Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jdewayne)      Join Date: Jun 2018       10-07-2019, 10:19 AM Reply   
I am looking at a 2007 elite v with the Scorpion motor. Is 900 hr a number I should worry about?

Thanks

JD
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-07-2019, 11:28 AM Reply   
it all comes down to condition condition condition. Sure, 900 hours is considered high by quite a lot of people but as long as the boat is in good mechanical condition along with the rest of the boat there isn't otherwise a lot to be nervous of. I'm at 660hrs on my 09 VE and it runs like a champ.

-Check maintenance records
-How's the interior look, vinyl, carpet? A trashed interior would probably also relate to the maintenance to the boat itself. Most people wouldn't stay on top of one thing and not the other. You either have pride in ownership or not.
-Take it for a test drive.
-Have a mechanic go through it or do a compression test.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-07-2019, 1:22 PM Reply   
I usually don’t worry about hours but that’s a bit on the high side. I’d probably spend a little extra to have my mechanic thoroughly go over the engine before purchase. But if the inspection does check out, I’d buy it and do my best to put another 900 hours on it in the next 12 years.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-08-2019, 12:52 AM Reply   
Agree have a mechanic do a compression check and look it over. But If it's clean and well taken care of I would be scared of it. If it was mileage instead of hours that would be a lot of miles. I can't remember the conversion for that though.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-15-2019, 9:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Agree have a mechanic do a compression check and look it over. But If it's clean and well taken care of I would be scared of it. If it was mileage instead of hours that would be a lot of miles. I can't remember the conversion for that though.
IIRC an hour is like 60 miles maybe? that makes a little sense. so we're talking about 54000 miles if it were a vehicle. but it's not a car and I would go over it extensively. couple hundred for a mechanic to do some diagnostics seems reasonable to avoid problems down the road.

you can expect 2000 hours IF it has been properly maintained, not overheated, all that jazz
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-16-2019, 1:49 AM Reply   
I meant to say wouldn't be alot of miles above ^^^^
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-16-2019, 3:13 PM Reply   
Depends on price and if the boat passes an inspection by a good mechanic. If a boat is well-maintained it could easily go a couple thousand hours without too many problems.
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-17-2019, 3:56 AM Reply   
The Black Scorpion in the family's 97 Sanger V210 is sitting at 2275 hours currently. The majority of those hours over the years are wakeboarding or surfing, not a whole lot of idling and cruising time. The maintenance routine has been oil change, fuel/water separator, and new impeller every year. Distributor cap/rotor and spark plugs as needed. The only issue we've had was a leaky fuel line that was covered under warranty.

In my experience the engine is the easy part. Keeping everything else on a boat maintained requires a lot more effort and upkeep.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       10-18-2019, 2:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagman View Post

In my experience the engine is the easy part. Keeping everything else on a boat maintained requires a lot more effort and upkeep.
This.
Old     (txstang125)      Join Date: May 2015       10-23-2019, 1:30 AM Reply   
I got my 01 concourse this year with 1k hours on black scorpion and all has been well, only problem I had was pick up coil went out I wound definitely do a compression check and when you test dive it run it hard make sure all is good
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-23-2019, 6:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagman View Post
The Black Scorpion in the family's 97 Sanger V210 is sitting at 2275 hours currently. The majority of those hours over the years are wakeboarding or surfing, not a whole lot of idling and cruising time. The maintenance routine has been oil change, fuel/water separator, and new impeller every year. Distributor cap/rotor and spark plugs as needed. The only issue we've had was a leaky fuel line that was covered under warranty.

true, but you can surf/wakeboard/enjoy the boat with a not so perfect interior or stereo, for example. if the engine won't spin, she won't get off the trailer.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-23-2019, 6:58 AM Reply   
What he was saying is any idiot can keep the engine in really good condition. But even the meticulous of boat owner will have a hard time keeping the upholstery in perfect shape at 900 hrs. But if they did then you know they did every thing else right to keep the engine running right.

My boat is 13 years old with 700 hrs. I do all my own maintenance and wipe it down inside and out after every use. It's runs really well.

But My sunpad finally had enough and started dry rotting. So I'm going to replace it this winter. The rest of the Uph. looks great.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-23-2019, 8:34 AM Reply   
a 2007 with 900hrs sounds like a very well mechanically maintained boat that runs great
Old     (elliottdollar)      Join Date: Dec 2007       11-06-2019, 4:21 AM Reply   
I have a 2008 Malibu VLX with 1200 hours and the Monsoon 340 runs great! Expect maintenance costs and find yourself an experienced inboard mechanic. They will help you hit that 2000 hr mark.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       11-25-2019, 12:29 AM Reply   
I’d be more suspicious of a 2007 with 250 hours than one with 900. I have a ‘14 with 780 hours from mostly 2 people just rider and driver