Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       04-16-2017, 4:41 PM Reply   
I've got an 03 mobius lsv that I've been trying to go ropeless surfing behind for three trips now. It has 275 ish in each rear locker and 400 in center along with the wake plate and the suck gate. Last time we went out we had another 600lbs in the back in passengers and 400 in bow in passengers and I still couldn't go ropeless.

The pics suck bc the photographer was using a cell phone and wasn't aware of getting a pic of the wake quality.

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       04-16-2017, 5:30 PM Reply   
Only advice I can give you is start increase your skills instead of drinking haha..
Drink your beer on your surf when you gonna be capable to release the rope lol.
you have all the proper things for being capable surfing ropeless, your second pic looks very decent for surfing.
I don't see any problems.. you just have to be better and working on it.
Try to stay near the boat too. The farther you'll be the harder it get.
With your boat and the weight it have try to cruise at 10,4 - 10,6 it's gonna be easier to learn too.
Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       04-16-2017, 7:22 PM Reply   
C D, what kind of board do you have and how tall are you and how much do you weight? have you tried any other boards? That surf wake doesnt look terrible, id say its plenty big enough to let go. You could also get much more weight in the boat and be fine.
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       04-17-2017, 6:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by macpres View Post
C D, what kind of board do you have and how tall are you and how much do you weight? have you tried any other boards? That surf wake doesnt look terrible, id say its plenty big enough to let go. You could also get much more weight in the boat and be fine.
It's a ronix koal 4'5" 2016 model that I was demoing in that pic. Own a ronix marshmallow 2016 model 4'8"

I'm 6-01 225lbs
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       04-17-2017, 6:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
Only advice I can give you is start increase your skills instead of drinking haha..
Haha touché that was more about having fun with the group than progressing in skill.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-17-2017, 6:36 AM Reply   
board balance front to back is pretty far off. look at first pic. you want either your feet closer to nose or a lot weight shift forward. start by moving your feet.
What speed? I found I had to slow down with a suckgate to let the wave develop. Pic 2 looks like your just out driving the curl. slow down, like 9.5 to see what that gives you.
more weight wouldn't hurt. start with your heavy configuration and move people around to know where you need the weight. then add weight there. would guess more in bow, but thats just a guess
Old     (Summer225)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-17-2017, 10:04 AM Reply   
I agree with Nacho, seems like you need more weight on your front foot, you seem to be leaning too far back. Try a little more weight on your front foot, square your shoulders to the wave and lean slightly into the wave and forward.......when you get frustrated, pop another cold one and chill, then try again
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       04-17-2017, 2:46 PM Reply   
Put 1100's in your rear lockers and another 600 in the bow.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-17-2017, 3:29 PM Reply   
You've got hardly any weight. I mean seriously, 950 pounds in ballast? That's it?

I run more than that in just one of my bags. I've almost always got 3000 pounds of ballst +/-.

I have a 2008 Moomba XLV.

That said, there's 3 things that will influence your ability to ride w/o the rope:
  1. Wave
  2. Board
  3. Skill

The wave is influenced by your boat, your speed, and your ballast.
The board you have will impact how stable you are, but more importantly how fast the board goes and how much energy in the wave it needs to keep you going.
And your skill level will determine a lot. Any two of the 3 items can help make up for the 3rd, but If you're lacking in more than one area you will struggle.

For example, I've surfed a Tige 22v with NO ballast and just 3 guys in the boat. It was tough but I have a really fast board and I've been doing this for a few years.

I've also went ropeless on my son's 3'6" phase 5 scamp. that thing was TINY! lol. but I was messing around and wanted to prove I could.

The ronix is okay. Not incredibly fast, just middle of the road. so the biggest thing you can do to help yourself out is get more ballast. Because a clean wave with no power (push) behind it isn't going to do you any favors...

You should be able to slack the rope consistently. holding on with almost 1 finger. you should be making VERY subtle movements with your feet to move forward and back in the pocket. Not burying your back foot and yanking on the rope to keep yourself from falling off the back. Before you have any business trying to ride ropeless, you should be able to maintain control with the rope slacked and in one hand while exploring the front and rear edges of the pocket. and when the time comes to drop the rope, do just that DROP IT, don't THROW it. if you throw it, your body positioning completely changes and you're likely to fall out of the wave because you messed yourself up trying to toss it. just drop it lightly to the other side of the wave and have someone in the boat pull it in.

Last edited by trayson; 04-17-2017 at 3:32 PM.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-17-2017, 5:11 PM Reply   
Not enough ballast by a long shot.
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       04-18-2017, 6:47 AM Reply   
at 225lbs am I think a 4'5" board is too small for that wave.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-19-2017, 6:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamer View Post
at 225lbs am I think a 4'5" board is too small for that wave.
I agree on the small board issue. I think a bigger board would really help you. The comments on weight on the board are good as well, try moving your feet up on the board to shift your weight forward. Remember, back-foot brake, front foot gas. With more weight forward you will be on the gas more.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-19-2017, 7:28 AM Reply   
You are too big for both those boards, especially for learning how to manage releasing the rope. You are also too big for those boards on those wakes.
The wakes have no lip, light transition, and in at least two of the pictures you are way too far back. In the first pic you are gouging the wake (often too much weight on the rear foot); to ride rope free on one of those board you will have to work the wake, you will need to be pumping up and down on the top half of that little wall, driving toward the boat. Not standing erect waiting for the board and wake to react.

Easiest thing to do is get a good board sized for you from people that know how to design and build wakesurfboards.

These are the board you need, you will be ropeless on you first try.

http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboards/chaos-ringer-xl

http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboards/chaos-sixer

Nick
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-19-2017, 9:23 AM Reply   
Everything on a surf board especially when learning is a delayed movement. When you push your front foot down it takes a second to get the full effect of the movement that you made. Therefore, slow everything down. I call it 1" movements and otherwise "it's all in the hips baby" In the pictures you are pushing your butt out the back. Roll your hips under you a bit more like you were trying to pee on the wake.lol. You are going straight behind the boat but to stay there you have to keep your weight more on your toe's as you are actually doing a constant toe side turn. Think skateboarding or snowboarding.

As others said.

1)Board is too small. I'm the same size as you. Started on a 5'6" hyperlite broadcast and now on a 4'9" soulcraft.
2) More Ballast
3) You're too far back. Come in at least half the distance. I have the same rope and took out 2-3 sections.
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-19-2017, 2:22 PM Reply   
get close to 2500 lbs in there and you should be good
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       04-19-2017, 2:27 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips so far guys. It's actually supposed to be a board for my wife she's learning as well so I want it to be perfect for her first priority. Am looking into swapping out to 750lbs bags in each rear locker first then a bow bag.

Will also work on the footing and technique!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-29-2017, 9:10 AM Reply   
Try to put 60% of your weight on your front big toe. will help the board track a bit better. once you get your wave dialed (bigger and firm)you'll be able to feel the pocket and find the sweet spot.

go for 1100s. Nobody ever said "I wish my ballast and wave were smaller"
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       04-29-2017, 9:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Try to put 60% of your weight on your front big toe. will help the board track a bit better. once you get your wave dialed (bigger and firm)you'll be able to feel the pocket and find the sweet spot.

Don't think 1100s would fit. Just got 810s in the mail yesterday
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-29-2017, 12:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post

This right here. When someone told me this I got it right away.
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       04-29-2017, 6:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
You are too big for both those boards, especially for learning how to manage releasing the rope. You are also too big for those boards on those wakes.
The wakes have no lip, light transition, and in at least two of the pictures you are way too far back. In the first pic you are gouging the wake (often too much weight on the rear foot); to ride rope free on one of those board you will have to work the wake, you will need to be pumping up and down on the top half of that little wall, driving toward the boat. Not standing erect waiting for the board and wake to react.

Easiest thing to do is get a good board sized for you from people that know how to design and build wakesurfboards.

These are the board you need, you will be ropeless on you first try.

http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboards/chaos-ringer-xl

http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboards/chaos-sixer

Nick
Ya I knew I was way back in those pics. I added them to try to get the wake in there without me in the way.
Old     (21vride)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-30-2017, 6:27 AM Reply   
https://www.inlandsurfer.com/red-rocket this will help
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       05-05-2017, 4:43 PM Reply   
2 810lb bags in rear lockers about 75% full and reopeless was easy!
Now I think I need a new prop though!
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-05-2017, 8:10 PM Reply   
Just imagine if you actually dialed in your wave.
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       05-14-2017, 6:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmods View Post
Just imagine if you actually dialed in your wave.
What's are the steps for that?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-15-2017, 8:35 AM Reply   
test a bunch of different weight setups until you've got it throwing the best wave possible. you need more weight in the front so it gets peaky.
Old     (mikeman1)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-11-2017, 7:49 AM Reply   
Newbie question. Just bought a Malibu and the wake surf settings for the autoconfiguration do not fill up my front ballast. Until reading this thread, we've been surfing with it empty. I assume now that you want every ballast full-even the front, right?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-11-2017, 8:16 AM Reply   
Weight in the front will make the wave longer. Also it will let you increase your speed which will make your wave longer.