Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    BamaMojo            10-07-2015, 2:30 PM Reply   
Just thought some might like to see a custom tow vehicle... Thoughts?????
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       10-07-2015, 3:06 PM Reply   
I'd rock it.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-07-2015, 3:21 PM Reply   
I like it a lot. Might would go smaller on he runs. Looked hard at some of the 15 150s they are letting them go pretty good around here.. Just can't get the configuration I want.

Silver looks really good with the black and slight lift
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-07-2015, 3:41 PM Reply   
Rims*
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-07-2015, 5:02 PM Reply   
I personally like the smooth flares over the rivet style bushwackers but that's me.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-08-2015, 6:39 AM Reply   
I love them
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-08-2015, 8:20 AM Reply   
Great looking truck but that bad boy needs a turbo diesel in it! Where's fords answer to the 1/2ton diesels coming?
I'm really curious about the Cummings powered Nissan!
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-08-2015, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Great looking truck but that bad boy needs a turbo diesel in it! Where's fords answer to the 1/2ton diesels coming?
I'm really curious about the Cummings powered Nissan!

I think that actually geared more toward the 3/4 ton market and the ecoboost beats the dodge ecodiesel in every thing but fuel mileage
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-08-2015, 8:47 AM Reply   
Nice looking truck! I love the silver on those, reminds me of the Atlas concept truck that they presented a few years ago that I fell in love with. My buddy got a '15 platinum edition a few months back and we just took a small road trip to go hunting in it last week. Wow! Such a nice vehicle. He got the one with the massaging seats and stuff and dang is it sweet!
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-08-2015, 8:57 AM Reply   
Highly doubt ford jumps into diesel market with 2 feet. I wish. Seem to be heavily invested in ecoboost. Nissan and Toyota have nothing to loose with adding an HD half ton version with the cummins, ford already has a 3/4 ton and would be stealing sales from another of their models.

I would rather a cummins tundra than Nissan because I just have a hard time trusting a Nissan truck.. But that heavy duty steering box is convincing that they built it right.

Anyway these 15 f150s are really pretty trucks.
It really does look so close to that atlas concept!!

Just let me have my dang bench seat in black cloth! Haha dog won't have leather or consoles in her truck.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-08-2015, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
I think that actually geared more toward the 3/4 ton market and the ecoboost beats the dodge ecodiesel in every thing but fuel mileage

I like the 3/4ton concept.

I'd argue that it will lose out on resale and longevity as well. I'd like it or not a 100,000mile+ ecoboost is likely not gonna draw a lot of buyers.
I'm not say the current dodge Eco diesel is the ticket either but maybe the new 5cylinder cummins is.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-08-2015, 9:48 AM Reply   
Who is going with a 5 cylinder Cummins??
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-08-2015, 10:37 AM Reply   
It's a 5.0 Liter cummins v8

And agreed on high mileage ecoboost, I wouldn't do it. But I would rather not brand new anyway. Not a big v6 fan. If hey had done I6 would have been a different story

Last edited by King12; 10-08-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-08-2015, 11:33 AM Reply   
I'm sorry but f150's look like girly trucks, even with flares and a small lift. That truck screams "look at my lifted badass, cute 1/2 ton truck that never sees dirt". I would never buy one just on looks alone. That's just me though, get it if you like it.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-08-2015, 11:36 AM Reply   
Quote:

Isn't fuel mileage a big selling point though of the 1/2 ton Ram diesel? Then resale value will favor the Eco diesel all day.

Last edited by you_da_man; 10-08-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-08-2015, 11:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
I'm sorry but f150's look like girly trucks, even with flares and a small lift. That truck screams "look at my lifted badass, cute 1/2 ton truck that never sees dirt". I would never buy one just on looks alone. That's just me though, get it if you like it.

Like 99% of the Rams in the world?
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-08-2015, 12:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Isn't fuel mileage a big selling point though of the 1/2 ton Ram diesel? Then resale value will favor the Eco diesel all day.

Why is that? I assume you are hinting that the diesel is more reliable and durable than the turbo gas engine but I have seen no evidence claiming that that particular engine is more or less reliable than the ecoboost. And if it is, then how would the resale remain so much better with the rest of the truck falling apart around it?
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-08-2015, 1:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Why is that? I assume you are hinting that the diesel is more reliable and durable than the turbo gas engine but I have seen no evidence claiming that that particular engine is more or less reliable than the ecoboost. And if it is, then how would the resale remain so much better with the rest of the truck falling apart around it?

Let's be honest here. It isn't like ford is exactly known for putting together bullet proof high milage gasser motors are they? I'm also not saying that the dodge body is known for its longevity either but everyone who is anyone generally assumes diesel motors are easily 200k plus motors.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-08-2015, 1:59 PM Reply   
Quote:

A high mileage Ecoboost gas engine that never lived up to its mileage while towing to me would be off my radar vs a diesel truck with a reputable diesel engine with good mpg. The general public knows high mileage diesels will more than likely out last a high mileage gas. That's just the way it has been for decades. The Ecoboost hasn't been around long enough yet to see any good numbers on 200k+ mileage trucks. Quite a few guys in here who bought the highly anticipated Ecoboost are disappointed in it. Time will only tell though between a 1/2 ton Ram diesel vs the f150 Ecoboost but then again it's apples to oranges as far as engines goes. I haven't seen any evidence as far as a 1/2 ton diesel Ram falling apart though, have you?

Last edited by you_da_man; 10-08-2015 at 2:02 PM.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-08-2015, 2:02 PM Reply   
I've seen 5.4s with 300k plus on them. I had a ranger with 219,000 on it and another with 164,000 before i smashed it. I also think the 4.6s lasted a good bit too. Only engine failure in a vehicle my family has owned was my moms 3.8 L dodge caravan. Not saying ford are better than anyone else but it's all in how you maintain them. I have an 06 ram Hemi with 130k and only thing I've done is a water pump
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-08-2015, 2:09 PM Reply   
Not exactly sure why people are disappointed in the Ecoboost either. It's no lie. It's either Eco or boost....not both. Not sure what people expect with a boosted motor. Of course it's going to eat fuel when you are in to it. I've been more than happy with my EB and how well it tow's my boat though. While pulling my boat I can walk on some cars off the line or trying to get on the freeway.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-08-2015, 2:12 PM Reply   
While the 3 3v 5.4s we have had did well for us the current one (180k) has came phaser issues that are well documented. Sounds terrible at idle but not an actual power issue when doing anything. I wouldn't say ford is known as the best for engines at all. More for the truck in general, with Chevy taking the cake for gasser engines.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-08-2015, 3:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
A high mileage Ecoboost gas engine that never lived up to its mileage while towing to me would be off my radar vs a diesel truck with a reputable diesel engine with good mpg. The general public knows high mileage diesels will more than likely out last a high mileage gas. That's just the way it has been for decades. The Ecoboost hasn't been around long enough yet to see any good numbers on 200k+ mileage trucks. Quite a few guys in here who bought the highly anticipated Ecoboost are disappointed in it. Time will only tell though between a 1/2 ton Ram diesel vs the f150 Ecoboost but then again it's apples to oranges as far as engines goes. I haven't seen any evidence as far as a 1/2 ton diesel Ram falling apart though, have you?

I've only seen like two in my life so no not yet lol. But ram did just have to buy back 500,000 trucks do to issues... I have an ecoboost expedition and it's too early to claim a problem free life since it only has 2400 miles but so far it's great and we got 24 mpg on the way from Trinity to Katy Sunday. I also have a 2006 Ram Hemi and it's been pretty good but the expedition blows it away pulling the boat so far after the limited amount of towing I did. I got 12.7 pulling the boat for a relatively short distance at around 55 mph so I know that will be worse when I speed up but it's still about the same as the Hemi.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-08-2015, 3:34 PM Reply   
My 2011 Ecoboost is doing great. Just rolled 50k. Tow multiple boats per day at 5k-11k elevation. I have been getting around 17 mpg mixed city and highway unloaded. I get about 22 mpg on the highway.

I just did 700 miles from Denver to Moab and back with my 9,200 lb travel trailer, that is 2 10,000' passes each direction. I averaged 9.9 mpg round trip on mid-grade fuel and never dropped under 60 mph on the passes.

I have 3.73 gears, level, air bags, and 33.2" tires.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-08-2015, 4:08 PM Reply   
"Quite a few guys in here who bought the highly anticipated Ecoboost are disappointed in it. "

Please give me one example of someone who is disappointed in the performance. There are plenty of people that are upset about the fuel mileage, but that is only people that don't understand how forced induction works. Like bcrider said, "eco or boost".

Looking at today's resale market, looks like my truck has depreciated about 6-8k in 5 years and 50k miles. No complaints here.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-08-2015, 4:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
"Quite a few guys in here who bought the highly anticipated Ecoboost are disappointed in it. "

Please give me one example of someone who is disappointed in the performance. There are plenty of people that are upset about the fuel mileage, but that is only people that don't understand how forced induction works. Like bcrider said, "eco or boost".

Looking at today's resale market, looks like my truck has depreciated about 6-8k in 5 years and 50k miles. No complaints here.

You attempted to quote one sentence out of an entire paragraph talking about MILEAGE. Who said "performance"? You just validated my statement about "a few" people being disappointed about MILEAGE.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-08-2015, 5:08 PM Reply   
Read plenty of horror stories about ecodiesel's blowing up.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-08-2015, 5:12 PM Reply   
Great looking truck ! I love Fords but they're getting a little pricey.
Old    BamaMojo            10-09-2015, 5:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Great looking truck ! I love Fords but they're getting a little pricey.

Agreed, anything worth having is getting pricey!!
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-09-2015, 5:50 AM Reply   
Though it is incredible how much they've gone up. 45k+ for a half ton is just crazy. But they keep selling them.
Old    BamaMojo            10-09-2015, 6:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by King12 View Post
Though it is incredible how much they've gone up. 45k+ for a half ton is just crazy. But they keep selling them.

This truck is 66k
XLT super crew 4x4 is MSRP 48-50
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-09-2015, 6:54 AM Reply   
Yup.. What I meant by 45(baseline)+
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-09-2015, 7:26 AM Reply   
Is this a "roush" truck???

How exactly is it a custom tow vehicle? All I see are modifications that would make it worse for towing than a stock truck.

FWIW my 12 year old daughter is the biggest ford fan I know (not sure why)...and she can't stand the looks of the '15's. We both love the Raptor though (other than the bent frame syndrome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
While pulling my boat I can walk on some cars off the line or trying to get on the freeway.
LOL...Sure. You are at least around 16 seconds 0-60 pulling your boat so I suppose any cars slower than that you walk
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-09-2015, 8:21 AM Reply   
It takes you 16 seconds to get to 60 when towing?

Now that I time that out it doesn't seem like a crazy statement. But if you're modified I bet you can get decently faster than that. Plus I assume those other cars aren't actively trying to race him.

Last edited by King12; 10-09-2015 at 8:24 AM.
Old    BamaMojo            10-09-2015, 9:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
Is this a "roush" truck???

How exactly is it a custom tow vehicle? All I see are modifications that would make it worse for towing than a stock truck.

FWIW my 12 year old daughter is the biggest ford fan I know (not sure why)...and she can't stand the looks of the '15's. We both love the Raptor though (other than the bent frame syndrome)

LOL...Sure. You are at least around 16 seconds 0-60 pulling your boat so I suppose any cars slower than that you walk

You have a good point, Custom is is the eye of the beholder. I see custom as mods that alter from mfg specs. Again, I guess we all see differently.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-09-2015, 9:24 AM Reply   
Tim, no, the other person isn't trying to race me but the EB does have really good pick up and go when already rolling. I did have a hot shot kid in a Civic that didn't want to let me pass him on the highway. Even with him downshifting in to 4th and stomping it I could easily pull ahead of him but I was already doing 60mph and wasn't willing to go any faster while pulling my boat.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-09-2015, 9:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMojo View Post
You have a good point, Custom is is the eye of the beholder. I see custom as mods that alter from mfg specs. Again, I guess we all see differently.

I think I was just mislead by the Custom Tow Vehicle statement...Call it a custom truck and we are on the same page. My fear with "Custom" and "tow vehicle" in regards to your altering mfg specs is that they are not normally better(safer, more reliable, etc) than factory especially when we are talking about pushing weight limits by adding trailers

As far as the ecoboost being a beast accelerating...yep. Sounds like it is! I know my new Tundra is an absolute animal with or without the boat behind it and I know the ecoboost's pull even harder
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-09-2015, 10:06 AM Reply   
Lol if you're trying to go anywhere in a civic at 50 you better grab lower than 4th
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-09-2015, 10:30 AM Reply   
Tune only 2015 ecoboost trucks are putting down sub 13 second 1/4 miles, a 4x4 extra cab went 12.6.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-09-2015, 11:00 AM Reply   
Yes but If you read the Eco forums they are not sure how safe that tune was. But still very good for tune only and has me really interested in the new lighter F150,

MPT has a 93 octane tune that put down just over 400 rwhp on a 2015 ECO. I would take that any day and now you can direct swap the new Ford GT turbo into the F150 ECO for even more power. The only thing holding them back from huge HP is not enough fuel. Thats a lot cheaper than supercharging my denali 6.2.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-09-2015, 11:09 AM Reply   
If they had of done fuel delivery different people would be on corn pushing way o er 600 hp now. Stupid direct injection.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-09-2015, 11:23 AM Reply   
I heard the new raptor has the fuel thing fixed. Hopefully it will be an easy swap to an older 3.5 eco
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-09-2015, 11:43 AM Reply   
That's great to hear. The new raptor is going to be so dirty.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-09-2015, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Yes but If you read the Eco forums they are not sure how safe that tune was. But still very good for tune only and has me really interested in the new lighter F150,

MPT has a 93 octane tune that put down just over 400 rwhp on a 2015 ECO. I would take that any day and now you can direct swap the new Ford GT turbo into the F150 ECO for even more power. The only thing holding them back from huge HP is not enough fuel. Thats a lot cheaper than supercharging my denali 6.2.
Since I'm pretty good friends with the guy running it and looked at the logs I'm going to go ahead and say it's safe in my educated opinion.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-10-2015, 6:45 AM Reply   
Well I know there is a lot hate going on for the tuning in a certin Eco forum. Which is sad I dont really care either way. I think it's just a lot of people jumping on a band wagon. I hope your right because I would be all in for high 12's once I buy a 2015 Eco.
Old     (gunford)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-11-2015, 8:39 AM Reply   
I had a tune on my '13 ecoboost and had a turbo and both exhaust manifolds go. Warranty covered it but have decided not to tune my' 15.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-11-2015, 6:57 PM Reply   
If you don't mind me asking who tuned it????
Old     (gunford)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-13-2015, 11:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
If you don't mind me asking who tuned it????
I had custom tunes from 5Star.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-13-2015, 10:31 PM Reply   
What in the turbo failed? It is highly unlikely it had anything to do with a custom tune.
Old     (gunford)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-14-2015, 4:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmods View Post
What in the turbo failed? It is highly unlikely it had anything to do with a custom tune.
I think it was leaking oil. It may not have had anything to do with the tune. Part of my reasoning with my wife for a new truck was that I didn't want my engine to fail out of warranty and I wouldn't tube my new one.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-14-2015, 7:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunford View Post
I think it was leaking oil. It may not have had anything to do with the tune. Part of my reasoning with my wife for a new truck was that I didn't want my engine to fail out of warranty and I wouldn't tube my new one.
IMO the '15 doesn't need a custom tune like the previous generation. My initial impression after driving one was ford got slightly more aggressive with their factory tune and added more tip in throttle, I hated the throttle response of older ones, and hopefully cranked up the boost. Although without hooking up a device to the data port I have no idea what the peak boost is on a stock '15.
But my initial response is that the 15's are definitely faster in stock form than previous models.

Last edited by Gotmods; 10-14-2015 at 7:34 AM.
Old     (gunford)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-14-2015, 7:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmods View Post
IMO the '15 doesn't need a custom tune like the previous generation. My initial impression after driving one was ford got slightly more aggressive with their factory tune and added more tip in throttle, I hated the throttle response of older ones, and hopefully cranked up the boost. Although without hooking up a device to the data port I have no idea what the peak boost is on a stock '15.
But my initial response is that the 15's are definitely faster in stock form than previous models.
The '15 feels faster than my tuned 13 especially when in sport mode. Max boost on the gauge is 20psi so I have noticed the peak boost is about 14-15.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-14-2015, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunford View Post
The '15 feels faster than my tuned 13 especially when in sport mode. Max boost on the gauge is 20psi so I have noticed the peak boost is about 14-15.
I assume you had an sct tuner? If you still have it you could check your max boost. I'm just curious if Ford turned it up. Do you run premium fuel?
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-14-2015, 11:09 AM Reply   
Just buy a GM with the 6.2L with Max Towing Package. There is no replacement for displacement.

I'm really surprised that ford has virtually gone away from the V8 power. The Ecoboost is there thing. But I guess if your buying trucks from Mexico that makes sense......
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-14-2015, 1:15 PM Reply   
Don't get sassy with your government funded company.

V6s aren't my favorite but boost is an obvious replacement for displacement or else like every pro mod or dragster would be naturally aspirated. And they aren't. Plus it blows at altitude
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-14-2015, 1:53 PM Reply   
I have a 6.2 with a custom tune and LT headers with catless Y pipe and I'm taking a hard look at the 2015 ecoboost. It's pretty hard to look away from a truck that puts down alittle over 400 rwhp on tune only and is lighter than the other trucks.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-14-2015, 8:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
I'm really surprised that ford has virtually gone away from the V8 power. The Ecoboost is there thing..
Ecoboost is there as in right there in front of any other half ton on the market? Sub 13's with $400 in mods. That is stupid fast for a gas crew cab 4x4. Ford is starting to offer factory supported custom tuning, proving they've left safe power on the table. And I wouldn't count out a V8 vesion someday. Not that you care. Your displacement argument doesn't hold water when comparing the 6.2 to 3.5, put $400 into each truck, make a large wager, and watch the Ecoboost take your money every time. That's fact.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-19-2015, 7:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
Just buy a GM with the 6.2L with Max Towing Package. There is no replacement for displacement.

I'm really surprised that ford has virtually gone away from the V8 power. The Ecoboost is there thing. But I guess if your buying trucks from Mexico that makes sense......
Bring it up to altitude(Denver) and that displacement gets trumped by a turbo. Take it up I-70 towing a boat and watch as the Ecoboost towing the same boat drives right by you while your truck hunts for gears to even make it up to the 65mph speed limit. I like the 6.2, just not up here.
Old     (dilpickle)      Join Date: Aug 2013       10-19-2015, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Bring it up to altitude(Denver) and that displacement gets trumped by a turbo. Take it up I-70 towing a boat and watch as the Ecoboost towing the same boat drives right by you while your truck hunts for gears to even make it up to the 65mph speed limit. I like the 6.2, just not up here.
You might look up The Fast Lane Truck on Youtube as they test both of those trucks pulling a boat 0-60 in your (and my) backyard, just outside of Denver. Their Ike gauntlet challenges are pretty enlightening as well.

It was close- .2 seconds unloaded, .4 seconds with the boat trailer, but the DI 6.2 was quicker & mine gets the same mileage as a friend's Ecoboost while empty (much better when towing)

Last edited by dilpickle; 10-19-2015 at 2:22 PM.