Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-22-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1406043068144.jpg
Views: 5533
Size:  102.5 KB boat just arrived at local dealer.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-22-2014, 8:56 AM Reply   
Which boat?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-22-2014, 8:58 AM Reply   
I wished they would have at least made the ski pilon metal. This is a step back for Malibu. Really, a 2x4 as a ski pilon. It is in the way too!!!

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-22-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
get the tower up and snap a shot!
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       07-22-2014, 9:31 AM Reply   
Rachel (Malibu Electrical Engineer) did a good job on the new dash design.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-22-2014, 9:35 AM Reply   
23lsv but the new 22mxz had same dash.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-22-2014, 9:42 AM Reply   
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-22-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
Looks like a phone holder to the left of the wheel?
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-22-2014, 10:18 AM Reply   
Looks really clean , I would love this if I was left handed.. Always drives nuts having to reach across my dash while driving. Will be interesting to see how this works as a system, but that phone holder is genius !
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-22-2014, 10:35 AM Reply   
A phone holder is actually a brilliant idea. Malibu makes really nice layouts.
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-22-2014, 2:02 PM Reply   
interesting set up. curious to see how the display works. seems rather high up and might obstruct view? hard to tell from the angle of the pics i guess
Old     (cgilliland)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-22-2014, 2:45 PM Reply   
looks like nautique
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-22-2014, 3:25 PM Reply   
What's the deal with the new supra se and Malibu having such similar steering wheels?? looks like they shared the same parts bin. I'm not a fan of the single floating look type wheel Malibu had a few years ago but at least nobody else had it.
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-22-2014, 4:20 PM Reply   
Wow what a fail of a post... turn on the dash and get back to us
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-22-2014, 5:06 PM Reply   
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406073981.727755.jpg
Views: 6812
Size:  139.3 KB
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-22-2014, 5:33 PM Reply   
Looks like no analog gauges at all. I like the size of that big screen though.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-22-2014, 6:45 PM Reply   
Feel bad for the poor guy 6 years from now who buys these boats that have analog nothing. I mean dont get me wrong, it is really nice and cool and all that but how reliable are these gonna be down the road
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-22-2014, 7:51 PM Reply   
Looks like a tablet sitting on a dash? Does it automatically fold away or something? Not very sleek?
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-22-2014, 8:22 PM Reply   
I believe it raises and lowers
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-22-2014, 8:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
What's the deal with the new supra se and Malibu having such similar steering wheels?? looks like they shared the same parts bin. I'm not a fan of the single floating look type wheel Malibu had a few years ago but at least nobody else had it.
Supra has had that steering wheel for a few years now. Apparently Malibu decided to copy them this year
Old     (bspot5)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-22-2014, 10:04 PM Reply   
It definitely does not raise and lower, looks very cool, function ummmm not so cool.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-22-2014, 10:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspot5 View Post
It definitely does not raise and lower, looks very cool, function ummmm not so cool.

Are you 100% sure on this?
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-23-2014, 5:58 AM Reply   
WOW... that looks sick
Old    rullery            07-23-2014, 7:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
Feel bad for the poor guy 6 years from now who buys these boats that have analog nothing. I mean dont get me wrong, it is really nice and cool and all that but how reliable are these gonna be down the road
Not only how reliable will they be, but how much the interface/screen/technology will look dated down the road compared to everything else in the boat. in 10 years, the boat might still look great, but the technology will have outdated itself 4 times over.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-23-2014, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rullery View Post
Not only how reliable will they be, but how much the interface/screen/technology will look dated down the road compared to everything else in the boat. in 10 years, the boat might still look great, but the technology will have outdated itself 4 times over.

That's why they make software updates.
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-23-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
X2. Ford always changed up the features and looks of their button layouts. Every few years was like getting a new vehicle. - all the new issues that came with the new updates though
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-23-2014, 10:28 AM Reply   
I too was hoping for a picture with a bunch of analog gauges.
Old     (bspot5)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-23-2014, 10:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
Are you 100% sure on this?
99.99% sure. Look at the dash molding in the first picture. It all looks part of the dash, and you would think it would be down when power is off like in the first picture?
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-23-2014, 10:45 AM Reply   
I have yet to see them introduce new feature, graphics and options in the software and than just give it to past customers with older boats for free. I think in the future the new software and features will go in hand with a new boat. Look how many different screens and interfaces Malibu/MC/Supra have already had in the past 8 years. Those mono chrome LCD displays look pretty outdated already.

I just wouldn't count on future software updates to keep up with changing times, more for bug fixes than anything.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-23-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
I would not even consider that boat with that dash.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-23-2014, 12:46 PM Reply   
I've always loved how integrated the older Malibu dashes were. These new dashes look so strange with just a huge block of a screen stacked on top. I guess I see the benefit of not tappering it down from the sides as you gain visability making it a stand alone rectangle, but it looks ugly to me.
Old     (Ride)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-23-2014, 1:02 PM Reply   
I don't like it at all.
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-23-2014, 3:02 PM Reply   
It does not flow! It would not be a deal killer, but it reminds me of the old ski boat dash minus the screens.
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-23-2014, 3:46 PM Reply   
Looks like an Ugly version of the X-Star screen.
Old     (malibu23lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-23-2014, 6:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
I too was hoping for a picture with a bunch of analog gauges.
Then you need to buy an AXIS.
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-23-2014, 6:25 PM Reply   
IMO the AXIS is the ugliest boat on the lake. They really need to change up the racks on them
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-24-2014, 7:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockballer View Post
IMO the AXIS is the ugliest boat on the lake. They really need to change up the racks on them

Of course that's just a joke, but seriously everyone who I've ever met complements the hell out of my boat.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-24-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
I would imagine that firing up those monitors would instantly cause all the girls bikinis to fly off.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-24-2014, 9:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Your opinion. Axis sales numbers beg to differ!
Quote:
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-24-2014, 10:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Supra has had that steering wheel for a few years now. Apparently Malibu decided to copy them this year
Members of the product team left Malibu and went to Supra. Hence the SA looking nearly identical to the MXZ. I know that doesn't explain why Supra introduced that wheel before Malibu, but it does explain the striking similarities between the boats. It's unlikely that Malibu copied anything from Supra.

Last edited by jarrod; 07-24-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-24-2014, 10:57 AM Reply   
Looks like the same steering wheel that's also in the G series..
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-24-2014, 11:00 AM Reply   
That dash looks weird. Kind of like the navigation in a friends new BMW X1. It just looks like they bolted a screen/pod to the dash.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-24-2014, 4:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Members of the product team left Malibu and went to Supra. Hence the SA looking nearly identical to the MXZ. I know that doesn't explain why Supra introduced that wheel before Malibu, but it does explain the striking similarities between the boats. It's unlikely that Malibu copied anything from Supra.
The thing is, they're not even the same steering wheel. Look at both of them closely. They are both 3 pronged wheels, but on the supra's have chrome on the outside and black leather on the inside. On the malibu they look like some kind of brushed finish and are hollow through the middle (not saying one is better or worse, they're just different steering wheels).
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       07-24-2014, 7:37 PM Reply   
No offense to anyone who has one but I am glad I have my old 06 with plain boring analog gauges with a tiny little lcd screen
in the center. When these things die it's gonna take a nasa engineer to fix them, lol.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-24-2014, 8:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeno1 View Post
No offense to anyone who has one but I am glad I have my old 06 with plain boring analog gauges with a tiny little lcd screen
in the center. When these things die it's gonna take a nasa engineer to fix them, lol.

The people that have the dough to buy these boats either -
A. Do not keep them long enough to encounter these problems
B. Are not really affected financially when a repair needs to be made
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-24-2014, 8:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Not sure how you think these two are "nearly identical"

Side by side, the entire shape of the SA and MXZ are different. The SA has a bend in the rubrail to create an hourglass shape where as the MXZ is straight without any bends. The rear seating is different, the color patterns, interior design, towers etc. You see the three points of the picklefork at the front and automatically assume they look alike without even looking at the rest of the boat.

If you want to see a boat that copied the MXZ then check out the new MB Tomcat
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-25-2014, 2:53 AM Reply   
Looks like a view killer to me. Nice but not very sleek in my opinion.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-25-2014, 4:54 AM Reply   
I'm guessing this is a joke and it just doesn't have the gauges installed yet. Probably the smaller screen to the right is the actual screen that comes with it to display PP/temps/etc.? Can't imagine why anyone would want a big LCD on a wake boat, especially to display images of gauges.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-25-2014, 5:26 AM Reply   
It's interesting...

Last edited by Bamabonners; 07-25-2014 at 5:33 AM.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-25-2014, 7:58 AM Reply   
The real question is who's going to post the first pics of the g4 tower?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-25-2014, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post

Solving problems by rubbing money on them is the easy part for some but you still have to deal with the time-suck process.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-25-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
I'm guessing this is a joke and it just doesn't have the gauges installed yet. Probably the smaller screen to the right is the actual screen that comes with it to display PP/temps/etc.? Can't imagine why anyone would want a big LCD on a wake boat, especially to display images of gauges.
I don't see any indication of this being a joke. A Malibu dealer posted those pictures and that screen looks to be a manufactured part of the dash.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-25-2014, 1:41 PM Reply   
not a joke, its the real dash....you're welcome
Old     (malibu23lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-25-2014, 5:05 PM Reply   
The new screen sizes and dash layout are going to make all the other OE brands look like they don't know what they're doing. Especially the CC Murphy setup, flipping between screens is so frustrating. MC probably won't make much of an improvement either since they are still using Murphy as well. Looks like Medallion has really stepped it up.
Old     (LeeG23)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-25-2014, 6:20 PM Reply   
I have G23 for 2 years now. Flipping thru screens sometimes lil annoying but we gotta b splitting hairs at this point. Push one button to fill ballast. Push button to go back to main screen. Not that cumbersome but could be better absolutely.
Old     (LeeG23)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-25-2014, 6:27 PM Reply   
I honestly think Xstar has best layout of any boat I've been in
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-26-2014, 5:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu23lsv View Post
Looks like Medallion has really stepped it up.

Medallion should have spent more time on reliability, rather than coolness factor. Medallion systems have been 10x as unreliable as Murphy in the past 5 years. I wish Malibu would switch to Murphy. Medallion is garbage, and this system will probably step the nightmares to a whole new level.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-26-2014, 8:34 AM Reply   
Why can't I just have switches and analog....
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-26-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
Your opinion. Axis sales numbers beg to differ!
Yup and the 2 different cops that have pulled me over towing (only to look) my A22 and the 1 cop that pulled me over towing my A24 making compliments...plus everyone at the gas pump or the non-boat owners who walk up to me at the beach area and the water popo then there's the ladies at the stop lights making compliments. This is just my opinion and what I've experienced though.
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-26-2014, 9:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
And where I boat:
C. Never tow ANYTHING
Old     (cgilliland)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-27-2014, 7:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Not sure how you think these two are "nearly identical"

Side by side, the entire shape of the SA and MXZ are different. The SA has a bend in the rubrail to create an hourglass shape where as the MXZ is straight without any bends. The rear seating is different, the color patterns, interior design, towers etc. You see the three points of the picklefork at the front and automatically assume they look alike without even looking at the rest of the boat.

If you want to see a boat that copied the MXZ then check out the new MB Tomcat
I don't see the resemblance either, but I do see a resemblance in the line up. SA=22MXZ, SE=24MXZ, SC=VLX but deeper, and SG=23LSV
Old     (cgilliland)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-27-2014, 7:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
I own the Supra, and I think that the Malibu version looks higher quality. there are a couple spots where the Malibu clearly did a better job, this one and the bracket that holds up the rear facing seat, IMO

Weird Malibu changed because I thought the last LSV wheel was the best ever on any boat.
Old     (cgilliland)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-27-2014, 7:53 PM Reply   
I know it's a dumb thing to get hung up on but for me the worst part of Malibu is the forward sweeping G3 tower. It looks too high and hangs the small bmini way up there where it does no good. this is an area nautique and supra are doing well, with the Roswell - and Z5
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-27-2014, 11:21 PM Reply   
Clayton, how much time have you spent in a Malibu with the G3 and Bimini deployed? There Bimini is one of the larger sizes out there covering a majority of lounge area. The reason it sits higher is so people like me who are over 6 feet tall don't hit there head on it while standing up. I had a Z5 in my first boat and always bumped my head on it, personally for me I am glad Malibu has this type of Bimini.

The new dash, I like the functionality over last year, however, I think they could have done a much better job of integrating it into the dash better. At least put a trim piece around it to match the MTC. My favorite dash to date is in the new supra SA , SC, and SE, so we'll thought out (toggle and touch screen redundancy, analog gauges) and it flows so nicely.
Old     (cgilliland)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-28-2014, 5:40 AM Reply   
true Z5 too low for taller peeps. I've not been inside G3/bimini very often only a couple of times, it's just the way it looked to me
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       07-29-2014, 7:19 AM Reply   
More useless stuff to break...
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-29-2014, 11:24 AM Reply   
Not a fan of those at all. Maybe for stuff like auto ballast, perfect pass, stereo, water temp, etc. But for all my vitals I'll take an analog gauge any day. A lot less to go wrong when you need to keep an eye on the important stuff.
Old     (malibu23lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-29-2014, 3:01 PM Reply   
You guys need to give it up on the "analog" gauges or settle for buying 15 year old product from now on. Even the today's "analog" gauges have software built into them in case you didn't know. The days of cable shift, carbonated engines, cable throttle, cable cruise control, CD players, 8 track tapes are long gone. So get over it because you don't know what you are asking for. Boats are not going to get more simple, in fact it's the opposite and I'm tired of you guys cluttering up the forums with the "analog" garbage. People that actually have money want the technology.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-29-2014, 4:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
The new dash, I like the functionality over last year, however, I think they could have done a much better job of integrating it into the dash better. At least put a trim piece around it to match the MTC. My favorite dash to date is in the new supra SA , SC, and SE, so we'll thought out (toggle and touch screen redundancy, analog gauges) and it flows so nicely.

I agree. They could have made it flow better.

I still just can't get over why people love all those damn toggle switches on the Supra's. To me, that would be like Ford installing fixed steps and motorized steps on my Limited.

Does the screen do everything that the toggle switches do? If so, why not hide all of those damn things!?

Make the panels where the switches are spring loaded with a latch. When you don't want or need to use them, you have a nice, clean helm. When you do, you press the panel, it flips around and you can finger the switches all you want.

I'm pretty sure we had a JVC VCR when I was a kid that had some hidden panels to conceal unnecessary buttons and switches you didn't need due to the sweet wired remote.
Old     (tjklein)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-29-2014, 5:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu23lsv View Post
You guys need to give it up on the "analog" gauges or settle for buying 15 year old product from now on. Even the today's "analog" gauges have software built into them in case you didn't know. The days of cable shift, carbonated engines, cable throttle, cable cruise control, CD players, 8 track tapes are long gone. So get over it because you don't know what you are asking for. Boats are not going to get more simple, in fact it's the opposite and I'm tired of you guys cluttering up the forums with the "analog" garbage. People that actually have money want the technology.
Wow. You sound like an idiot.

Well, I actually have money (highest US tax bracket), bought a new LSV with a LSA motor and I'm having the dash ripped out and analog gauges put in to work hand and hand with the current digital gauges. (over the winter when the seasons done)

Believe it or not there are people with money that buy classic cars because they like the simplicity of them. Don't get me wrong - I love technology - but there's something nice about the analog gauges and I'm not the only one who feels that way. The 2014 dash isn't great and the 2015 while much improved isn't perfect IMO.

Take care.

TK
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-29-2014, 6:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjklein View Post
Wow. You sound like an idiot.

Well, I actually have money (highest US tax bracket), bought a new LSV with a LSA motor and I'm having the dash ripped out and analog gauges put in to work hand and hand with the current digital gauges. (over the winter when the seasons done)

Believe it or not there are people with money that buy classic cars because they like the simplicity of them. Don't get me wrong - I love technology - but there's something nice about the analog gauges and I'm not the only one who feels that way. The 2014 dash isn't great and the 2015 while much improved isn't perfect IMO.

Take care.

TK

Pics or it didn't happen. And nobody believes you.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-29-2014, 6:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
well, i actually have money (highest us tax bracket), bought a new lsv with a lsa motor and i'm having the dash ripped out and analog gauges put in to work hand and hand with the current digital gauges. (over the winter when the seasons done)

tk
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406682719.390061.jpg
Views: 2552
Size:  53.7 KB
Old     (malibu23lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-29-2014, 6:29 PM Reply   
You are the exception but MC, CC and BU aren't building classic boats. The people that are purchasing these boats are also buying BMW, Mecedes, Lexus, etc with digital screens and tons of electronics. I have one of these cars and there are 1/2 a dozen auto features that don't work anymore but most people understand that eventually something is going to quit working. I know this because those people keep buying new high end cars and not a 60's Cadillac. Everything is trending that way so no point in complaining. If you told Mercedes to quit using touch screens and go back to analog gauges they would call you the idiot. Know the market dude.
Old     (tjklein)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-29-2014, 6:54 PM Reply   
Greg,

I totally agree with you on the car thing. I just wish Malibu would have kept some sort of analog gauges and saying "people with money" only want digital gauges just isn't true. That's all I'm saying. I can't view RPMs and speed on the same screen with the crappy '14 helm. I just took some offense to the "people with money" all want digital gauges. No harm, no foul.

Chase - That's not what I was saying. But, I can appreciate your ability to post the same picture 3 times in a row. Well done.

PS I said after the season is done. I don't have to prove I have the boat, or the motor, you can find those. The gauges going in are auto meter marine, pro-comps. Tach, RPM, Boost/Vac, and Voltmeter to monitor the stereo batteries. They will be mostly positioned like the 2013 helm. Cost to have it done isn't as bad as you'd think...about $2500...less than most Malibu options and definitely cheaper than buying a 2015 boat.
Old     (tjklein)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-29-2014, 6:56 PM Reply   
And I'd never own a 60's Caddy! :-)
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-29-2014, 7:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Greg,

I totally agree with you on the car thing. I just wish Malibu would have kept some sort of analog gauges and saying "people with money" only want digital gauges just isn't true. That's all I'm saying. I can't view RPMs and speed on the same screen with the crappy '14 helm. I just took some offense to the "people with money" all want digital gauges. No harm, no foul.

Chase - That's not what I was saying. But, I can appreciate your ability to post the same picture 3 times in a row. Well done.

PS I said after the season is done. I don't have to prove I have the boat, or the motor, you can find those. The gauges going in are auto meter marine, pro-comps. Tach, RPM, Boost/Vac, and Voltmeter to monitor the stereo batteries. They will be mostly positioned like the 2013 helm. Cost to have it done isn't as bad as you'd think...about $2500...less than most Malibu options and definitely cheaper than buying a 2015 boat.

I agree not having the analogs is a bad choice . My lsv had engine issues and not being able to compare rpms to mph made it tough to trouble shoot
Old     (malibu23lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-29-2014, 7:25 PM Reply   
It looks like RPM and MPH are on the same screen from the photo above. Problem solved without analog gauges.
Old     (tjklein)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-29-2014, 8:02 PM Reply   
The problem has been solved for 2015 as the 2014 helm should have never been sold without analog gauges as it is really just the '13 screen.

It's a preference thing just as some people prefer digital watches over mechanical watches. The digital does the job better, but there's something neat about a mechanical timepiece. To each their own...both work well.

(yes, I know the boat gauges are actually electric)
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-29-2014, 10:35 PM Reply   
to be fair, I have a 2014 VLX and my RPM gauge quit on me, only 13 hours in the boat. Stuff happens to everythuing
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-30-2014, 12:52 AM Reply   
I personally like the analog gauges and switches for one big reason. Muscle memory. You can change fill sacks, control your radio, do your lights, whatever you want by touch and keep your eyes on the water without messing around in a bunch of menus and screens that need visual confirmation to do anything.
Yeah, all that stuff is fancy, flashy, cutting edge, and nice. Yes it is progress, same as all the new setups like that in cars, on your phones, etc. Everything is moving to touchscreen if it hasn't already and it is the future. However it can also distract you, which is a bad thing in a moving vehicle.
I remember back in the day when I had a phone with an actual keypad and the T9 texting, I could fire off texts to someone without even looking at the phone, in my pocket if I needed to, or while driving without taking my eyes or other hand away from what I was doing.
Fast forward to a touchscreen. I cannot do that anymore, If I try that with auto correct on, it comes out with a completely different message. With auto correct off, it comes out looking like someone was mad and just punching the keyboard. A touchscreen is a big improvement over hard buttons, but it requires more of your attention to use it.

Now if there were a button to press that activated voice control, in addition to the touchscreens, that'd be awesome and I would get behind that. Assuming it filtered out background noise well and was pretty accurate on taking your commands, it would minimize the distraction part.
-Voice control button
-Setup Port Surf
-*ballasts fill, surf system switches to port configuration, wake plate/wedge moves accordingly, perfect pass sets to preset speed

-Voice control button
-Music, playlist surfing on shuffle
-*playlist loaded from iPod in shuffle mode, music starts playing*