Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kevin)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-03-2012, 2:59 PM Reply   
Does anyone have drawings and measurements of the switchblade system? I see on their website they make a manually adjusted version, anyone ever seen one?
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-04-2012, 8:06 PM Reply   
It's hydraulic,and THEY WORK!!!
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-04-2012, 8:08 PM Reply   
ive seen the manual switchblade at a boat show. the Axis have a manual wedge that you could copy.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-04-2012, 8:17 PM Reply   
Are you planning on making your own? I hope you are well versed in hydro dynamics, fluid dynamics, and are capable of running some sort of CFD program....
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-05-2012, 5:58 AM Reply   
Damn, what happened to the days of supporting the DIY type mentality that grew this website? Now all we do is bitch about who's hull is best or who's women are hotter and beat up people trying their own thing.

Kevin I wish I had some info on the switchblade but we don't have any boats around here running one.
I should be around a older(02) bu with a manual wedge this weekend. I could try getting dimmensions and doing a crude drawing for you.
I have seen a few home made wedges and actually one that had a pivot and actuator that controlled the angle of the flat plate would be quite cool.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-05-2012, 6:04 AM Reply   
agreed. its nothing more than a glorified airplane elevator underwater. like the pitch tabs on a submarine. tilt a flat plate down, it pulls down, tilt it up and it rises. not rocket science. go for it!
i love to see other DIYers on here!

its kinda like the Z-5 biminis, you can buy one for 1200 or make one for 300.
Old     (kevin)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-05-2012, 8:18 AM Reply   
Yeah I haven't committed to anything yet but I'm just trying to get some ideas. I've seen a few on boats around here just need to talk to some of the owners and see what they think. I don't mind having to get out to adjust it so I probably won't do an actuator but if I build something I'll try to make it so I could add an actuator later on.
I've also heard that the switchblade helps with porpoising, can anyone confirm that? Even on the smoothest water we still bounce at high speeds. Thanks in advance.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-05-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
Sorry guys, Id love to be one to jump on the new bandwagon of dudes questioning all the "hate" on wake world, but in this case, there is a bit more to it than you would think. Kevin, go for it, all i am saying is that you should read some info about incompressible aerodynamics, do some research before you jump into it.
Old     (kevin)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-05-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
I'm in the research phase right now. Like I said I haven't committed to anything yet I'm just looking at options and finding out what it would take. Thanks for the concern.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       06-05-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
I know a little about aerodynamics any my suggestion...go for it. Study what is out there, use some common sense, consider the loads that will be imposed on your boat and run some tests. This is not like you are building an airplane.
Old     (kevin)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-05-2012, 11:05 AM Reply   
Yeah if I get around to doing it I will probably make the plate it all mounts to out of 1/2" stainless with a plate on the inside of the transom as well for extra support. How far does the switchblade actually tilt when its up all the way? Its hard to tell from the pictures but I don't think I need it to go to far. If there is anyone in the Utah Valley area that has one and would let me look at one let me know.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-05-2012, 11:50 AM Reply   
I have the blade and did my own install.I will answer all your questions with pics when i get home from work.I think you would be better off buying the mount and making your own blade.would be happy to make you a template
Old     (kevin)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-05-2012, 12:09 PM Reply   
Thanks h20king! Sounds awesome, I still need to do some more research before I get started but a template would be a huge help.
Old     (Tank222)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-05-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Yeah I haven't committed to anything yet but I'm just trying to get some ideas. I've seen a few on boats around here just need to talk to some of the owners and see what they think. I don't mind having to get out to adjust it so I probably won't do an actuator but if I build something I'll try to make it so I could add an actuator later on.
I've also heard that the switchblade helps with porpoising, can anyone confirm that? Even on the smoothest water we still bounce at high speeds. Thanks in advance.
I have one on my boat. 07 Sv230. It defiantly helps shape the wake. It does not help at all with porpoising it actually makes it worse. With it on I can run about 26-28 with people in the boat as well. It's kind of a pain in the ass, to take it on and off. I bent the top of mine two weeks ago when the bottom bolt broke and it was just bouncing around in the water.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-05-2012, 6:19 PM Reply   
I have an 08 Falcon V and have no porpoising with the blade.I installed my system a couple seasons ago and have had zero problems.It does not bother me taking the blade on and off for trailering as it makes a huge difference in the wave for surfing and the wake while wake boarding.I modified the mount so my stock trim tab adjustable arms could be retained The blade would be easy enough to make but you would need to have some plate rolled.It gets a little more tricky with the mount so I would recommend buying one so you have the option to get the retrofit kit in the future and automate your system The travel on the rams is only 15/16" but due to the size and shape of the blade thats all thats needed.Do your research if you decide it's for you PM me and and I can trace the two blade pieces you will need to make one.Here are the pics I promised hope they help
Attached Images

Old     (kevin)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-30-2012, 10:36 AM Reply   
h20king I tried to send you a message on here but I'm not sure if it worked, If you're still willing to trace the blade parts for me let me know and maybe you can just email me. Thanks
Old     (mancho)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-05-2012, 11:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
I have the blade and did my own install.I will answer all your questions with pics when i get home from work.I think you would be better off buying the mount and making your own blade.would be happy to make you a template
Im looking to fabricate my own mount, have any suggestions from this old thread?