Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-14-2014, 6:14 PM Reply   
Title says it all

Wakeboard 65-70% of time, surf 20% and 10 slalom. Bout 5 of your basic inverts Which do you think handles bigger water better? What would you choose and why? I know other mfg have better rough water ride,s but it's these two rigs only in the mix.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-14-2014, 6:25 PM Reply   
Why not a 210 or xstar if you wakeboard 70% of the time?
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-14-2014, 8:03 PM Reply   
Ive always wondered what a sacked 220 wakeboard wake looks like. Ive heard its finicky, but i have no firsthand knowledge of it. Swat, Ive been looking for sacked pictures of our old 2010 wakeboard wake. If I find them, ill post em up. like you said on TT, long transition, but I will add its not very lippy like the 205V wake that I am used to.

I would go towards an 2nd gen star if you board that much!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-14-2014, 9:23 PM Reply   
While I know both of those boats have killer wakes it's the size and space that's also needed. The 210 has next to zero storage. Than 2nd Gen star is tight as all heck in the cabin and offers barely any advantage of space as compared to my OG Star. I have ridden both the 220 and the 15. The wakes are more my style behind the 220 once it's dialed, but I am not sold on the interior layout as of yet. The X15 is going to be a trade down in wakes so to speak, but I am getting older and no longer in search of the biggest and baddest wake available, nor can I afford it these days with current boat prices. I can see this boat being used as a more family oriented boat to enjoy with my family and daughter's friends so those features are more appealing at the current moment.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2014, 9:46 PM Reply   
Personally I find the 220 wake like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get....
If you ride with anything over stock you really need to ride 25mph to keep it stable. Its quite similar to the epic in style, steep and bootie but finicky. I don't have nay experience with the X15.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-15-2014, 7:40 AM Reply   
A friend of mine has an X15 and it's got a really nice wake. Cleans up at slow speeds with less weight for beginners. Get's huge and mackin when loaded down. The surf wave is also pretty good and you don't need the rubrail in the water to get it there. The greatest thing about the boat is really the amount of space. They did a great job of making a 21.5 boat feel like a 23 ft boat. The only thing that I didn't like about it was that the storage area under the front seats is a little wonky, and awkward to get a ballast bag to fit well under. Typical bow bags don't fit well in that space.

I have no experience with the 220.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 04-15-2014 at 7:43 AM.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-15-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
A friend had an x15 a couple years back and the wake was always clean and poppy. There was always quite a few people in the boat and I'm not sure what the weight set up was but I never had any complaints about the wake. The thing I loved about that boat was all the space, it does feel bigger inside than any other 21ft boat I have been on, tons of storage too.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-15-2014, 10:58 AM Reply   
Heres a good view of what the 220 wake looks like. Doesn't look like they have any probs with it at all.
looks huge & clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fsrvkNbta8
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-15-2014, 11:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
Heres a good view of what the 220 wake looks like. Doesn't look like they have any probs with it at all.
looks huge & clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fsrvkNbta8
I have no experience with this boat in specific, but it's pretty clear that they're riding pretty fast in this video, which helps wake clean up.
Old     (Therapy10)      Join Date: Oct 2011       04-15-2014, 11:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I have no experience with this boat in specific, but it's pretty clear that they're riding pretty fast in this video, which helps wake clean up.
In the comments they said 87' and 27 mph!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-15-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy10 View Post
In the comments they said 87' and 27 mph!
wow, I missed that

So yeah, that video is not representative of what I've seen most riders prefer, which is probably liable to be closer to the 22-23mph range.

I'm not saying that it's bad at 22mph, because I have zero experience with it, just saying that it's something to consider when comparing that video.
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-15-2014, 1:29 PM Reply   
I have ridden the 220 with additional ballast (lead & sacks) the most, it can be finicky but we found the easiest way to sort it was run with a 20ltr gas container in the cabin and when you are setting up just move it around to balance the boat (you may have to move it when you change direction). If you look under the engine cover you will see how far that bad boy sits down so it has a high centre of gravity compared to most boats as the floor is relatively high. Personally I quite like the wake and usually run 85ft @ 23mph (I ride the same length on the 205v xstar @ 24mph). You will find that a 220 is pretty good for the surf but is better suited for the port side surfer due to the prop rotation (06-07 vintages).

Have done lessons for beginners @ school camps from the 220 and have found that the wake can be a bit intimidating for first crossings due to size when the boat is empty even at 14mph unless you run a long rope.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-15-2014, 4:30 PM Reply   
Wow! That was a awesome vid! I've scene promo vids for other major brands that looked weak compared to that vid!

Anyway I ride a x-15 quite a bit and can tell you that if you want additional ballast over stock your gonna need some exposed bags in the front. Just not enough bow weight can be hidden. It's a nice wake real easy and mellow. Might not be enough lip for some people though. Decent amount of storage I'd say, pretty cavernous passenger helm storage but really I don't see that it has that much more than the 08 plus gen 210 for storage. In fact I'd say now and rear locker storage is identical if not larger on 210. And with reversible seating on a the 210 passenger seating is probably nicer for watching riders ride.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-16-2014, 6:19 AM Reply   
I love my X15. I mostly wakeboard and spend time with the family. Storage is fantastic and the lay out offers more space than you would expect from a 21.5 boat. The attached pic is 3 adults, 4 young kids, 125 lbs lead in nose, factory full, plug n play full. I think that's somewhere around 2750 total of people and ballast. I'm 6'2" for reference. Wake is always clean and crisp no matter the speed. I'm anxious to try it this year with another 1000 just for fun.

Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-16-2014, 7:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
While I know both of those boats have killer wakes it's the size and space that's also needed. The 210 has next to zero storage. Than 2nd Gen star is tight as all heck in the cabin and offers barely any advantage of space as compared to my OG Star. I have ridden both the 220 and the 15. The wakes are more my style behind the 220 once it's dialed, but I am not sold on the interior layout as of yet. The X15 is going to be a trade down in wakes so to speak, but I am getting older and no longer in search of the biggest and baddest wake available, nor can I afford it these days with current boat prices. I can see this boat being used as a more family oriented boat to enjoy with my family and daughter's friends so those features are more appealing at the current moment.
I know a guy with a x15, he probably would be willing to give you a first hand experience if you want; his boat is actually for sale too. Finally moving on from the og star huh? If you ever miss it, you can always come for a ride on the river.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-16-2014, 8:50 AM Reply   
That X15 wake looks big and steep with a good lip. Looks like the type of wake that would boost up for sure.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-16-2014, 9:14 AM Reply   
I know absolutely nothing about the wakes but looking at the boats I like the layout and look of the X15 much better.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-16-2014, 12:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
I know a guy with a x15, he probably would be willing to give you a first hand experience if you want; his boat is actually for sale too. Finally moving on from the og star huh? If you ever miss it, you can always come for a ride on the river.

MattieK is talking about me. Once I get it out of storage (as long as it doesn't sell), I'd be happy to give you a pull. I think the X15 wake is a lot like the 1st pickle fork XStar wake. The shape depends on where you place the weight. I've been putting a little more weight in the rear and it gives it a bit more lip.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-16-2014, 2:50 PM Reply   
That's a nice wake in that pic and that dude in the video was throwing down.

Thanks Mattie
We are looking at moving to a bigger body of water, and with that we will most likely be entertaining way more with friends. Going to need a bit bigger ride that handles the bigger water a better and holds about two families.

PLR
Shot you a pm Got the details on your 15?
Old     (seth25)      Join Date: May 2010       04-16-2014, 5:37 PM Reply   
This boat for sale in Denver.

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/4418361419.html
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-17-2014, 10:58 AM Reply   
Here is the link to my ad on Team Talk incase you didn't get my email last night.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=50296