image Dynamics IDQv3 somewhere else in the boat. The kicker just was not meshing well with the rest of my install.

Last edited by _vitty_; 05-01-2010 at 8:17 PM.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-02-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
Wow, you guys are just amazing at what you know and can do. Hell I wish one of you lived close, I would just drop my new 2011 off and let you tweak it out.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
All-
If you are interested in the grab handles like I posted before, I will be getting mine done this week and can have the upholstry shop make extras. Let me know if you are interested and then I will get a price for you guys. You will need to staple or mount them on your own, but I can have them cut to length and sewn. I am going to do mine just like the previous pics I posted of that Sanger. The material that I have though is the OEM gray vinyl that we all have in our boats with those little round 'dots' on in. I know Joe wants some, so thought I would send out the offer since I am having mine made. I have plenty of vinyl. Let me know if you are interested.

Nic-
I bet that thing screams! Very interesting about the sub experiment.

Scott-
I also dynamatted the faux-carbon and the bottoms of the cup holders on the port side of my boat with my extra dynamat that I had left over from the starboard side. On the port side though, I didn't take the boat apart, I just removed the 6.5's speakers, cup holders and then just cut pieces of dynamat to the contours of the carbon and slapped in on the backside of the carbon via the speaker holes, cup holder holes and the storage bin. I figured no one will ever see it. It did help out doing the port side of the boat though. A guy could do the same method on the starboard side if you are a little hesitant about taking your boat apart. I would suggest doing it like Joe suggested, but you could probably get away with doing it the other way.

One thing that I found really helps is put dynamat on the bottom of the stainless cup holders (on both sides of the boat. Obviously cut it to fit the bottom of the holders and punch a hole to accommodate the drain hole in the bottom of the holders, but it adds weight to the cup holders and they won't rattle around when the bass hits. The whole dynamat thing my sound hard or cumbersome, but it really isn't. If you do not buy the tar-paper that Joe suggested, I would buy the dynamat 'door kit' to start. That should be enough to do the critical areas of both the starboard and port sides.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-02-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
Ohhhhhh I forgot to tell you guys about that I completely spaced it! I haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but the guys at the shop took it out to give it a test run and they came back in shock of the size of the wake with those tabs down. They were absolutely blown away. The only downside is that they can be dangerous. I know if you have both port and starboard down the boat will submarine at 5mph. Weather or not it will submarine with port or starboard down and the center tab down I'm not sure about. I'm gonna have to do some testing soon and figure it out. I think for safety reasons I'm gonna have them wire it so when one tab goes down on either side, the opposite side is restricted from going down until the other is all the way up. Also when the boat is shut off the motors cycle until the tabs are in the full upright position. I am super stoked to get out in it soon.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-02-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
Yeah Twitch, why did you put those on anyway, does it make the surf wake that much bigger than our stock boats?
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-02-2010, 6:04 PM Reply   
I havent seen it in person but the guys that took it out said it was enormous
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-03-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
That's what I'm counting twitch. I figure with all the weight these boats can carry, all it needs is a little more lean. How long are your tabs? I might look into getting shorter ones for mine. I like the safety wiring idea though.

Ice, Thanks again for making those for me. I really appreciate it.

Scott, Most of this stuff were doing can be done at home with basic hand tools, and a little time. I'd be happy to walk you through any of the installs. But to be honest, I think you'll be happy with your boat as is. It just so happens, you ran across a couple guys who can't leave well enough alone.

I've been scouring the land for some used lead. I want to put a few hundred pounds in the nose. I can't believe how stingy everyone has gotten. I did a search for lead 6 years ago and people were happy to get rid of it. Now that scrap prices went up, they act like its gold. After 2 weeks of stopping here and there, I only have about 50#. The search continues.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-03-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
Oh yeah,

Ice, Thats a good ides to put the dynamat on the cup holders. I took mine out and wrapped some electrical tape around the very top to make them fit snug. I like the extra weight though. I probably will take the pass side apart at some point. I just wanted to enjoy the boat in one piece for a little while.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-03-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
Ok, so after scrapping my current sub setup and disconnecting the kicker in teh boat I have settled on the following.....

3 Image Dynamics 12" IDQv3 subs. 1 for the box under the driver's feet, and 2 for the rear compartment/s.

What do you guys think would be best?
- 1 sub in each compartment
- 2 subs in a single compartment
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-03-2010, 2:08 PM Reply   
are you talking about 2 12's in the transom?
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-03-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
No it would be 2 12's in the rear compartment or compartments if I put one in each. They would be in sealed boxes and would probably take up 1/4 of the compartment if I make them right.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-03-2010, 2:53 PM Reply   
Joe,

yeah I know, lol you guys ever get to get out on the water? NUTZ man, but cool and hell. I am sitting here just wishing I could sit in mine let alone mess with it. 3 weeks and counting .....

THE COUNTDOWN STARTITH !!!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-03-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
Scott, I get out just as much as I can. Although my projects did run over a bit, I planned to be done by April 1st. Got it done be the 3rd week April.

I'm glad I'm not you, I don't know if I could handle a 3 week wait. I'd never get any sleep.

If you want to ride on an Epic, come on up next weekend. We can make it happen.
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-03-2010, 5:33 PM Reply   
Joe,

I too was trying to source some lead without a whole lot of luck.

I ended up at home depot. $5-6/55lb bag of sand or gravel. I have just under 385lbs in the nose right now. It's good with the rear tanks at around 1/4-1/2. Any more in the rear and it seems to wash out. Once we get comfortable with the boat as is (coming from a weighted glastron!) I can see running more in the rear but it will require more in the nose. 7 55lb bags of sand fit in the nose in the bags but to get more in, I think we'll just open the bags and pour the sand in under the seats. It would fit way more than ever needed that way and I'd just vacuum it out at the end of the season.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-03-2010, 5:46 PM Reply   
Joe, I wish I could make that happen. I am so geeked to get this thing. 3 week no sleep is going to SUCK AZZ !! =) Only good thing is we haven't had great weather here yet. Seen 80 once, so good and bad with that. When I do get it water will be cold. Wish you were only a few hours cuz I would take you up on it in a second. Central Indiana to I think you are in Minnesota or Wisconsin, either way....long trek...
Old    ScottRobinson            05-03-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
Oh they sent me a pic of the boat, from their files....but I will post tomorrow at work since they sent it to my email at work... you guys can tell me what you think...
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-03-2010, 5:58 PM Reply   
Ian, please, please don't pour sand in your boat. It's never going to vacuum out like you think. It's going to be everywhere. If your set on the sand, I would take 2 contractors bags (doubled up) and set them under the seats, and pour the sand in there. Then pray that they don't break open.

I'm looking for lead for this season, but I think I'm set on getting some trim tabs like twitch for next year. Speaking of which, I'd love to see a full write-up from Twitch. Including brand, size, location of the pump, switches, and pic's of the install, and wake. I know it's a tall order, but I'm not the only one interested in this.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-03-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
Scott, I hear ya. The ex inlaws live in northern Indy. I think your about 6hrs from Milw. I can make it happen if you can make the trip.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-03-2010, 6:05 PM Reply   
6 hours thats it huh..... maybe one of these days, but with little league and all that crap this month is sick packed. Would LOVE to take you up on it tho...
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-03-2010, 11:54 PM Reply   
Twitch-
Ditto- "I'm looking for lead for this season, but I think I'm set on getting some trim tabs like twitch for next year. Speaking of which, I'd love to see a full write-up from Twitch. Including brand, size, location of the pump, switches, and pic's of the install, and wake. I know it's a tall order, but I'm not the only one interested in this."
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-05-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
Twitch,
I sent you a PM about your old Sony remotes. I need the extension cables that go with them since I moved my remote to the side of the transom. I can't seem to find them sold anywhere.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-06-2010, 9:19 AM Reply   
Any of you Epic owners interested in my Wet Sounds XS-XXX woofer? I would sell it for $350. It's brand new and comes with a full factory warranty. Let me know.
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-07-2010, 6:11 PM Reply   
Where can I get those glove box springs? I have an '07 and have a Star Gazer upgrade for my PP planned. My speedo hasn't worked since I bought the boat last July, and no speedo = no speed control witch got me good at surfing though due to ease of driving without PP. I assume its the paddle wheel thats hooped and don't think its worth it to fix it. The gps will be more reliable. Also need to get a bimini, our son will be a year old in august and will definitely need some shade. A fae will also be added this year as well.
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-07-2010, 6:19 PM Reply   
Also its exciting to see these boats getting more popular up here (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan). I've bugged a couple of dealers up here that they need to sell these boats, and before you know it, I see an ad on Kijiji for Epics and they are gonna be at the boat show. I went to the show and Gary was there with the guys that are starting the dealership. Super nice guy, had lots good info for me, even remembered who the guy was who I bought my boat off of when I told him where I bought it. The father and son team starting the dealership were real nice as well, offered me a demo ride on a new one this summer. I noticed no action on the Epic owners website, are you guys going to go back to there anytime?
Old    ScottRobinson            05-07-2010, 6:42 PM Reply   
Yeah, it is very cool that we have owners here. I think we need to work on Gary to get their site better, and maybe even put a forum for us on there. Thoughts? I can talk to Gary about it.
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-07-2010, 11:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsner31 View Post
Where can I get those glove box springs? .
I just went through looking for them myself... West Marine... they had an 8" one, not listed on website, for $10.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...3257&langId=-1
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-08-2010, 12:14 AM Reply   
I finally got a chance to snap some pics.

lightbar - I'm super happy with it. ebay aerial for $150. The wiring was sloppy and needed some tlc but nothing technical - just some careful tucking and bending. I was able to remove the tower clamps and bolt it direct to the existing plate which was really nice. I used the oem 'acc' switch.

wind damn - i have brief description a few posts ago...

random pic - i just dig it!

fae - being fab'd right now and should be on in a week or so.
Attached Images

Old     (dachbr)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-08-2010, 2:00 AM Reply   
Looks sweet Ian. What do you mean about your FAE being fabricated? Are you having one made up? Post pics when you get it installed!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-08-2010, 5:50 AM Reply   
Frosty, that's the one. I used 2 part epoxy to attach it to the lid, and screwed it into the fiberglass. Took about 10min, and I works like a charm.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-08-2010, 5:53 AM Reply   
Fred, I started a thread like this one on the owners site, but I never updated it. It didn't seem like anyone else was on there. I keep thinking I'll go back and update it, but I just haven't had the time.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-08-2010, 7:28 AM Reply   
Hey Ian, what color is your boat? I would love to see a side shot, don't see too many with white towers, so I would love to see the snapshot of the whole side views of the boat. I have picked Black with Brushed tower, I am also doing a custom wrap on mine when it gets here. 2-3 weeks still.....uggggggg
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-08-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Ian-
I really like that light bar, clean look & not intrusive, tucks up under the tower nicely. Do the lights throw good light? Wind dam looks great too.

Frosty-
If you have a supra/mpomba dealer in your area, it's the same spring that supra/mpomba used on the '06 & previous glove boxes. The dealer may have one in stock.
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-08-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Dale, Larry Mann at FAE is making one up. They just didn't have any in stock but he said with the increasing interest he is going to try keep a couple around and ready to ship out.

Scott, boat is red with the clean and classic graphic. I really like the simplicity of the clean and classic graphic but I am a minimalist. You could do the clean and classic in flat black (or even charcoal) on the gloss black boat and it would be super nice!

Ice, lights throw a good amount of light yeah. Still haven't been out on the water late enough with them to see their effect out there but they sure light up my back yard and the interior of the boat. Unsure of riding with them at dark but surfing would be a non issue. In any case, we won't have to rush back to the dock as the sun sets.
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-08-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   

Last edited by epicwinnipeg; 05-08-2010 at 9:57 AM.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-08-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
for some reason the pic didn't post
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-08-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
Scot, It's probably to big. You have to scale it down.
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-09-2010, 4:29 PM Reply   
no luck...

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...c.jpg&newest=1
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-09-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
Ian, That wind dam looks pretty sweet. I'm kind of jealous. It actually has me wondering why I mounted the channel in my boat.

I'm wondering, how does it stay in place? I can see the tabs, but what stops it from falling forward?
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-09-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
Here you go ian.
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-09-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
joe, Ya man, it is pretty nice that when it's not there, nothing is. It is in at a pretty good slope (follows the slope of the seat backs) and it just leans against the bottom of the window at the top and the tabs lean against the body in the middle. Doesn't budge!

thanks aj
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-10-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
Ian,

I am in the process of getting a wind dam made and am leaning towards your design now as I wouldn't have to mount channels. However, it looks like it would tip forward when you slow down and would rattle around quite a bit as there really isn't anything holding it in place. Does it rattle around?
Thanks!