Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (WakesurfMedia)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-27-2017, 8:58 AM Reply   
Hey y'all!

We wanted to start putting together a list, by year, of wakesurfing manufacturers and the models they offer. We literally just started but we'd love for folks to chime in with anything we've missed!

It's still growing, but here's where it's at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing (note the year tabs at the bottom of the sheet)

Thanks in advance!!

Old     (WakeSurf22)      Join Date: Dec 2016       10-06-2017, 6:52 AM Reply   
Shortbus
IDol
Old     (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-13-2017, 8:12 PM Reply   
We love it ,,,And the prices...
Old     (WakesurfMedia)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-26-2017, 3:27 PM Reply   
Did a little updating. Still missing anyone?

Black Revolt
Blu Surf
Brigade
Byerly
Chaos Surf Co.
Connelly
Doomswell
Hyperlite
Idol
Inland Surfer
Jackpine
Kanuk
LipSnap
Liquid Force
Obrien
Phase Five
Ronix
Shortbus
Soulcraft
Soulcraft
Victoria
Waterloo Surf Craft
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-27-2017, 10:13 AM Reply   
Ryan, Depends on what defines a 'brand'? Volume?, Social Media account?, website?.
Almost every US state has some startup/garage brand vying for a tiny piece of the market. States like Texas which have a rich history in surfing and wake sports have many small operations.
There are also a number of small Canadian, Australian, South American, Mexican, Russian/Former Soviet States, European, Korean, Japanese, Thailand, and Chinese brands. They are as ubiquitous as start up media groups. Every kid with a drone, go pro and laptop seems to think they are going to capture some sort of branding or marketing presence.

The market is dominated by 4 wakeboard brands. The other wakeboard brands split up the bulk of the spoils, with a couple wakesurf specific brands doing well to hold their own.

I started a list back in 2008, with the idea of trying to quantify volume of boards sold. Unfortunately there is no hard data, so it is only speculative.
Attached is a screen shot of the 2011 version of the list. I stopped updating around 2012 as I lost interest in the exercise. Most of the small 'brands' currently vying for the market did not exist in 2011 or were too small to even really consider and of course in 2008 it was a much simpler estimation. You also have a few skim brands or surfboard brands that attempt a run a wake group every year. In general these do better than typical inland garage brands; they don't usually know how to make a good wakesurfer, but they know how to copy and actually know how to produce a quality finished board.

Nick
Attached Images

Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       10-27-2017, 10:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Ryan, Depends on what defines a 'brand'? Volume?, Social Media account?, website?.
Almost every US state has some startup/garage brand vying for a tiny piece of the market. States like Texas which have a rich history in surfing and wake sports have many small operations.
There are also a number of small Canadian, Australian, South American, Mexican, Russian/Former Soviet States, European, Korean, Japanese, Thailand, and Chinese brands. They are as ubiquitous as start up media groups. Every kid with a drone, go pro and laptop seems to think they are going to capture some sort of branding or marketing presence.

The market is dominated by 4 wakeboard brands. The other wakeboard brands split up the bulk of the spoils, with a couple wakesurf specific brands doing well to hold their own.

I started a list back in 2008, with the idea of trying to quantify volume of boards sold. Unfortunately there is no hard data, so it is only speculative.
Attached is a screen shot of the 2011 version of the list. I stopped updating around 2012 as I lost interest in the exercise. Most of the small 'brands' currently vying for the market did not exist in 2011 or were too small to even really consider and of course in 2008 it was a much simpler estimation. You also have a few skim brands or surfboard brands that attempt a run a wake group every year. In general these do better than typical inland garage brands; they don't usually know how to make a good wakesurfer, but they know how to copy and actually know how to produce a quality finished board.

Nick
Nick!

You need to add my name since I have made 5 boards!!!! only one my friends love the one I made for them, the rest are now décor. I only ride my CHAOS.

That's a interesting list for sure! You should have added a column for Podium visits!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-27-2017, 11:11 AM Reply   
That is another area that evolved a lot over the years. We saw a huge rise in competitive events, then it plateaued and it seems to be on the downslide in many regions.
In the past there were a few grassroot events, with a couple 'major' events. Divisions were small and simple. Basically, Open or Pro level/Amateur and style. Top podiums were dominated by Shred Stixx and Walker Project for years. As competitive wakesurfing grew, small brands started giving away boards to prospective riders. Soon amateur riders were given free boards, some even have boards that are considered their "pro" board model. I am not sure how you can have a Pro board model but be an amateur rider. The old guard pros felt this was insulting. There was no criteria for a pro model. No longer did you have to win a Professional world championship or some equivalent. Wakesurf a couple years, compete in a couple events, and some brand is sure to want to give you free ****. Small brands assembled followers or groupies through bro deals. Fake it till you make it.

Nick
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-27-2017, 4:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakesurfMedia View Post
Did a little updating. Still missing anyone?

Black Revolt
Blu Surf
Brigade
Byerly
Chaos Surf Co.
Connelly
Doomswell
Hyperlite
Idol
Inland Surfer
Jackpine
Kanuk
LipSnap
Liquid Force
Obrien
Phase Five
Ronix
Shortbus
Soulcraft
Soulcraft
Victoria
Waterloo Surf Craft

You can add me to your list.
Attached Images

Old     (WakesurfMedia)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-29-2017, 2:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Excellent question! We were sort of thinking whoever is engaged in actively offering wakesurfers for sale using whatever platform they have available. I’m positive the list will be fluid, and never complete, but we figured the more info we’re able to put out there the better. If someone is willing to give it a shot we’re willing to add them to the list!
Old     (WakesurfMedia)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-29-2017, 2:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewkettle View Post
You can add me to your list.
Updated!
Old     (WakesurfMedia)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-03-2017, 12:19 PM Reply   
Updated again, added Tuk Tuk a few days ago.
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-08-2017, 4:53 PM Reply   
Interesting subject. Jeff at Inland Surfer
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-08-2017, 5:10 PM Reply   
Lib tech
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       11-09-2017, 5:01 AM Reply   
Triple X - love our board
Old     (muehlcj)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-12-2017, 12:38 PM Reply   
http://southernsurfest.com/2017-wakesurf-board-reviews/
Old     (WakesurfMedia)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-14-2017, 6:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Lib tech
See, I thought about them! I just couldn't find something that was branded as a wakesurf specific board. I know Aaron Witherell was riding one so they seem to be working on it!