Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2014, 11:09 AM Reply   
I need to pick up a New washer and dryer combo. The ones at the lake house are OLD OLD OLD! (they must be 30+ years old) & just not cutting it.

I need a Electric Dryer, Or lets just say a Electric dryer would be much easier because I wouldn't have to run a Line. I have a LG combo at home it works fine so that ws going to be my default but thought I should check in here b4 I went on the quest. I don't mind used in fact Craigs list has some good options. Any brands or models to avoid??

Thanks
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-04-2014, 11:15 AM Reply   
I know the general consensus is to get a front loader, however, after a pair of Kenmores, I will never own another set. I bought a Speed Queen washer/dryer. They are borderline commercial grade and after 3 years have never missed a beat.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
Yes front loader all the way
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-04-2014, 11:54 AM Reply   
No to the front loader. They end up getting mold and crap in the door. We dumped ours after leaks mold etc. Never going back.
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       06-04-2014, 12:50 PM Reply   
I have a Samsung front loader, Which replaced a Whirlpool front loader piece of shat. The Samsung is going on 7 years no stink, no leaks, no mold, a total workhorse with no problems.

My Mother-in-law has a front loading Maytag, which she has to leave door open after every load or it stinks.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-04-2014, 12:51 PM Reply   
I actaully have a set of early/mid 2000s Kenmore washer and dryer and love them. I picked them up used on craigslist for like $200 for the set.
They are I believe the 50 and 70 series.
They both are extra capacity and can wash and dry comforters and sleeping bags if we need them to.
They also have the quiet pak add on which makes them not terribly loud unless you're in the room with them.
The dryer is sensitive to having a clean exhaust path though. If it isn't clear and is built up with lint it will take twice to dry stuff. As long as it's clean it's fine.

Everything in my house, except for my Microwave and Dishwasher are Kenmore (aka Whirlpool/Maytag) I didn't intend it that way, but it kind of happened between what was there and what we bought ourselves. I haven't had a single problem with any of it.

Also about the front loaders. They are fine so long as you maintain the seals on them. If you don't and only use them, they will start to leak. Also all washers, top loader, or front loader, that are sealed well, will start to stink if you wash clothes and then immediately close the door/lid. They are supposed to air out, because there is still some residual water in there. We had that issue with our top loader washers over the years. Leaving the lid open fixes that.

Last edited by phathom; 06-04-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2014, 1:10 PM Reply   
My LG Tromm units have been very good. I just did a check on consumer reviews and the LG front loaders have top marks. So I think I'll go down that path. That's good advice about leaving the lid open I never thought about it but it's great advice thanks.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2014, 5:26 PM Reply   
I picked up this Combo from a guy for $800. He payed over $1600 not even a year ago and moved out of his house and needed them Gone! They have the Steam option on both washer and dryer SCORE!
the reviews on these units were great so that made it a easy choice.
Attached Images

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-05-2014, 5:48 AM Reply   
LG have consitently ranked at the top of the list for years in teh front load W/D reviews. I have a 5 year old set of LG front loaders. Never had any issues. Mine look very similar to those ^^^^.

I do leave the door cracked and the detergent compartment cracked when not in use. I also run those TIde cleaning pods thru once a month.