Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-19-2015, 4:03 PM Reply   
Found these wakeboard racks on ebay and wonder if anyone knows anything about them or has used them? I like how they do not use any bungees, but wonder how well they hold up and how well they work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200948061897...MakeTrack=true
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-24-2015, 3:32 PM Reply   
Seems like a sound concept. I haven't seen them myself. My only concern would be if the pressure of the center bar might be enough to start making an indent on the board.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-24-2015, 7:25 PM Reply   
Wow, way more simple than the clamping board rack from most of the OEMs. It's like a $2000+ upgrade on a tige for clamping board racks, that don't work all that well anyway. I don't think it would dent boards, only concern would be how well the lock works.

Outside of the box cool concept for sure
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-25-2015, 2:40 PM Reply   
When I first saw it, I wondered if it could damage the boards but then also thought how much beating boards can take at cable parks and keep on going.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-25-2015, 2:41 PM Reply   
Not much out there on these racks and haven't heard of anyone that has used them so I am hesitant to try one out.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-25-2015, 3:56 PM Reply   
At that price it's not to bad if it doesn't work out.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-25-2015, 7:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowwboy View Post
At that price it's not to bad if it doesn't work out.
150.00 paper weight?
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-26-2015, 6:39 AM Reply   
What about rough water? Could you hit hard enough to knock it loose? We all get in some rough waters from time to time and I would worry about that alot. I do like the concept though.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-26-2015, 11:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
150.00 paper weight?
Drill a hole and put a bungee strap on it and you have the rack that all the china re sellers have.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-27-2015, 10:06 AM Reply   
Just a thought, but these could actually be better than the bungee racks in rough water. The boards fit loosely in the bungee racks and flop around in rough water, whereas these sandwich racks hold the boards still and firm.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-01-2015, 10:05 AM Reply   
I'd try it if they had one to fit the illusion tower. Looks like a great idea!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-11-2015, 11:58 PM Reply   
Might be hard to get the boards in and out while out on the water?
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-12-2015, 9:41 AM Reply   
I went ahead and bought this rack about a month ago and put it on my boat a week ago. The rack seems to be a very well built product and the finish looks good (time will tell how good it holds up). With two boards in the rack it works great and holds the boards in solid and with thicker boards it will hold one in the rack solid. I ride a ronix code 22 and the board was not snug in the rack when by itself. I ended up adding electical tape under the rubber guards on the fingers that spin to sandwhich the board in the rack(you can not see the electrical tape as it is covered). This has worked fine and my board is now secure with no movement even on double ups, but my buddy has a slingshot board that is thinner than my code 22 and his board is still not secure in the rack by itself even after adding the electrical tape. I think I will try to find some clear tubing to apply over the spinning fingers as well so the rack works with thinner boards. But like I said, I have only had a problem with one board in the rack, when there are two boards in the rack they have always been very secure. The rack functions just as advertised, very simple to use and much cheaper way of having a rack with no bungees. With the modification of widening the spinning fingers this rack holds the board or boards in very secure with no movement. Overall I am pleased with the rack and its build quality, especially for the price as I was tired of dealing with bungee cords all the time. Time is the only last test for the rack to see how well it holds up over the summer.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-12-2015, 2:24 PM Reply   
Take any pictures?
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       04-13-2015, 12:01 PM Reply   
Ebay add added to watch list. Will also be keeping an eye on this thread. Nice concept indeed!
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-13-2015, 1:17 PM Reply   
Forgot to get pictures. Should be able to get some this week though.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-14-2015, 12:42 PM Reply   
keep us posted, looks like a good deal
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-14-2015, 3:37 PM Reply   
A pool noodle or pipe insulation cut down would probably work to keep the slop out when you have different sized boards.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-14-2015, 6:26 PM Reply   
Here are pictures of the rack mounted. I was able to mount it onto an aerial swivel but had to drill new holes in the swivel for it to work. I like my racks to swivel though for pulling into covered docks.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-15-2015, 9:25 AM Reply   
Careful with the black electrical tape. When that stuff warms up it'll start rubbing off on your board.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-15-2015, 11:33 AM Reply   
The black electrical tape is actually under the rubber sleeves so there is no contact of the electrical tape and the boards.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-15-2015, 12:02 PM Reply   
Do they lock in pretty easy? Is there a video of how they work?
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-15-2015, 12:23 PM Reply   
How much pressure is applied to the boards? Do you think it would work on surf boards?
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-15-2015, 3:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Do they lock in pretty easy? Is there a video of how they work?

It is a very simple rack to use. I can get a video next time out and upload it if I can figure out how. But all you do to tighten it is pull the release down(little raised circle in photo on lever) with your thumb and pull the lever into the lock position.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-15-2015, 3:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowwboy View Post
How much pressure is applied to the boards? Do you think it would work on surf boards?

I have not tried it with a surf board. I don't think a surf style board would fit in it but a skim style board would. There are different settings you can lock the lever in so you can tighten it as little or as tight as you want.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-16-2015, 11:00 AM Reply   
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-16-2015, 11:03 AM Reply   
Wow these are actually pretty cool!! I hadn't really understood how they worked until I saw the video.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-17-2015, 3:23 PM Reply   
If you had two different thickness boards like say a Slingshot and a Hyperlite Marek or something one would be tight and the other loose. Good concept but needs some kind of adjustment like those auto adjusting crescent wrenches that will press against one then keep turning to tighten up to the other one. Same thing if you had a surfboard and any wakeboard on there.
Old     (Therapy10)      Join Date: Oct 2011       03-24-2016, 5:17 AM Reply   
Any update on this wakeboard rack? How is it holding up with time? I need another rack for the boat and like this style but the newness is a little concerning for longevity.