Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (BigWakeDan)      Join Date: Sep 2015       10-02-2015, 9:06 AM Reply   
Hello all! I'm back, after a hiatus...

I'd like input from boat owners and prospective buyers/sellers in regards to a boats true value, taking into account hours, condition, aesthetic appeal, performance, and how boat was used.

I have a 2007 Malibu VLX (Wakesetter) that is orange/black/white, with all the bells and whistles, upgraded stereo/equalizer/pa system, additional batteries with onboard charger, perko, jl speakers, alpine amp, 4000 lumen blue light (transom plug light), upgraded surf/wakeboard racks, upgraded prop, Etc.

Mechanically, there is nothing wrong, very good sounding and performing boat. In dame monsoon 340 motor, oil changes every 100 hr, impeller change every 150, cap/rotor/spark plug change every 300 hr, and this schedule was based on boats use (average 6-8 hrs/day...3-6 times/wk. Annual average - 250 to 300 hrs)

Boats use was 40% wake surfing utilizing ballast tanks, 25% Wakeboarding, 35% just motoring around, mostly at trolling speeds under 10 mph. As the boat was used year round here in Arizona, it was washed and detailed every single day it was used, garage kept, and never left on the water. It has been meticulously maintained and very loved.

So with all that being said, I've considered getting into a brand new boat with the newer ballast systems to better my surfing, which means I'm selling this one. It seems most dealers use NADA Boat Guides for their valuation. My boat, according to NADA, has a value range of $38,800 to $44,300 (low $ and average $) and then a suggested list price of $57,000.

I've spoken with several Malibu dealers and wholesale sellers, all of whom tell me my sale price of $34,000 is very appropriate, and on the low end of what they would sell and close on it. But, the old everlasting "1000 hr" fear is ever so present. I do know the type of boat, the way it's used, the way it's taken care of, and the location of use as well as frequency of use all play a large role in whether a boat gets 1000 hrs or 2000 hrs before major engine work.

I've been told my engine has the condition of one with 350-400 hrs. I've also been told my overall boat looks 3-4 years old. I've worked hard to make that the case...BUT, am I just stuck at lowball offers purely and totally based on having 1000 hrs? I'm no pro at selling boats, but I do know that when boats are taken care of properly, they can easily se 1500-2000 hrs before even the thought of engine work or replacement.

Please give me your thoughts on price, hrs, condition, etc. personally, I figured $4k under the lowest value for this excellent condition boat would be a steal for someone lol