Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-01-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
This was a 2012 A22, and it did have the new hinged tower legs.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-01-2012, 12:07 PM Reply   
Well, I've raised and lowered my tower several times with 485's on it and I just needed help unhooking the side legs. I was able to raise and lower the tower myself. Was it a biatch? Admittedly, yes.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-01-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
chat. I agree with you completely. I am not knocking Axis at all for all the options customers order. If a customer wants something, you do it. I am just addressing peoples comments about the prices of the axis line being too high, that it is only this way because of all the extras people want. And I have no problem with someone loading up an axis with every option because the boat and wake are legit. I just laugh when people load one up and get near $70k and complain about the interior quality. It is dumb to me. Spend $5-10k more and get a vlx (small boat) and you will have all the interior quality you want... just leave the axis alone, it is a wake boat for riders. I have had my 2011 a22 for 1 year and have no vinyl issues (except for one issue from the factory that is being fixed). I don't want thicker vinyl, I don't want hand wrapped dashes and steering wheels. I want a reliable boat with a reliable wake that holds speed well and takes every bit of weight I throw at it. I give 2 craps that there is plastic dash or glove box or cup holders.

brent- again a valid concern, but not one Axis should spend a single penny or second of time to address. Malibu, MC, CC, Tige, Supra can all have amazing folding towers and spend the time and money to design it. The Axis was designed with a rock solid tower for pulling riders and should leave it that way.

Even with price increases, it is still the best bang for the buck. A true 22 footer with malibu quality in everything EXCEPT vinyl material and the dashes, then subtract the touch screens, power wedge, expensive steering wheel and throttle knob and replace with reliable switches, floating wedge (more reliable by the way) key ignition, normal steering wheel and crappy little ball knob.

My buddy just got a brand new made-to-order 2012 A22 with all options except for the big motor and vandal trailer for $57k out the door, in california.

You can still buy a 2012 optioned like mine for just over $50k out the door.

Last edited by johnny_defacto; 06-01-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-01-2012, 2:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Damnit, I hate it when I type fast and make all sorts of spelling and gramatical errors and then my time runs out to fix them. I'm going to to add that to the hate your boat thread.
Love your passion for Axis, but you have way to much time on your hands! Do you get paid to cruise wakeworld? I hope your employer does not come on here, you might have some explaining to do.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-01-2012, 2:36 PM Reply   
Luckily I'm a partner so there's no one to answer to but myself. Haha.

Sucks when I waste a bunch of time on here because I end up working late to catch up. Oh well!

I wish I got paid to post on here!!!
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-01-2012, 2:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_B View Post
To get back on topic of comparing options with the two boats, will you be dropping the tower often? Do you plan on having tower speakers?

The Axis tower is rock solid when it's up, but if you have any significant weight on it from tower speakers it becomes a 3-man job to drop the tower. If you always leave it up this is not a concern. But when at the dealer I wanted to see how the tower folded on an A22, and it had Wetsounds speakers on it. It took 3 decent sized guys to hold and lower the tower without nearly dropping it or letting one of the folding legs bash something. It was very clearly not something I would want to do more than once. I had no idea it would be that difficult with tower speakers until I actually tried it to see how it went.
LOL... My 100lb wife and I lower and raise our axis tower every time we ride. We have 4 6.5 hlcd speakers so they are not as heavy as heavy as two rev 10s. I am not saying that the tower is easy to put up but a three man job is laughable. I will end up rigging up something where I can lower and raise the tower by myself.
Old    mojo            06-01-2012, 3:21 PM Reply   
I know this is from the beginning of the thread, but good call on pulling a zuckerberg. Since you weren't married when you bought the boat it's yours(unless you set it up otherwise).
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-02-2012, 6:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by elc View Post
LOL... My 100lb wife and I lower and raise our axis tower every time we ride. We have 4 6.5 hlcd speakers so they are not as heavy as heavy as two rev 10s. I am not saying that the tower is easy to put up but a three man job is laughable. I will end up rigging up something where I can lower and raise the tower by myself.
Good for you. Those speakers are tiny compared to what we are discussing here, how much do you think it weighs with a pair of 485's or 410's? There were 2 of us in the boat removing knobs, holding the tower up, moving the rear seat out of the way, and trying to get the tower stand lined up for the tower to rest on since they were worried about it damaging something. To keep the hinged rear legs from flopping around and bashing the gel coat, a 3rd guy outside of the boat got involved to help hold and direct them as we lowered the tower. Of course it can be done with 2 people with some practice. And it would be a bitch to do every single time, just as Chatt confirmed.

So the point is, if you are running heavy tower speakers, and you are folding the tower 2-3 times a week like we are, there is a distinct difference between the Axis and G3 tower. If you don't run big heavy tower speakers, or if you don't fold your tower all the time, than this difference doesn't matter and you will love how solid the Axis tower is. Didn't I say that already?

For another reference point on pricing I pulled out the build sheet from the 2012 A22 I was looking to order:

Standard gel scheme
AR335 base engine
High altitude prop
Dual battery switch
Pull up cleats-2 pair
Flip up drivers bolster seat
Chillax center flip up seat
Drop in cooler
Commercial Sewing Cover
Removable Carpet
Standard bimini top
Plug N Play ballast plumbing
Auto-set Wedge
Depth finder
2-outlet heater
V2 tower upgrade
Quick release tower knobs
2 Swivel board racks
Transom tie downs
Stereo pack 2
Boatmate tandem axle trailer
14” spare tire
Price: $57,700

So not even close to a loaded out boat, just the basic options that most would likely want/need. Base engine, standard gel, no Wetsounds goodies, standard trailer, no Z5, and I was looking at $58k for just the boat and trailer. Out the door price with freight, prep, and 6.75% sales tax was $63k. No internet prices here, these are the numbers straight from my build sheet. We really liked the A22 and I know the wake would have been awesome. I was just expecting a much bigger price difference compared with a Wakesetter that was similarly equipped.
Old     (MikeyG)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-03-2012, 5:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
We really liked the A22 and I know the wake would have been awesome. I was just expecting a much bigger price difference compared with a Wakesetter that was similarly equipped.

Exactly how we felt!!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-03-2012, 5:54 AM Reply   
Slightly off topic but in our area similarly optioned TIGE rzr and rz2 were within 5k of axis, but TIGE is low here and axis is high. A lightly optioned Mxz was 90k at te show with show special discounts
Old     (Sethjoe)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-03-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
So not even close to a loaded out boat, just the basic options that most would likely want/need. Base engine, standard gel, no Wetsounds goodies, standard trailer, no Z5, and I was looking at $58k for just the boat and trailer. Out the door price with freight, prep, and 6.75% sales tax was $63k. No internet prices here, these are the numbers straight from my build sheet. We really liked the A22 and I know the wake would have been awesome. I was just expecting a much bigger price difference compared with a Wakesetter that was similarly equipped.
Was this your dealers build sheet or the manufacturer build sheet?
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-03-2012, 6:01 PM Reply   
Chatt, what do you put in that ls3 for gas. . . does it take regular, mid-grade, or premium?
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-04-2012, 6:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjoe View Post
Was this your dealers build sheet or the manufacturer build sheet?
Dealer build sheet and prices. Same dealer that I then ordered my VLX through, and at a price that I was much happier with. The Axis prices were comparable with 2 other dealers in the region.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-05-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf4242 View Post
Chatt, what do you put in that ls3 for gas. . . does it take regular, mid-grade, or premium?
LS3 requires minimum 91 octane.