Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dbrendel)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-01-2014, 10:37 AM Reply   
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-01-2014, 11:28 AM Reply   
why are the two tabs so different? That's odd.

edit: nvmd, the one i'm looking at is the regular trim tab in the center.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-01-2014, 11:32 AM Reply   
I think there are three and you can only see the closest and center one.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-01-2014, 11:36 AM Reply   
It will be interesting to see how it works since this is really the first deeper V boat to have a surf system.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-01-2014, 12:30 PM Reply   
Looks like they went with the same idea as the Supra Swell...

Supra:

MB Sports:

Last edited by trayson; 08-01-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       08-01-2014, 1:26 PM Reply   
I hope it is affordable to add to my 2014 F22.
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-01-2014, 1:31 PM Reply   
They need to make these mass produced so we can add them to any boat
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-01-2014, 1:37 PM Reply   
Why is it a video about airplanes?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-01-2014, 1:44 PM Reply   
It does look the same as the Supra SWELL system. Not sure if there are copyrights or anything, but if it is any consolation, the system should work, cause it does for Supra and MC uses a similar concept....
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-01-2014, 2:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Looks like they went with the same idea as the Supra Swell...
The MB designer left MB for Supra if I remember right. He could have already been working on it and MB was just slow to put it into production?
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       08-01-2014, 2:09 PM Reply   
said designer is now at centurion iirc. wonder if it'll show up there next as a replacement for the switchblade.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-01-2014, 2:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
It does look the same as the Supra SWELL system. Not sure if there are copyrights or anything, but if it is any consolation, the system should work, cause it does for Supra and MC uses a similar concept....
I think there are several companies that have the 3 trim tab approach going, aren't there?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-01-2014, 2:50 PM Reply   
The only ones I knew of were Supra, MC and now MB..... Is anyone else doing it?
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-01-2014, 3:01 PM Reply   
Quick switch from side to side is cool but the surf wake doesn't look that great to me. At least in the short clip. Maybe stock ballast? Hope that's true about the designer being at Fineline. Would like to retro my V226 if it makes its way to that model. Should make my already great wake even better.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-01-2014, 5:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
The only ones I knew of were Supra, MC and now MB..... Is anyone else doing it?
Sanger XTZ models have 3 trim tabs.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-03-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
And were the first to do it.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-03-2014, 9:04 AM Reply   
except that the sanger "system" doesn't actually work, does it? I mean I've never seen an evenly weighted sanger with someone switching from side to side behind the boat?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-03-2014, 9:48 AM Reply   
I doubt retrofit kits will become readily available from the boat manufacturers.
As I'm sure it would dig into their pockets.
Im betting they would not come close profit wise in selling the retrofit systems for existing boats vs consumers upgrading to surf system equipped models
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-03-2014, 10:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
except that the sanger "system" doesn't actually work, does it? I mean I've never seen an evenly weighted sanger with someone switching from side to side behind the boat?
I have no idea, as I too, have been trying to find more information on it. I haven't seen anyone post their experience with any of the XTZ models, with the exception of the 237, but nothing specifically on the trim tab use and real world benefits.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-03-2014, 2:52 PM Reply   
I am an MB fan hope to see a better video though. Never got really clean, but I'm sure it will work seing as its very similar to the Swell and I know it works.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-04-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
I think Epic had a 3 trim tab system as well.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-04-2014, 11:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
I would be interested in what would happen if sanger owners, or anybody with the 3 tab system for that matter, would bend the last inch or two of the tab to a 45-90 degree angle. They would have to make sure the tab comes up enough to still let the end of it to clear the water when under way but I would think it would have a similar affect as a swell/switch/NSS/mastercraft surf tab system.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-04-2014, 11:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
I would be interested in what would happen if sanger owners, or anybody with the 3 tab system for that matter, would bend the last inch or two of the tab to a 45-90 degree angle. They would have to make sure the tab comes up enough to still let the end of it to clear the water when under way but I would think it would have a similar affect as a swell/switch/NSS/mastercraft surf tab system.
except that what switch and swell also share is much greater throw to the tab... approaching 90* vs the less than 45 that can be accomplished from a transom mounted actuator. I'm sure that additional deployment has to be critical to performance.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-04-2014, 12:12 PM Reply   
true but if you have a 90 degree bend in the standard trim tab it would end up the same affect other than the surface that is at that 90 degrees would be less than that of swell/switch. Now, the throw might be a problem in that there might not be enough to pull the tab all the way out of the water when under way which is obviously a necessity. I am also not trying to argue that it would work as well as as swell/switch but it may make the normal flat surf tab work better than it does for basically zero $$$$$.

I am interested to see the results of this switch system. This is the first real surf system on a deeper V boat and it will be interesting to see how it works as compared to on a more rounded/flat hull. In the end I think it will be the best of all worlds. You can use the switch if you want to evenly weight for a surfable wake but if you want a "perfect" wave you can list the boat (and maybe use in conjunction with the switch system. Basically the only thing these MBs might be less than awesome at would be ski wake and maybe the low speed clean wake. I am guessing the ski wake isn't a big deal for most buyers in that segment. With this you will get a very nice boat with a great rough water ride, listed surf wake, evenly weighted surf wake and intermediate-pro wakeboard wake. Sounds like a great combo.