Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-21-2020, 5:03 PM Reply   
Hi all,

The lake we ride at is very weedy and has recently been sprayed so there is lots of weed on the surface.

Boat is a Sanger V210 with the 315 Multipoint EFI Engine.

Coming back from riding the other night, there was a smell coming from the engine bay. We cut the engine, which looking at the gauge was hot.

Gave it a while to cool down and drove back to the ramp.

Today i pulled impeller and housing. Both look mint.

I run the boat up on the trailer with a fake a lake setup. It started to spit water our the exhaust, then stopped and started to get hot. No smells.

Obviously it appears something is stuck im between the intake and the impeller housing. Any advice what to do here?

THanks
Old     (noel)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-22-2020, 2:34 AM Reply   
Pull the hose off that connects the intake to the impeller and make sure it's clear. You might also have a strainer in the middle of that hose too. Fortunately the main intake hose is one of the easier ones to get to. You'll probably need some sort of tool to pry the hose off the barbs.

Hopefully it didn't get hot enough to blow a head gasket. Check the oil to make sure there isn't any water in it (no milkiness).

When you say it started to spit water, was that just water coming out the exhaust from being in the lake, or was it actually pumping?

Last edited by noel; 02-22-2020 at 2:36 AM. Reason: Correction
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-22-2020, 11:03 AM Reply   
It seemed at the start it was actually pumping, so maybe the blockage just moved.

Engine runs fine with no issues thankfully.

Will give that a go. Thanks for the reply.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-04-2020, 7:11 AM Reply   
probably worth checking out your impeller just to be sure its in good shape. they get torn up pretty bad if they get hot, since your engine got warm, almost guaranteed your impeller did. at least throw an extra in the boat.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-13-2020, 12:02 PM Reply   
The saga continues:

- i replaced the impeller with a new one
- pulled off the intake line from the pickup - nothing there. replaced with a new hose
- flushed water through the v drive from the intake side and then back through the other way
- inspected the filter which pumps from the impeller outlet (removed old chunks of impeller)
- replaced water pump and thermostat

engine gets up to temperature fine when on the trailer using the save a lake. water is being pumped out the engine.

once on a plane the engine temperature rises until the point it gets to 3/4 and i shut it off. a lovely rubbery smell coming from the engine

the belt (or something has squeaked a lot, however i think thats probably due to a stiff alternator pulley as the others have rescently been replaced).

any ideas? we are in the middle of our summer here and the boat shop is two weeks away.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       03-15-2020, 3:09 AM Reply   
If alternator pulley is stiff it could have messed up your belt, I would check the belt and after removing it to inspect, also check and turn all your pulleys by hand to be sure they feel smooth. Your belt could be slipping due to being stretched/etc or you may have a seized bearing or something else at your impeller pump which would keep it from turning right and not letting enough water thru when water is not being pumped into the system with a hose.
Otherwise there must be something inside the system clogging things up just enough to not allow impeller to not push enough water thru once you get on plane. I would check downstream from the impeller, if you had chunks of old impeller to remove then likely there is more downstream that is partially blocking the water flow.
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       03-19-2020, 5:31 AM Reply   
For grins, check to make sure you’re knock sensor wires haven’t come off the senders. I’ve run into a situation similar to this on a customers boat. He dewinterized himself and the engine ran like a scalded ape. Went through impeller, thermostat, and even pulled his water circulation pump to verify nothing was wrong there. Wound up being one knock sensor wire was left undone hanging down low and this resulted in the pcm ramping the full timing curve into the engine thinking everything was normal but would get hot.